Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I prefer no page turn buttons and a lower price. I don't need them and I don't want them. The touch screen lets me turn the page better then the buttons do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:03 PM   #32
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
6‘‘, yes.
Thanks. Having gone from a 6 inch Clara to a 6.8 inch H2O2, I can appreciate t that that is a significant difference for sure.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #33
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The comfort light. Otherwise they're pretty identical.
ok, thanks. You just saved me $300.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:39 PM   #34
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I wish my Kobo Clara had page turn buttons. I keep trying to swipe for page turn and accidentally activating the settings screen.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:39 PM   #35
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post

I still don't get it. Some are saying they prop it up in bed. Can't they just reach out and push the button or touch the screen? Seems a silly and involved way to turn the pages to me. I figure the reader can't be that far away. Most people here seem to have bad vision like I do...lol
If you can "just reach out" to to push a button, than you should be able to just reach out to tap or swipe (in general, ignoring the Fringe cases), so what are buttons needed for page turning?

Why would you want to "just reach out" if you don't have to. I think most people would want to turn pages the way that is easiest for how they read most frequently. If one is holding the reader and one's finger is on a button on the reader, than it makes sense to use a button. If it is comfortable to tap the screen, tap the screen. If it is comfortable to swipe, swipe. If it is comfortable to rest the reader in one's lap with one hand holding a remote, hold a remote. It isn't rocket science.

I most often read in bed or sitting with the reader in my lap. A remote would be more comfortable for me. The hands under a blanket would be another reason.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 07:45 PM   #36
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I suppose if their bedroom is cold and they don't want to reach a hand out from under the duvet, a remote might help; but would it work through the duvet?
As far as the duvet, I would say it depends on the duvet and the remote tech used. If it is typical duvet, and the remote is Bluetooth, then I believe it should work.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #37
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The remote is for those times you don't want to walk all the way across the room to turn the page on your reader
How many MR members does it take to use an ereader with buttons? Two, one to stick out his finger, and another to push his reader against the finger.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How many MR members does it take to use an ereader with buttons? Two, one to stick out his finger, and another to push his reader against the finger.
I'd add a third, as quality control. Someone needs to verify that page turned.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:01 PM   #39
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I have always preferred buttons over the touch screen as it keeps the screen cleaner and in a truly dry low humidity climate such as mine (Reno,NV) the capacitive touchscreen sometimes lacks touch sensitivity.

How do YOU feel about this change?
It doesn't just happen in your climate. I have the problem in the cold and my Mom often has problems now with her PPW1 because her fingers are cold (she is 85). I'm trying to get her to take the PPW3 I bought from Woot as the problem isn't as prevalent on that one. She's stubborn. She'd rather complain than upgrade for free.
I bought the Voyage originally because of the buttons (both 3 more after that).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:31 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
One as the firmware has been patched to disable the buttons because the touchscreen is so much better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:02 PM   #41
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One as the firmware has been patched to disable the buttons because the touchscreen is so much better.
Wrong. One to hold there finger out, and one to push the reader against the finger. Similar if you like to swipe.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #42
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Wrong. One to hold there finger out, and one to push the reader against the finger. Similar if you like to swipe.
Hey, if you're going to be swiping, we're gonna need to get a crew out here to safely move that reader back and forth.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:03 PM   #43
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
Buttons on both sides please, and bezels wide enough so fat thumbs dont activate the touch screen.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #44
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Hey, if you're going to be swiping, we're gonna need to get a crew out here to safely move that reader back and forth.
And if Jon is doing the moving, you will need one additional person to stick thier fingers in the ears of the reader while Jon proselytizes about needing cases on e-readers.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #45
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
Buttons on both sides please, and bezels wide enough so fat thumbs dont activate the touch screen.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
+10

Also wide bezels help keep thumbs from hovering over the screen which sometimes activate a page turn or turns.

Some of us have problems with touch screens as either it is too sensitive or not sensitive to a touch. The fingerprint id on a tablet is also useless.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote