Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2019, 02:01 AM   #496
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
@ratinox
Are you going to stay with the Aura One or go with something else?
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #497
ratinox
Addict
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
@ratinox
Are you going to stay with the Aura One or go with something else?
That's something I'm still considering. If I can get a 32GB Forma from a vendor that handles returns instead of directing me to Kobo then I'll probably get another Forma there. Walmart don't carry the 32GB model so retail purchase isn't an option for me.

I like the idea of the 10" readers like Boox and Likebook, but since their businesses are selling new hardware they don't have much interest in backporting software updates to their older hardware. I was stung hard this way by iRex back in the day and I'm still wary of hardware without any other revenue for the manufacturer.

Edit: I've tentatively decided to get the 8GB model from Walmart, exchanging the capacity downgrade for having a convenient B&M retailer should another exchange be necessary. Will see once Kobo finish processing my returns and refund.

Last edited by ratinox; 09-17-2019 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Update
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:22 PM   #498
ratinox
Addict
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Mini 5
Kobo did finally finish processing my return. 36 days from RMA authorization to PayPal confirming refund was issued.

I did get the 8GB unit from Walmart (it's been working fine, thank you), and while I usually don't go for extended warranties because they're mostly scams I did this time because thirty-five bucks is worth not having to deal with Kobo "Customer Care" directly should warranty service become necesssary.

And then I bought a 64GB iPad Mini for graphical content.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:54 AM   #499
celticchrys
celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2014 (1st edition)
Accidental Post. Please disregard.

Last edited by celticchrys; 09-30-2019 at 12:04 PM.
celticchrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:22 AM   #500
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
This really is the best reading experience you can buy isn't it? I've at least doubled my intake since I got mine, massive screen so you're not turning the page every few seconds like on most readers, so sharp and crisp, I love showing it to people.

I thought the accelerometer was just going to be a gimmick I'd turn off straight out of the box and I wasn't too bothered about the buttons either but they are both essential features for me from now on, swapping from left to right hand, switching sides in bed etc, I'll literally never buy another reader thats not a Forma or Forma form factor from now on, or anything with a smaller screen, going back to a Glo HD or equivalent now would be torture.

The battery life is insane aswell, a months reading easily for a heavy enough user like me, 3-4 books and I'm only at 30-35%
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:42 AM   #501
browncoat
browncoat began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD, Kobo Forma
I want to buy a Kobo Forma, but the prices here in Germany are currently going way up!?

It used to hover around 270 Euros, then it was 280, now it's 290… Kobo is still making new Formas, right?

In neighboring countries where they have official distributors, they seem to have a fixed price of 280 Euros… maybe I should just have a friend in the Netherlands buy one for me…
browncoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #502
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
This really is the best reading experience you can buy isn't it?
That's very subjective, of course. For me a 8" screen would be a bit too big, I'm more comfortable with 7". I have ereaders from three different companies and I would not call any one of them "the best you can buy". Each has their good and not so good sides. Each has something the others don't.

But for you the Forma is perfect, and that's what counts, of course.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #503
mathil
Addict
mathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role model

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra H2O, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post
I want to buy a Kobo Forma, but the prices here in Germany are currently going way up!?

It used to hover around 270 Euros, then it was 280, now it's 290… Kobo is still making new Formas, right?

In neighboring countries where they have official distributors, they seem to have a fixed price of 280 Euros… maybe I should just have a friend in the Netherlands buy one for me…
It's always been 279 euros here in Italy, still is now (for the 8GB model of course), but it is true that they have an official partnership with two bookstore chains.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:55 PM   #504
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Yep, 279.99 over here too. There's a tiny bit of a sale going on where you can nab it for 266€ right now, though, provided you've got the store's card (which is... roughly a membership card, for historical reasons, not a simple store card).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #505
browncoat
browncoat began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD, Kobo Forma
A few weeks ago it was 259 over here. And now it's 30 Euros more than that :|
browncoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #506
FrustratedReader
Ancient Sceptic
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
IF it has a Slot for SDCard its Not Water Proof.
It's totally possible to have USB holes, SD card slots, Reset hole, headphone sockets etc and even be 50m waterpoof. Though I think the original Aura H2O design is too cheap for reliable and long lived waterproofing:
1) Bezel would need to screw down (even from rear) with neoprene gasket not sticky tape as used on H2O
2) Cover for USB / Reset / SD card is pathetic and wears out. Too cheap a solution. Any competent mechanical engineer can design better.

Problem is the eink screen is so expensive that everything else is crazy cost reduced.
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #507
FrustratedReader
Ancient Sceptic
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Lol....what's wrong with Laptops today and smartphones?? They are more ergonomic and functional than ever before......
Absolutely NOT true. Apple influence has made them cosmetically pretty to look at.
Phones:
Removing most of the buttons, putting touch too close to edge so you can't easily hold it, needing a bumper / cover, removing earphone jack, no user changeable battery if needed on a trip.

Laptops:
Putting vents on bottom, rubbish keyboards with too little travel, no ability to tilt key area, too sensitive touch pads that can't be disabled on some models, switch from 1600 x 1200 or 1920 x 1200 purely to use video orientated panels, almost no models with matt screens that became common 15 years ago, shiny gives headaches, but looks pretty and is cheaper.
Abandoning PCMCIA slot for smaller slot with builtin USB, so to save money many cards used USB instead of PCIe thus slower than old PCMCIA.
Sealed in and glued in batteries, soldered in RAM.
Removal of keyboard status LEDs
Making speakers worse because it's too thin.
Convertible tablets needing steel plate in keyboard so they don't fall over.

The ONLY ergonomic lack on ereaders is better library/collection/category software and page buttons.

Sound isn't important and Bluetooth isn't important. They are for reading books.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #508
perisiana
Enthusiast
perisiana began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Forma cost € 220 in Italy last week on Amazon and Mediaworld, now it's back to the usual price, 270 on Amazon and 280 for other shops.
It will be my Christmas present, I hope they will lower it again during Black Friday.
perisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #509
FrustratedReader
Ancient Sceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo

Sony exited the ereader market. They make niche e-ink tablets that you can use to read.

But good to know about the plastic substrate on them I guess.
PDFs. I think most of them won't display real ebook formats at all. Strange that Sony felt they had to have a successful bookstore to keep selling ereaders. They made them before Amazon bought mobi and did the first kindle, also many old models are still good today.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #510
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post

Laptops:
Putting vents on bottom, rubbish keyboards with too little travel, no ability to tilt key area, too sensitive touch pads that can't be disabled on some models, switch from 1600 x 1200 or 1920 x 1200 purely to use video orientated panels, almost no models with matt screens that became common 15 years ago, shiny gives headaches, but looks pretty and is cheaper.
What you see as negatives are in fact positives for other people. I love modern laptop keyboards with almost no travel. Touchpad sensitivity is just right, imho. And I absolutely need my laptop screen to be high resolution and glossy, for working with photos and videos (the colors on matte screens are generally crap). Plus my latest laptop has no vents on the bottom, they are on the hinge instead.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote