Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-29-2019, 07:32 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
However, you could fix the thread y changing the topic to "Actually bought a pBook" or "Actually bought a paper book"
Can you guess what my answer to that unwarranted request is?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:56 PM   #17
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Lol! People will always find something to complain about.

Clearly I am someone who loves ebooks. So much so, that it was worth noting that I went to buy a book....something I hadn’t done in years.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:30 AM   #18
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

Clearly I am someone who loves ebooks. So much so, that it was worth noting that I went to buy a book....something I hadn’t done in years.
I hope you didn't carry your ebook reader in the book store with you, or at least wore sunglasses and a hat.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #19
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Physical bookstores are strictly required.

As I expressed in
Physical bookstores with a numerous (100'000+ volumes) collection?
«the chief purpose and benefit of electronic format is flexibility of use (storage, work etc.), but it does not match the importance of physical format for decision making (text sieving, discovery and assessment)»

Moreover, there is a fundamental principle which I increasingly find surprising I need to make explicit in current society: privacy and anonymity. The identity of the books I read, like almost everything else, is strictly personal to the outmost terms, by principle and more. There may be a subset which I may accept get stored in a database, and that remains an exception. For the rest, when I approach something, that remains a private event in which my identity and that of the object must remain concealed. A shopkeeper takes the cash and will not store the relation between the buyer and the purchased.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Moreover, there is a fundamental principle which I increasingly find surprising I need to make explicit in current society: privacy and anonymity. The identity of the books I read, like almost everything else, is strictly personal to the outmost terms, by principle and more.
The reason it's increasingly surprising to you is that its not a principle that's as fundamentally held as you believed it to be. *shrug*

I understand that some people feel that way--and that's fine. But like it or not, the internet is changing how society views privacy and anonymity. And there never was a "life, liberty, and the pursuit of anonymity" clause.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #21
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The reason it's increasingly surprising to you is that its not a principle that's as fundamentally held as you believed it to be. *shrug*

I understand that some people feel that way--and that's fine. But like it or not, the internet is changing how society views privacy and anonymity. And there never was a "life, liberty, and the pursuit of anonymity" clause.
Nice to meet you Dealer,
no, I did not mean that I believed it to be that fundamentally held. It has to be though fundamentally held that some live by that principle, and some make it even stricter as it is under constantly growing threat.

What you are calling the "«internet»" as a culture changer is a special construct resulting as a meeting point of interests and disingenuity. A historical fact, not a value. Culturally, with growing evidence, a paradoxical incident - the Cure bringing Sickness. It is causing in society a divide - as that force that you see is separating the naive, the enthusiast and the passive from the conservative. There was never a «life, liberty, and the pursuit of anonymity» clause probably around your parts (though that «liberty», "liberty from", could largely include that closure), while I grant you that it shall remain a tenet around mine - today, a stricter tenet and an unfortunate struggle.

You cannot buy a good amount of merchandise online, or not properly, not commonsensically, the same way you cannot buy a bride from a picture. You are supposed to touch cloth, for example - seeing it in picture cannot suffice. For books, it is partially like that: if only as one may want to browse content before purchase (you cannot otherwise). You may also want to have the whole collection, all the editorial series you may be interested in, available for browsing (again something not really given online). Then, it is a different experience to browse all the wealth directly in front of you spatially, instead of navigating through the obliged selections of a screen content. And I shall also add, it is good company and refreshing surroundings, all the attempts at knowledge and wisdom and wits around you, for some of us - as in, "name a better place". May I on this quote Leebase himself:

«It was nice being able to browse for a book. Nicer than browsing [...]. There is something about SEEING a book ...»
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:17 PM   #22
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow - nonsequiter forum drift alert!

I have for YEARS gone without buying a physical book...but am reading more books than ever.

Though true...when I buy a bride, I go to the physical bride-bonanza mart down the road instead of buying one online.

And, fwiw, unless you pay cash....and forgo your bookstore's "rewards card"....you are indeed being tracked...even with real books in a real book store.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:48 PM   #23
deynon
deynon began at the beginning.

Sincerely I don't find any war bydigital and paper books.
I still buy both of them continuosly.
Simply each of them has different strong points.

I prefer personally paper books,cause I like to be free fromdigital platform, electricity and file extension compatibility. And moreover cause I possess phisical books, with ebooks more often they are licences.
And you can consider it sutpid, but I like to feel the weight, the size, the colours, the touch feeling and the smell of the book. Not mind how many years go on, I simply love them.

but

ebooks have their own advantages.
Example I was able to read a book of a saga I like cause I found the ebook, the phisical book was unavalaible even after month to search for it. And 0t's one advantage: you gaain the book without need to wait, bring home and move all around to find it or to wait for it's delivering.
And some points for the paper books are still here on opposite side: exaple the weight of the book. I need only an ereader, a tablet, a phone and I can read the book, alot of books, jumping title by title wihout needing to bring the books phisically with me, it saves quite a lot the bck. The colours and the sizes, cause I can zoom in and out the imagines and see many more details then phisical books evntually or adjust the text to my preferrential reading.
With ebooks I can take notes without ruin the book itself (but the notes can be losr etc etc on downside too, so positive and negative eventually).
Ebooks are in perfect shapes, no need to growl when you find some defects in your new book (I'm quite maniac about perfect maintanance of the books).
Ebooks can bebrowsed easier. Cause you can see the associations and so on, see the reviews and the summary fast and easy and you can browse dozens of different genres and titles with easy. At the same time not neccessarily you'll find the ebook version of a paper on.

About prices...better not to say anything aout; lately ebooks cost even more than paper ones.

So these are some examples for each type.They are books, they are differnt types, simply. Sometimes are better ones, sometimes the other ones. Waht mind is reading and pleasure it.

I use both cause I need them for diferent reasons.
Cause I have space problems, lately I buy onlypaper books that I want to keep owning and want to preserve them and I buy digital books for the ones are not otherway avalaible or I want simply to read and not mind too much.

I less and less visitpsisical bookstores cause they nevr have the type of books I read, so no choice about.

But nothing beat the smell and the sight of a nice library that make you drool knowing how much choice, adventures and information is inside it.
deynon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:23 AM   #24
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
The last real book I bought was a copy of a friend's novel. Very proud of her for getting it finished and getting a publisher. Otherwise, e-books whenever possible. Old eyes prefer the flexibility, old bones, the reduction in heft.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:26 AM   #25
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Nice to meet you Dealer,
no, I did not mean that I believed it to be that fundamentally held. It has to be though fundamentally held that some live by that principle, and some make it even stricter as it is under constantly growing threat.

What you are calling the "«internet»" as a culture changer is a special construct resulting as a meeting point of interests and disingenuity. A historical fact, not a value. Culturally, with growing evidence, a paradoxical incident - the Cure bringing Sickness. It is causing in society a divide - as that force that you see is separating the naive, the enthusiast and the passive from the conservative. There was never a «life, liberty, and the pursuit of anonymity» clause probably around your parts (though that «liberty», "liberty from", could largely include that closure), while I grant you that it shall remain a tenet around mine - today, a stricter tenet and an unfortunate struggle.
After your first message in the thread, I wasn't clear if English is your second language and that is why I was having trouble following it. Thank you for the follow up. It's clear now.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:09 PM   #26
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:

I don't think anyone is complaining. It's just weird that you don't buy paperbooks and at the same time are happy that a book store is still around ...
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #27
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
I don't think anyone is complaining. It's just weird that you don't buy paperbooks and at the same time are happy that a book store is still around ...
I doubt I’m alone in this. I don’t shop at the mall except once in a great while. It’s just so much more convenient to shop online.

But I’m glad the mall is still there so I CAN go there. I realize that if everyone shopped like me the mall and book store will both cease to exist
Old 11-04-2019, 09:21 PM   #28
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I doubt I’m alone in this. I don’t shop at the mall except once in a great while. It’s just so much more convenient to shop online.

But I’m glad the mall is still there so I CAN go there. I realize that if everyone shopped like me the mall and book store will both cease to exist
I really don’t understand how this is a confusing concept. I might not use a resource but I can still be glad it is there for those who do, and in case the time comes when I will use it.

Imagine thinking the only things that should exist are things which you alone use on a regular basis.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:03 AM   #29
Flexderec
Flexderec began at the beginning.

Device: Kerisun
It seems stupid but I can manipulate a file, not a "real" book.
Flexderec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:31 AM   #30
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexderec View Post
It seems stupid but I can manipulate a file, not a "real" book.
Isn't that what liquid-paper/tipp-ex/wite-out was invented for?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote