Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #136
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Yes, that makes sense. Maybe Jon would rather read fb2 ebooks ? If you convert them to epub, you get the most consistent and boring look I've ever seen (but the best compatibility).
Kobo readers have options to change some things. I want those things to be so the options work. That means no margins (also good for Kindles), no line height, no embedded fonts (unless there's a really good reason), and to leave the base font size at the default. We can change all of that to what we want. IT's not that I'm looking for a boring book. I'm looking for book's that can be customized as the user wants. You want larger L/R margins or a wider line height, you can have it. But when say L/R margins and a line height are put in, the only choices are to go bigger or leave it be. If they are not what we wat, then we have no choice.

I know we can go into the code and adjust, but we shouldn't have to. We should be able to use the settings as suits us. I'm not asking for a boringly formatted eBook. I'm asking for formatting that allows us to use the settings as we see fit.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:05 PM   #137
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Hmmm. So is the day coming when side-loaded books will have to be kepub to play nicely with Kobos? I have a lot of old epubs. A LOT. Sure don't want to have to convert them all!
I hope not. I prefer ePub overall because the typesetting for ePub is better looking. kepub is not as flexible in that regard.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:13 PM   #138
compurandom
Addict
compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.compurandom can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo aura h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
In general, what is the most likely way to edit / repair an epub that has this problem.
I've repaired a few by rebuiding the TOC using the calibre TOC editor either in the main interface or in the epub editor.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:44 PM   #139
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kobo: Aura6", H2O, GloHD, KA1, ClaraHD, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
[*]Could you rewrite "Custom font to collection and author titles" and specially "Increase the view details container size".
Regarding oren64's "Increase the view details container size" ... I've been using my own custom version for a while to change the top/bottom split proportions of the Book Details page. It should work for fw 4.16.

If oren64 is no longer maintaining his patch and you're prepared to beta test on behalf of the rest of the kobopatch community, perhaps mine could be used as a suitable replacement in the standard pack.

Increase Book Details synopsis area patch for nickel.yaml
Spoiler:
Code:
Increase Book Details synopsis area:
  - Enabled: no
  - Description: |
      Book details page: 
        Increase height of bottom half (Synopsis) by 
        decreasing height of top half (Cover, Title, Author, Series)
      See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3311354&postcount=134
      fw 4.12/4.16: updated by jackie_w
  - FindZlib: "#bookInfoWidget"
  - ReplaceZlibGroup:
      Replacements:
            #   Portrait mode:  #bookInfoWidget[isLandscape=false]: 
        - {Find: "height: 300px;", Replace: "height: 200px;"} #Touch/Mini
        - {Find: "height: 390px;", Replace: "height: 230px;"} #Glo/Aura/Aura2
        - {Find: "height: 550px;", Replace: "height: 370px;"} #AuraHD/H2O/H2O2/GloHD/ClaraHD
        - {Find: "height: 642px;", Replace: "height: 425px;"} #LibraH2O (*untested)
        - {Find: "height: 715px;", Replace: "height: 500px;"} #AuraOne/Forma
            #   Landscape mode:  #bookInfoWidget[isLandscape=true]: 
        - {Find: "height: 210px;", Replace: "height: 200px;"} #Touch/Mini
        - {Find: "height: 265px;", Replace: "height: 230px;"} #Glo/Aura/Aura2
        - {Find: "height: 420px;", Replace: "height: 370px;"} #AuraHD/H2O/H2O2/GloHD/ClaraHD
        - {Find: "height: 490px;", Replace: "height: 425px;"} #LibraH2O (*untested)
        - {Find: "height: 540px;", Replace: "height: 500px;"} #AuraOne/Forma

Last edited by jackie_w; 09-16-2019 at 11:22 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:42 PM   #140
Uncle Robin
Zealot
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2
I had finally decided to take the plunge and install 4.16.13337 on my H2O2 when I checked and saw that there's no kobopatch update for it yet. A close call!
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:33 AM   #141
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
It's the previous versions.
Good, I was afraid I missed something.
Quote:
You wouldn't want to merge them?
Generally, yes. But, there was something in the style of the book and these pages that made it sensible to keep them separate. It probably would have been sensible to merge them and put a style on the appropriate paragraph to force the page break. I'm not sure why I didn't at the time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:05 AM   #142
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura Edition 2, Moto G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Generally, yes. But, there was something in the style of the book and these pages that made it sensible to keep them separate. It probably would have been sensible to merge them and put a style on the appropriate paragraph to force the page break. I'm not sure why I didn't at the time.
That makes more sense, and is how I usually do it.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:21 AM   #143
rashkae
Guru
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Good, I was afraid I missed something.

Page breaks in style don't work as consistently as you would expect by now.. there's a reason most publishers opt to use file breaks instead.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:00 AM   #144
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Page breaks in style don't work as consistently as you would expect by now.. there's a reason most publishers opt to use file breaks instead.
That's probably it. I'm pretty sure that older RMSDK didn't support them. I don't know about the current version or the kepub renderer.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:12 AM   #145
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Regarding oren64's "Increase the view details container size" ... I've been using my own custom version for a while to change the top/bottom split proportions of the Book Details page. It should work for fw 4.16.

If oren64 is no longer maintaining his patch and you're prepared to beta test on behalf of the rest of the kobopatch community, perhaps mine could be used as a suitable replacement in the standard pack.

Spoiler:
Code:
      Book details page: 
      fw 4.12: updated by jackie_w
  - ReplaceZlibGroup:
      Replacements:
        - {Find: "height: 550px;", Replace: "height: 370px;"} #AuraHD/H2O/H2O2/GloHD/ClaraHD
        - {Find: "height: 420px;", Replace: "height: 370px;"} #AuraHD/H2O/H2O2/GloHD/ClaraHD
Thank you, I'll test it tonight when I go home.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #146
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post

Spoiler:
Code:
      Book details page: 
      fw 4.12: updated by jackie_w
  - ReplaceZlibGroup:
      Replacements:
At a first sight, it's ok (I've tested it now). No problem and view details has a nicer aspect now. Thank you!
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #147
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
At a first sight, it's ok (I've tested it now). No problem and view details has a nicer aspect now. Thank you!
That's good

I'll talk to geek1011 about moving it into the standard pack in time for fw 4.17+
Old 09-16-2019, 11:33 AM   #148
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That's probably it. I'm pretty sure that older RMSDK didn't support them. I don't know about the current version or the kepub renderer.
The following CSS works OK for standard epubs but doesn't currently do anything in kepubs. To the best of my knowledge file splitting is necessary in kepubs to enforce a page break.
Code:
page-break-before: always;
page-break-after: always;

Last edited by jackie_w; 09-16-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #149
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One
Where is the link for that Kpub Extended Driver (for calibre, right)?

Apparently, I've been doing it the hard way, and the Kpub takes up an additional space in calibre.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #150
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Where is the link for that Kpub Extended Driver (for calibre, right)?
Open Calibre. Go to Preferences/Get plugins to enhance Calibre. Choose KoboTouchExtended from the list. Click Install.

Once it's installed, you can choose Customize plugin. I don't remember what's there by default and what I chose/changed, but under the File Formats tab, I have kepub and epub checked. Under the Extended tab, I have Enable Extended Kobo Features checked. I believe this is what causes the conversion and believe it is enabled by default.

One other thing, under Collections, covers & uploads, I checked Upload black and white covers.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, kobo, kobofirmware, libra