Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
TonytheBookworm
Addict
TonytheBookworm is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 2, kindle 3, Kindle fire
Kindle Lendables

Anyone know if there is a program (search feature whatever) that will search amazon for lendable books? I was thinking surely amazon has something in its AWS (Web Services) that flags rather or not a book is lendable. I was wondering if there would be a possible way to run some kinda http rack or some other parser against amazon and get a complete list of books that are lendable to create a database of some sort.

Any Ideas on this?
TonytheBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
grizedale
NEXUS 7
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: NEXUS 7, PW2 & KOBO ONE
Am I missing something as to how a database would work considering once a book has been loaned it cannot be loaned again, ever...Surely the resources would rapidly diminish
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale View Post
Am I missing something as to how a database would work considering once a book has been loaned it cannot be loaned again, ever...Surely the resources would rapidly diminish
That's only true for a given copy of a book. If 50 people each buy a copy of the same book, then each of those 50 people can lend it out, once each.

I think the original poster is simply seeking a way to find out which books are lendable so that he can (I'm guessing) choose to buy books which are lendable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
TonytheBookworm
Addict
TonytheBookworm is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 2, kindle 3, Kindle fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

I think the original poster is simply seeking a way to find out which books are lendable so that he can (I'm guessing) choose to buy books which are lendable.
More so on the fact that there is a site kindlelendingclub.com that you can request books from. I was just wanting to see what is actually available for lend and browse through it and then make request accordingly.
TonytheBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That makes sense!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
A quick and dirty Google query would be something like this:

Quote:
+site:amazon.com +"Lending: Enabled"
Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything equivalent you can do to search on Amazon itself.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmos

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonytheBookworm View Post
More so on the fact that there is a site kindlelendingclub.com that you can request books from. I was just wanting to see what is actually available for lend and browse through it and then make request accordingly.
Great site!

Maybe you can give them feedback on adding this feature?
I know they show a short view of recently loaned or added
but it definitely doesn't seem like the whole list.

Like you, I like to browse.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
grizedale
NEXUS 7
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: NEXUS 7, PW2 & KOBO ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's only true for a given copy of a book. If 50 people each buy a copy of the same book, then each of those 50 people can lend it out, once each.
I understand that part, but what is the impetus to lend it to a stranger rather than a friend knowing it can never be loaned again...
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale View Post
I understand that part, but what is the impetus to lend it to a stranger rather than a friend knowing it can never be loaned again...
You might not have a friend who wants to read it, and one of the other strangers on the book-lending site may well have a book that you'd like to read.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmosAbFabGab has become one with the cosmos

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonytheBookworm View Post
FYI

(posted today)

Q: "Great site! How do I find a list of all books that are available to borrow? When I click on "Borrow a Book" it just lets me see a list of "Recent Loans" but not a complete list of available books. Thanks!"

A: "...browsability is one of our most requested features and we will definitely be prioritizing it."
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote