Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #31
sciredz
Enthusiast
sciredz began at the beginning.

Device: none
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkWpOV7CHms

Goodreader on the ipad with demonstration of uploading PDFs

Has anyone tried reading pdf version of magazines like Scientific American.
Do you have to scroll too much around pages to view illustrations that
cover two pages and the text around it?
sciredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Great video. Was that one you made? If so... nice work. I have this puddle of drool on my shirt now... hmm...

I also remembered that you can put PDF files into evernote. Of course, in evernote you can have separate notebooks and you can tag stuff. Also, the PDFs are all OCRed and indexed so you can search within them.

I know on my Mac I can view the PDFs right in Evernote. Mostly the PDFs I have in evernote or Manuals to stuff we have like appliances and such. Also, and Euro board games I buy you can usually get a PDF of the instruction manual. It would be nice to have the iPAd with evernote while we were playing if there were any rules questions.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #33
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

something i new i just found, in itunes (at least on the mac, i haven't tested on windows yet) under the Apps tab (with your iPad connected) there's a "File Sharing" option. GoodReader is listed there along with a documents pane to the right. you can drag and drop pdf's (or folders of pdf's) right into that window and they get synced right up immediately. very handy.

of course the wifi html page and network mount works as well.

this should come standard on every ipad..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
something i new i just found, in itunes (at least on the mac, i haven't tested on windows yet) under the Apps tab (with your iPad connected) there's a "File Sharing" option. GoodReader is listed there along with a documents pane to the right. you can drag and drop pdf's (or folders of pdf's) right into that window and they get synced right up immediately. very handy.
Yes, that was mentioned in another thread. That is the common data sharing location.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #35
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yep, took my girlfriend and I a bit, but we figured out that drag and drop option in iTunes.

Wish they had that for photo's too, the photo synching is a pain. If you select one folder, sync it, then select another and synch it takes the first set of photos off.

So you end up having to make one folder named something like "iPad photos" and put all the folders you want to synch to the iPad in their, then it will get them all and each folder will show up as an album. That's pretty damn clunky.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 11:44 PM   #36
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I use the sepia on my iPhone for that reason. But on the iPad I find that white is more comfortable because I can lower the brightness.
Just learned you can go to System>General>Accessibility & you can set up the Home button to toggle black/white in any app.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #37
fishfuzz
fishfuzz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estuche View Post
Hi, can anyone please confirm if this software allows for text highlight, bookmarks and notes on PDF docs?!!
If you turn on the text flow, you can copy all text on the page to the clipboard. Hopefully they will add more annotation functionality in the future.
fishfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #38
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Wish they had that for photo's too, the photo synching is a pain. If you select one folder, sync it, then select another and synch it takes the first set of photos off.

So you end up having to make one folder named something like "iPad photos" and put all the folders you want to synch to the iPad in their, then it will get them all and each folder will show up as an album. That's pretty damn clunky.[/QUOTE]

why not just tick to sync both fders? If a folder is ticked it syncs if it's unticked next time you sync it will be removed
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #39
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
why not just tick to sync both fders? If a folder is ticked it syncs if it's unticked next time you sync it will be removed
We couldn't figure that out the brief time we tried. Seemed like you could only select one folder in the "browse" option to find your folders of pictures on the computer.

In any case, the synching system is a pain, hopefully the photo app will get drag and drop like is in place for some apps like Goodreader as that's a much more intuitive way to transfer content IMO.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #40
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post

of course the wifi html page and network mount works as well.

this should come standard on every ipad..
Apparently you can also use Dropbox, & point Goodreader to it for wifi reading. I don't know if it downloads to the iPad or not.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #41
fordan
fordan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Apparently you can also use Dropbox, & point Goodreader to it for wifi reading. I don't know if it downloads to the iPad or not.
Assuming it works like the iPhone version of Goodreader which I strongly suspect it does, it downloads the doc to the phone, and once downloaded, you tell Goodreader to view it. Not exactly a seamless process, but also not one dependent on constant Internet access.
fordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #42
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I bought the Goodreader app. You can easily access your dropbox folders and it downloads to your iPad for offline reading. The only downside is that there is no ability to annotate.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #43
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Quote:
yeah.. it's too bad i'm a sugarsync kinda guy. cheaper than dropbox. oh well.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Can Goodreader remove the margins?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #45
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can Goodreader remove the margins?
Not formally in terms of cropping and saving a file without them

But you can zoom in and get rid of them, especially in landscape mode where you have more horizontal space to work with. Zoom in, hit the icon so you only scroll vertically and not horizontally and you can read larger text with no big margins on the sides. If you leave horizontal scroll on you end up getting off center when trying to scroll down.