Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #46
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Only PDF I'm afraid The quantum is referring to quantum mechanics. i.e. a computer driven by the laws of quantum rather than classical physics. Turns out to be significantly more powerful. For example, using a classical computer to search through a collection of N unsorted entries,will take, on average N/2 queries, whereas with a quantum computer it can be done in the square root of N. For very large N this can be a huge speedup.
Coincidentally, I read this on the BBC web site earlier this week.

I am certain that I don't really understand this area, but it is definately interesting.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #47
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
There's a story in there somewhere...
There have been quite a few SF books that try to use quantum computers, not very successfully though
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #48
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsballs View Post
yes karma to Kovidgoyal i use calibre the only worry i have is his avatar it scares me
Funny -- I keep noticing how cute he is!! (but he's got a GF already )

Quote:
There have been quite a few SF books that try to use quantum computers, not very successfully though
So a quantum computer is only theory, or perhaps laboratory, so far?

Any relation to the ferro-electric materials mentioned in this article? (Art, in second paragraph, is my brother!)

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 09-08-2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: forgot the link!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #49
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Look........only 218 karma points until Kovid breaks 30,000.......

C'mon people, give him a hand over!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #50
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Only PDF I'm afraid The quantum is referring to quantum mechanics. i.e. a computer driven by the laws of quantum rather than classical physics. Turns out to be significantly more powerful. For example, using a classical computer to search through a collection of N unsorted entries,will take, on average N/2 queries, whereas with a quantum computer it can be done in the square root of N. For very large N this can be a huge speedup.
I get the general idea (I was a physics major for 2 years with an interest in quantum mechanics), but I still haven't worked out how using quantum effects is faster. Is it faster for all sorts of calculations, or for specific tasks such as factoring (as mentioned in the BBC article above)? I know you mentioned search, which is so common that by itself it would be a help, even if regular silicon ICs were faster for other stuff. But I suspect there are broader applications. The only thing that seems analogous to me so far is that if the photons can be in multiple places at once, maybe you can do parallel processing that way?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #51
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
I don't know about you, but I've given him karma. That's spelled m-o-n-e-y.

You can, too!
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #52
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I don't know about you, but I've given him karma. That's spelled m-o-n-e-y.

You can, too!

Yep, I'm about to do that myself.

As far as I can tell calibre is the best out there.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #53
Wetdogeared
Grand Sorcerer
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Look........only 218 karma points until Kovid breaks 30,000.......

C'mon people, give him a hand over!
Done!
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #54
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Done!
Karma to you for doing it!

I hope Kovid, you continue to get Karma, both numerically and financially, you deserve.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:51 AM   #55
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Funny -- I keep noticing how cute he is!! (but he's got a GF already )
Actually, a wife, but thanks

Quote:
So a quantum computer is only theory, or perhaps laboratory, so far?

Any relation to the ferro-electric materials mentioned in this article? (Art, in second paragraph, is my brother!)
There have been a few lab demos of quantum computers, but nothing of practical interest so far. My thesis actually presents a proposal for a design of a quantum computer that would actually be practical (i.e. be able to handle real world amounts of data). But a real working QC is still several years off.

And no, it's no relation to the article you quoted
Old 09-09-2009, 12:54 AM   #56
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I get the general idea (I was a physics major for 2 years with an interest in quantum mechanics), but I still haven't worked out how using quantum effects is faster. Is it faster for all sorts of calculations, or for specific tasks such as factoring (as mentioned in the BBC article above)? I know you mentioned search, which is so common that by itself it would be a help, even if regular silicon ICs were faster for other stuff. But I suspect there are broader applications. The only thing that seems analogous to me so far is that if the photons can be in multiple places at once, maybe you can do parallel processing that way?
Actually no one knows quote what makes quantum computers faster. Superposition (the mathematical name for a photon being in multiple places) definitely plays a role, as does entanglement (which allows for stronger correlations between systems than is possible in classical physics). In fact what makes quantum computers faster and just how much faster is very much an open question.

So far people have only found a handful of algorithms, factoring and search being the two most useful examples where quantum computers show a definite speedup over their classical cousins. In fact, in the case of catoring the speedup is actually exponential!
Old 09-09-2009, 05:00 AM   #57
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
[...] in the case of factoring the speedup is actually exponential [...]
... which will render all current public key encryption systems useless.

(As the public key is the product of two very large prime numbers. If you can factor the public key back into the two original prime numbers, you have obtained the private key, and the encryption is no longer useful.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #58
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
... which will render all current public key encryption systems useless.

(As the public key is the product of two very large prime numbers. If you can factor the public key back into the two original prime numbers, you have obtained the private key, and the encryption is no longer useful.)
Yeah, it will
Old 09-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #59
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Yeah, it will
Ah I see, your an anarchist.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #60
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Ah I see, your an anarchist.
Actually quantum communication (specifically using entangled states) provides far more secure forms of authentication that large prime numbers. Hence the "communication" in my thesis title.