Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Thanks DG for starting this thread, brought a smile to my face

And thanks everyone for the Karma and kind words, it's having sucha great and appreciative user community that makes all the time I spend on calibre worthwhile.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #17
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
i see the phd after the title of creator of calibre, what was the title of your paper?
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 11:53 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Using graph states for quantum computation and communication
Old 09-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #19
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Uncle Duke said:
Quote:
i see the phd after the title of creator of calibre, what was the title of your paper?
Kovid replied:
Quote:
Using graph states for quantum computation and communication -- and also --
"Get Calibre"
I think I'd rather 'Get Calibre' than read that thesis! It's been way too many years since I did any calculus, let alone anything advanced. But I'll buy your quantum cell phone...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:47 AM   #20
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Yesterday my eye just happened to fall on one of Kovid's post.....and I noticed his Karma.
It took you quite a while to realise it, didn't it?
Long time ago I pointed out that on this forum karma is being traded between a few chosen flooders when people like Kovidgoyal or igorsk are being ignored. When they hoarded more than anyone else, karma giving system was changed so obtaining karma is a lot slower process and those who didn't buy enough karma before the change, they have no chance to catch up with karma whores ever.
Nothing new under the sun
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 04:43 AM   #21
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
yes karma to Kovidgoyal i use calibre the only worry i have is his avatar it scares me
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #22
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thanks, all

No !

THANKS to YOU .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #23
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsballs View Post
yes karma to Kovidgoyal i use calibre the only worry i have is his avatar it scares me

.... must be the beard ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #24
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
.... must be the beard ....
Or the reflection in the glasses
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsballs View Post
Old 09-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #26
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
It took you quite a while to realise it, didn't it?
Long time ago I pointed out that on this forum karma is being traded between a few chosen flooders when people like Kovidgoyal or igorsk are being ignored. When they hoarded more than anyone else, karma giving system was changed so obtaining karma is a lot slower process and those who didn't buy enough karma before the change, they have no chance to catch up with karma whores ever.
Nothing new under the sun
Well, I don't think Kovid or Igorsk or anyone else is being "ignored".

I simply think its human nature to become so comfortable with a system, you forget where it came from.

Many of us (most?) use Calibre, and its become second nature. Like something that always been there. Kovid is such a part of this board, and so low key, its easy to take him (and others) for granted. Thats what I was trying to point out.

And sometimes, we need to be gently 'reminded' to say thanks....Even tho you've already said it once, it doesn't hurt to say it again.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #27
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thanks DG for starting this thread, brought a smile to my face

And thanks everyone for the Karma and kind words, it's having sucha great and appreciative user community that makes all the time I spend on calibre worthwhile.
Dr. Goyal,
You are certainly worthy of repeated karma from every member of this forum that has used Calibre. I can't imagine the countless hours you have invested in creating and updating this tool that provides tremendous capability for managing ebooks. Thank you.

I'm sure you wish kamra could be cashed in like airline miles, maybe at Fry's or FictionWise. Since it isn't, I let this thread be my reminder to press "the little yellow karma" button" on the Calibre website. My donation isn't much, but I'm sure if all onboard here that use Calibre regularly would also contribute a small amount, it would add up to something. Thank you for all you do for us, and for me personally because I'm now a devoted fan of your Calibre tool.

Last edited by pking36330; 09-05-2009 at 10:55 AM.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #28
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
Dr. Goyal,
You are certainly worthy of repeated karma from every member of this forum that has used Calibre. I can't imagine the countless hours you have invested in creating and updating this tool that provides tremendous capability for managing ebooks. Thank you.

I'm sure you wish kamra could be cashed in like airline miles, maybe at Fry's or FictionWise. Since it isn't, I let this thread be my reminder to press "the little yellow karma" button" on the Calibre website. My donation isn't much, but I'm sure if all onboard here that use Calibre regularly would also contribute a small amount, it would add up to something. Thank you for all you do for us, and for me personally because I'm now a devoted fan of your Calibre tool.
Excellent thought, pking...... In todays economy, no one can afford a lot, and many think that a few bucks isn't worth the effort.....but they do add up.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #29
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Sure, donations are always welcome, they allow me to devote more of my time to developing calibre as opposed to doing things that earn money
Old 09-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #30
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Not sure what karma is or how it works but Kovid can certain have mine! I am embarrassed to tell that I just recently got around to actually working with Calibre (having downloaded it since the first version) and I have to say I was jaw-dropping amazed...literally. The last time I recall being so impressed was how many years ago (30? 40?) when my boss drug a mag card II into the office along with an IBM person to teach me how to use it!

I'm also green-eyed w/envy of such incredible talent/expertise/knowledge in a field so arcane to me.

Thx for the reminder to put some bucks in the development kitty. In fact, I am going to do it right now so I don't forget.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote