Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #28576
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I have just finished reading Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield, which was a nomination for New Leaf Book Club's November book. It didn't win, but as I had intended to read it some time, now seemed as good a time as any.

I enjoyed it very much, so thanks for the nomination, gmw!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:46 AM   #28577
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianca View Post
These are both on my list!
I've now finished Every Day is for the Thief. Didn't like it unfortunately. Not much more than a travel memoir. He improved a great deal with Open City, which I really liked.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2019, 06:47 AM   #28578
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've finished The Testaments and it's an unbelievably bad book. At best, it's indifferent YA dystopia fiction. If this was the best Atwood could do, she should have continued to say no to the demands for a sequel. As it is, she's undermined her own great creation of the world of Gilead. If I could unread it, I would.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #28579
RobertLCollins
Groupie
RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Yesterday I finished “Imprudence” by Gail Carriger, the second Custard Protocol book. Another fun read! A little more action and romance this time, and more about the world.
RobertLCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:26 AM   #28580
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Sanditon (unfinished) by Jane Austen. I want to see how much of the TV series was Jane Austen, and how much was added material.
And it turns out that the original material just sets up the scene and the characters. All the plots in the TV series are inventions of the screen writers, and some of the relationships between the characters.

Next I read an old freebie, Cybill Disobedience, a ghost-written autobiography which was competent and readable.

I'm not sure what I'll read next from my large TBR pile.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2019, 07:29 AM   #28581
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
I just finished reading THE LAST WISH by ANDRZEJ SAPKOWSKI, and was very impressed.

I talk a bit about it here.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:44 AM   #28582
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
=pdurrant;3907423I'm not sure what I'll read next from my large TBR pile.
I read Sharpe's Christmas, which was excellent, as usual.

next up: ?

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 10-24-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:03 AM   #28583
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've got two Sharpe novels to go. Unfortunately, the Sharpe shorts aren't sold here as ebooks; of course the completionist in me would like to read them although my rationalist side knows they don't matter.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #28584
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've finished The Testaments and it's an unbelievably bad book. At best, it's indifferent YA dystopia fiction. If this was the best Atwood could do, she should have continued to say no to the demands for a sequel. As it is, she's undermined her own great creation of the world of Gilead. If I could unread it, I would.
Oh dear! I’m surprised it shared the Booker win, but maybe the judges believed all the hype.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:42 PM   #28585
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Oh dear! I’m surprised it shared the Booker win, but maybe the judges believed all the hype.
Yes, think it was a "the emperor has no clothes" situation.

Last edited by issybird; 10-24-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:12 AM   #28586
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Since my last update I've finished:
  • A Gentleman of Moscow by Amor Toles, which I rather enjoyed
  • In the Company of Sherlock Holmes: Stories Inspired by the Holmes Canon edited by Laurie King which was meh
  • Crucial Instances, a book of short stories by Edith Wharton, whom I adore
  • The Descent of Monsters by JY Yang, which is the third in their Tensorate novella series. I continue to enjoy the world they have built and the characters.

I am currently listening to
  • Framley Parsonage by Anthony Trollope

And I am reading on my KA1
  • Tell it to the Bees by Fiona Shaw

(My wife surprised me by ordering me a new Kobo Libra H20 - i thought it would be a Christmas present. I have not decided what my first read on that device will be)
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #28587
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:

next up: ?
I'm continuing a re-read of Harry Potter: Next up: The Goblet of Fire.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #28588
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I recently finished The Nugget by P.T. Deutermann. This is another of his non related WWII Series. A couple of mistakes, but otherwise an excellent read.
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/d/p...ann/nugget.htm
I next read Miracle at Belleau Wood: The Birth of the Modern U.S. Marine Corps by Alan Axelrod. It tells the story of how this battle not only saved the Marines from being disbanded, but how it cemented their reputation with the general public. A good read.
https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Belle.../dp/B001FSJCNW
I just picked up Thomas Fleming's Time and Tide: A Novel of World War II. He writes both Non Fiction and Fiction. This is historical fiction set during WWII. So far his characters just jump off the page at you. I am really enjoying this one. If it continues to be this good I am going to pick up some of his other books.
https://www.amazon.com/Time-Tide-Tho...al-text&sr=1-3
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:56 PM   #28589
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Finally finished The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher. Entertaining especially the various unique characters. Lots of varied action scenes. I did think a few scenes were very unrealistic but that's fantasy. I still prefer the Codex Alera series, though. Rated B- [4 stars].
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #28590
RobertLCollins
Groupie
RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Yesterday I finished The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl by Theodora Goss, the third book in her Athena Club trilogy. I really enjoyed the book! The characters were as interesting as they had been. The plot moved along quite quickly. There were even some new references to Victorian fiction. It was such a fun read.
RobertLCollins is offline   Reply With Quote