Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-24-2017, 08:27 AM   #61
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You must use firmware for a PW2-4GB Kindle on a 9017, firmware for a PW2-2GB Kindle will not work.
(Which you just discovered.)
Oops! So what can be done now? Can the files that are provided in your thread the ones >5.7.4 work with my device? Can i use WinSCP to again do the same thing from the first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinoos View Post
Is it definitely a PW2?? Such an old model?! Bought second hand? The intial special factory downgrade version for that model is 5.4.3.2 (see post #1 step 3). This MUST be used. Not any other version... or you'll brick your device.
Actually I'm doing a Diags downgrade not the factory firmware one to any firmware. Diags Downgrade must work with any firmware. Done from the serial port!

Hope so I will be able to use my kindle again with all your support!
Feeling very guilty for the blunder made!

B.Baalaji

Last edited by baalajimaestro; 05-24-2017 at 08:46 AM.
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #62
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
Sirs, A Problem appeared while Diags downgrading my Kindle PW2(9017). It doesnt boot now. Undergoes a boot loop. OS used PW2 5.6.5 to flash.(the one I provided a link). When I extracted it with kindletool it showed kindle PW2 Intl as compatible. Dont know what happened.While this command was given:

Code:
zcat /mnt/us/rootfs.img.gz | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4096
Kindle gave back this to my terminal on linux

Seems like this should have more warnings!

How can de-brick my kindle?
Still diags works and i am able to ssh to my kindle!

Can I retry it with bin files from 5.8.7?

Please help me out!

B.Baalaji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinoos View Post
Is it definitely a PW2?? Such an old model?! Bought second hand? The intial special factory downgrade version for that model is 5.4.3.2 (see post #1 step 3). This MUST be used. Not any other version... or you'll brick your device.
Quote:
Oops! So what can be done now? Can the files that are provided in your thread the ones >5.7.4 work with my device? Can i use WinSCP to again do the same thing from the first?

B.Baalaji
You must have newer than 5.4.5.1 to support TLS with recent ca-certs file.
Ref: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202048000

Firmware 5.7.4(.0.1) will run both PW2-2GB and PW2-4GB models.
I do not recall how old you can go to still have a common firmware for the two models.
And if your PW-2 is from China (regardless of the model number), nothing 5.6.x or older will work. So watch out for things purchased used that may have originally been sold in China.

Try some and let us know. Maybe make up a Wiki table page with the information.
Also check the total flash size (you can tell the difference by checking the storage size of that visible over the USB cable - if you have more than 2GB storage for books, you don't have the 2GB model ).
Your 9017 should be one size and your B017 should be the other. Post what you find.

Be certain to transfer both the matching kernel (uimage) and the file system image.
The kernel modules are stored in two locations (some in the uimage, some in the file system image) and the must match.

There have been a zillion pages written here on manually de-bricking a Kindle. Read them. All touch screen devices are the same procedure, except for the file names.
You can find links to them in the Master Index sticky (the thread with "Where do I start?" in its title).
You'll be a real Kindle-Guru when you finish everything that geekmaster has written on the subject.

Last edited by knc1; 05-24-2017 at 09:01 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:48 AM   #63
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hopefully, the ones in your post will work if i'm right!
Meaning the first post of the software jb thread.

B.Baalaji
Old 05-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #64
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!

Quote:
And if your PW-2 is from China (regardless of the model number), nothing 5.6.x or older will work. So watch out for things purchased used that may have originally been sold in China.
Actually, purchased from amazon.in which doesn't ever show up these 2GB models for puchase. My 9017 maps to PW2 Intl when looked up in the serial number table!
Quote:
Also check the total flash size (you can tell the difference by checking the storage size of that visible over the USB cable - if you have more than 2GB storage for books, you don't have the 2GB model ).
Your 9017 should be one size and your B017 should be the other. Post what you find.
Flash Size >2GB or 4GB. Hence concluding it must be a 4GB variant.

Will soon try flashing 5.7.4 then...
Also please confirm me if those in your post work for the 4GB variant.

B.Baalaji

Last edited by baalajimaestro; 05-24-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:32 AM   #65
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- - - -

Flash Size >2GB or 4GB. Hence concluding it must be a 4GB variant.

Will soon try flashing 5.7.4 then...
Also please confirm me if those in your post work for the 4GB variant.

B.Baalaji
Yes they are, or we would have had many pages of problems.

I thought you posted that you had a B017 also?
That is, didn't you post that you had two different PW-2 models?

And yes, the "International" PW-2 was always 4GB.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #66
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!

Quote:
I thought you posted that you had a B017 also?
That is, didn't you post that you had two different PW-2 models?
Nope, I always metion my PW2 as 9017 only. Maybe you mistook. having only one 9017 Kindle.
Am still a student living under my parents money!

B.Baalaji
Old 05-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #67
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Nope, I always metion my PW2 as 9017 only. Maybe you mistook. having only one 9017 Kindle.
Am still a student living under my parents money!

B.Baalaji
Ah, so.
You must have been quoting the table entry (which has both in the same table cell).
Old 05-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #68
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!

Worked successfully... But lost jb. Looking under the var folder from diags revealed it was almost formatted. But glad /mnt/us wasnt touched at all!
Will do a software jb again!. Now I am not able to boot into Diags.

Thank You so much @knc1 for assisting throughout the de-bricking process.

B.Baalaji

Last edited by baalajimaestro; 05-24-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #69
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Worked successfully... But lost jb. Looking under the var folder from diags revealed it was almost formatted. But glad /mnt/us wasnt touched at all!
Will do a software jb again!. Now I am not able to boot into Diags.

Thank You so much @knc1 for assisting throughout the de-bricking process.

B.Baalaji
What selections did you make from the diags menu?
Old 05-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #70
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!

Quote:
What selections did you make from the diags menu?
Never tried to press anything except enable UsbNet. But after installing the OS, got a fresh kindle but with all documents.
Think so, Possibly while it was bricked it took away all files from /var

EDIT: Now software jb done. Back to only 5.7.4. Will put up BBB Filter to block off backdoor updates to >=5.8.8

B.Baalaji

Last edited by baalajimaestro; 05-24-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #71
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Never tried to press anything except enable UsbNet. But after installing the OS, got a fresh kindle but with all documents.
Think so, Possibly while it was bricked it took away all files from /var

EDIT: Now software jb done. Back to only 5.7.4. Will put up BBB Filter to block off backdoor updates to >=5.8.8

B.Baalaji
Then that might be either something that no one ever noticed before or a more recent change in the "Export USB" and "Update from USB" diags commands.

OR, that attempt to write an image file greater in size than the partition corrupted the partition formatting -
That is very possible, the actual number of sectors would not match what was read from the ext3 metadata, thus failing the file system check and then the normal image install process would "correct" p1 and p3.

To bad you didn't have the serial port connected where you could have captured and read the messages produced.

(You didn't have to use USBnetworking nor enter command line commands to re-load an Amazon update from diags.)

Last edited by knc1; 05-24-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #72
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!

Quote:
To bad you didn't have the serial port connected where you could have captured and read the messages produced.

(You didn't have to use USBnetworking nor enter command line commands to re-load an Amazon update from diags.)
Actually, I'm too afraid to open up my kindle. So stay safe with what is available through software methods. But then installed 5.7.4 and will never go back to 5.8.9 where I can never downgrade with a factory firmware.

B.Baalaji
Old 12-06-2019, 01:59 AM   #73
kzesoon
kzesoon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
My PW2 is jailbroken, FW 5.10.1.1. Is this method still working?
kzesoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:00 PM   #74
aholmes5
aholmes5 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aholmes5 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aholmes5 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aholmes5 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.aholmes5 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzesoon View Post
My PW2 is jailbroken, FW 5.10.1.1. Is this method still working?
I just downgraded a 4gb PW3 from 5.11.2 to 5.9.6.1 today using this method. Jailbreak is preserved but you will need to reinstall the hotfix afterwards. Recommend doing this immediately.
aholmes5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:22 AM   #75
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
Downgraded my 2 GB Paperwhite 2 from 5.11.2 to 5.9.6.1 today as well. Any reason you chose that firmware to downgrade to, @aholmes5? I just chose it because you chose it. Seemed like a safe bet.
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downgrade firmware, firmware downgrade