Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #31
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
@geekmaster, if you mean use Kubrick to activate diags mode via USB Downloader connection, that won't work post-KT.
The Rescue Pack and Cowards Rescue Pack is much more reliable.
I meant to use kubrick merely as a bootable linux, so you can SSH in. I was multitasking at the time I posted (visitors), or I would have mentioned using whatever SSH tool a Mac has available (but no specific suggestions due to lack of Mac experience).

You still need to get to diags, and into SSH yourself (which I tried to make clear in my post). Of course, there is no magic key (nor is it needed) if you use RP (diags SSH) and ENABLE_DIAGS or CRP to get into diags.

So really, linux isn't needed - just whatever tools you can use on a Mac to SSH into the kindle diags, then follow those instructions I linked to (starting with diags).

You can use "kindletool" to extract contents (rootfs and kernel) from an update*.bin file from amazon. You can write those into the kindle MAIN partition while booted to diags, using the instructions at the "Simple Debricking" thread (starting at diags).

I should quit posting for awhile. Sorry if I am repeating myself.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-23-2016 at 06:17 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #32
susmoka
Enthusiast
susmoka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Ok so I've done the first 2 prerequisites and the first part of the 3rd (i.e. installing USBNetwork hack), but I am stuck at the next:

iii) it would be a good idea to also install the USBNetwork hack (also available in NiLuJe's snapshots thread), setup ssh access (the process is described in the wiki) and try to connect to the Kindle; I used PuTTY on a Windows PC.

Do I HAVE TO do this? Or can I skip it?
I dont really understand much of what's written in the Wiki here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...USB_Networking

and it's a very long Wiki post. Which part of it should I focus on, in case I need to do what's written there?

Cheers!

Last edited by susmoka; 06-23-2016 at 07:01 PM.
susmoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:09 PM   #33
susmoka
Enthusiast

From step number 6) (I'm not here yet, but have a potential question already)

Shall I just type 192.168.15.244 and the rest of the commands to the Terminal on Mac and it'll automatically perform the magic on my Kindle?
Old 06-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #34
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susmoka View Post
From step number 6) (I'm not here yet, but have a potential question already)

Shall I just type 192.168.15.244 and the rest of the commands to the Terminal on Mac and it'll automatically perform the magic on my Kindle?
Nope. Not at all. You need an SSH utility. You need to manually assign an IP address to the RNDIS interface on the Mac. And if you succeed, you get a command line prompt (linux shell) into your kindle. Then you type all the magic linux commands, and make sure you pay attention to any messages. That is why kubrick was made for the older kindles, because a command shell can be very intimidating to some folks.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:54 PM   #35
susmoka
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Nope. Not at all. You need an SSH utility. You need to manually assign an IP address to the RNDIS interface on the Mac. And if you succeed, you get a command line prompt (linux shell) into your kindle. Then you type all the magic linux commands, and make sure you pay attention to any messages. That is why kubrick was made for the older kindles, because a command shell can be very intimidating to some folks.
OMG this sounds very complicated.

Edit: AH nevermind managed to do step 2 , hoooray

Last edited by susmoka; 06-23-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #36
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Ok so I've done the first 2 prerequisites and the first part of the 3rd (i.e. installing USBNetwork hack), but I am stuck at the next:

iii) it would be a good idea to also install the USBNetwork hack (also available in NiLuJe's snapshots thread), setup ssh access (the process is described in the wiki) and try to connect to the Kindle; I used PuTTY on a Windows PC.

Do I HAVE TO do this? Or can I skip it?
I dont really understand much of what's written in the Wiki here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...USB_Networking
Yes, you MUST verify you can connect with USBNetwork. Well, you don't have to but you will feel silly if you waste time on the later steps and then realize it doesn't help because you cannot USBNetwork into the Kindle.

and it's a very long Wiki post. Which part of it should I focus on, in case I need to do what's written there?

Cheers! [/QUOTE]

Just that one header section. When you get to "Automatically enabling USB network at boot" you know you've gone further than needed.

Problem is, it doesn't describe the Mac OSX process, and I am not sure where instructions for that might be, so...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:43 PM   #37
geekmaster

You do not need to install usbnetwork, but you must install the rescue pack (which installs usbnetwork into diags). To flash the main partition (which contains the normal kindle environment where you read books) you must boot to diags (so it is safe to overwrite main). Do start ssh in diags, most kindles use diags menu options N) U) Z) X).

Beware that some of those instructions were written with the K5 was the newest kindle, and things have changed a little. The important thing is to flash a partition and its matching kernel together, as instructed, for your selected firmware version (and that it match your kindle model, with some allowable variance).
Old 06-23-2016, 08:58 PM   #38
susmoka
Enthusiast

Ok guys, I have a problem.

I managed to downgrade to 5.4.5.1 using the diags mode and following all the instructions here. (I followed ALL and it worked, that's not the problem)

Now, since I also got the error message ''Your Kindle is no longer a test Kindle and is unable to test items previously signed by authorized developers. If you want your device to be a test Kindle again, please contact the developer.''
when I tried to open KUAL (same as the original poster), moreover, I couldn't reinstall the original 5.6.5 jailbreak because it gave me an error at Step 2 (it has closed the Experimental Browser by itself), I tried to just install the bridge to get back the jailbreak:

update_jailbreak_bridge_1.7.N_install.bin

which I installed, and now tried to reboot my Kindle but it only opens in diags mode and I dont know how to exit it. Even if I click X) Exit , it doesnt want to exit...

How can I get back my normal working jailbroken Kindle and quit this stupid diags mode?

Last edited by susmoka; 06-23-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:09 PM   #39
geekmaster

Quote:
... Now, since I also got the error message ''Your Kindle is no longer a test Kindle and is unable to test items previously signed by authorized developers. If you want your device to be a test Kindle again, please contact the developer.''
when I tried to open KUAL (same as the original poster), moreover, I couldn't reinstall the original 5.6.5 jailbreak because it gave me an error at Step 2 (it has closed the Experimental Browser by itself), I tried to just install the bridge to get back the jailbreak:

update_jailbreak_bridge_1.7.N_install.bin

which I installed, and now tried to reboot my Kindle but it only opens in diags mode and I dont know how to exit it. Even if I click X) Exit , it doesnt want to exit , it reboots and restarts again in diags mode.
First thing: be sure wireless is off so it cannot auto update.

Use the exit menu in diags and select "disable diags". Also when rebooting, you cannot have the USB cable connected if you have Cowards Rescue Pack installed.

That "test kindle" message means you need to install MKK again.

I and a couple others had failures when trying to do the 5.6.5 jailbreak. We are not sure why.

But you can get to diags, so no problem. You can manually install the jailbreak key using more linux commands to mount the main partition and copy the jailbreak key onto it manually, if you cannot get the jailbreak process to work.

Good luck...
Old 06-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #40
susmoka
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
First thing: be sure wireless is off so it cannot auto update.

Use the exit menu in diags and select "disable diags". Also when rebooting, you cannot have the USB cable connected if you have Cowards Rescue Pack installed.

That "test kindle" message means you need to install MKK again.

I and a couple others had failures when trying to do the 5.6.5 jailbreak. We are not sure why.

But you can get to diags, so no problem. You can manually install the jailbreak key using more linux commands to mount the main partition and copy the jailbreak key onto it manually, if you cannot get the jailbreak process to work.

Good luck...
Ahh, thanks for this, managed to exit diags mode and reboot.

And magically, now KUAL works again! I dont even know what happened, maybe the bridge file (update_jailbreak_bridge_1.7.N_install.bin) took effect (that I installed lastly). Also my books magically reappeared, most of them went missing after the downgrade.

Another question: if I exit the Airplane Mode and now keep my Kindle with Wifi turned on, should I be worried about an auto-update any time? I don't want to do this whole process again.

Thanks again!

Last edited by susmoka; 06-23-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:48 PM   #41
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The jailbreak + MKK includes its own bridge, and all you needed to do was make an *additional* reboot.

As for your books disappearing, the Content Catalog knows how to handle firmware updates (obviously) but downgrades are a whole different kettle of fish -- any changes in the format will confuse older firmwares. Did you do anything special with it? It may have had to reload everything first.

Yes, you will need to apply an anti-OTA method, there are a couple options listed e.g. BackDoorLock (I can never remember its current status), the update.bin.tmp.partial/ folder trick, etc.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:57 PM   #42
susmoka
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The jailbreak + MKK includes its own bridge, and all you needed to do was make an *additional* reboot.

As for your books disappearing, the Content Catalog knows how to handle firmware updates (obviously) but downgrades are a whole different kettle of fish -- any changes in the format will confuse older firmwares. Did you do anything special with it? It may have had to reload everything first.

Yes, you will need to apply an anti-OTA method, there are a couple options listed e.g. BackDoorLock (I can never remember its current status), the update.bin.tmp.partial/ folder trick, etc.
No, I didn't, they just reappeared after the second reboot as well.

Thanks I'll check the options to block a silent OTA.

Thanks very much geekmaster and eschwartz! Soooo happpy now!

Last edited by susmoka; 06-23-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:27 PM   #43
geekmaster

Glad you got it accomplished. I am still getting used to these new-fangled ways, with viral jailbreak methods that need multiple reboots, and such like things. Still old-school thinking here, I am afraid. But I do learn new ways. Eventually... And thanks for pointing that out (again) eschwartz!
Old 06-23-2016, 11:26 PM   #44
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Yeah, well, it's not our fault Amazon wipes the jailbreak during a firmware update these days.
On the other hand, we get full firmware backups, so you win some, you lose some.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:29 PM   #45
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
You two could come downstairs and play. I need to up my post count.

Seriously, great advice.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downgrade firmware, firmware downgrade