Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 09-28-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
mol39
mol39 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
change colour of all letters

A book I'm reading has set all the letters throughout the book in the colour red, which make it annoying to read in my kindle, as the contrast is bad.
How do I change all the red letters to black letters ?
The format is Mobi.
If the answer is that I have to use the Calibre Editor, I have to confess that I am a complete novice regarding the editor

Thanks from
Morten Levy, Denmark
mol39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mol39 View Post
A book I'm reading has set all the letters throughout the book in the colour red, which make it annoying to read in my kindle, as the contrast is bad.
How do I change all the red letters to black letters ?
The format is Mobi.
If the answer is that I have to use the Calibre Editor, I have to confess that I am a complete novice regarding the editor

Thanks from
Morten Levy, Denmark
If the eBook has DRM, you have to remove the DRM.

Convert the to KF8 (AZW3) in Calibre and then in the Editor, edit the CSS to remove the color command(s) and save. Put it on your Kindle and you'll be all set.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
mol39
mol39 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the eBook has DRM, you have to remove the DRM.

Convert the to KF8 (AZW3) in Calibre and then in the Editor, edit the CSS to remove the color command(s) and save. Put it on your Kindle and you'll be all set.
Dear JSWolf
I'm very greatful that you will help me. As I said, I'm a novice with the editor, so I have much to learn. (And perhaps I should mention that I am 80 years old, so I can be a little slow)
When I open the editor with the book I see 14 files with the .html extension. Do I have to treat all 14 files individually ?
My next problem is that when I open one of those files I cannot localise any color commands. (If you choose to see me as a hopeless case, I'll understand it):
Morten
mol39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #4
retiredbiker
Zealot
retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Ubuntu, Jutoh,Kobo Forma
You could also convert to azw3, and in the look and feel dialogue on the conversion page, on the Styling tab, down at the bottom, a switch for removing all color during the conversion.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:08 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
You could also convert to azw3, and in the look and feel dialogue on the conversion page, on the Styling tab, down at the bottom, a switch for removing all color during the conversion.
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

If you do it in Preferences->Conversion->Common options->Look & Feel->Styling then you'll only have to do it once, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-09-29 075929.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	173784

If needed you can override that (i.e. turn it off) for specific books when you do the convert.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #6
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the enddeback knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Laptop
Open the editor, then double click on the stylesheet.css file (at the left, down below the html files). Look for the line that starts with "color." Look for "red" or something like "FF0000." When you find the code that is for the color red, delete that line and save the file.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #7
retiredbiker
Zealot
retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.retiredbiker is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Ubuntu, Jutoh,Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
Open the editor, then double click on the stylesheet.css file (at the left, down below the html files). Look for the line that starts with "color." Look for "red" or something like "FF0000." When you find the code that is for the color red, delete that line and save the file.
I've a saved search...look for color:.*?; and replace all in the style files. Regex on, of course. (Or find and replace, if you want to keep some but not others.)
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote