Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
mol39
mol39 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I cannot see the collections. Why ?

In Calibre, when I click on 'device' , I can see all the titles currently on my Kindle. The columns are: Title, Author, Date, Size, Collections.
But I see no collections !
I have created several collections on the device, and it would be a great help if they were visible to Calibre, but they are not.
Why has Calibre made such a column if it doesn't work ?
I have tried it with my old button-kindle and with my Paperwhite with the same sorry result.

Cheers
Morten Levy, Denmark
mol39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mol39 View Post
In Calibre, when I click on 'device' , I can see all the titles currently on my Kindle. The columns are: Title, Author, Date, Size, Collections.
But I see no collections !
I have created several collections on the device, and it would be a great help if they were visible to Calibre, but they are not.
Why has Calibre made such a column if it doesn't work ?
I have tried it with my old button-kindle and with my Paperwhite with the same sorry result.

Cheers
Morten Levy, Denmark
It is a mostly a left over from its original usage.
Kobo Utilities make still makes use of this, but many other devices do not allow the (Devices) collection data to be accessed.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
As @theducks said, collection information isn't available to Calibre on current (and even not so current) eInk Kindles. That's how the eInk Kindles work, nothing Calibre can do about it on its own.

The Kindle Collections plugin attempts to deal with that, but it *requires* a jailbroken device, and a more complex workflow with other on-device tools to make the Collections visible to the plugin (not the Device view, though, you can pretty much forget about that on a Kindle).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-21-2019 at 04:11 PM.
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
@mol39, Way back when when the Kindle first came out, the firmware was a lot more open and Calibre could manage collections on the Kindle. But because too many people were mucking about and doing stupid stuff and then calling Amazon for help, Amazon made the firmware less open. The current firmware is so closed that it cannot be jailbroken.

If you want Calibre to manage collections, you'll need to get a different brand Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote