Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Comments or book info on the PRS 505

Hi,

Not sure if this is a Calibre question or a function of the PRS 505 I am missing or it doesn't have. I use Calibre as my Library and in the metadat I use the comments section to give an overview of what the book is about. Now when this gets transfered to my reader as an lrf file or an epub I don't get any of that information. Is there a way to get the comments section onto the PRS 505? I thought this information might be under the info menu on the reader but that isn't so.

EDIT: Oh while I am here I just wanted to check if I had the latest firmware on my PRS 505, I went into the About screen and on Version it said 1.2.00.18050 is this the latest firmware?

Last edited by AFK_Matrix; 02-02-2010 at 06:44 PM.
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Unfortunately the PRS-505 doesn't support book descriptions or other metadata beside titles, labels (collections), author and date.

Regarding the firmware: Yes, that should be the latest UK-firmware (means the one and only PRS-505 UK-Firmware ever released by Sony).
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK_Matrix View Post
Not sure if this is a Calibre question or a function of the PRS 505 I am missing or it doesn't have. I use Calibre as my Library and in the metadat I use the comments section to give an overview of what the book is about. Now when this gets transfered to my reader as an lrf file or an epub I don't get any of that information. Is there a way to get the comments section onto the PRS 505? I thought this information might be under the info menu on the reader but that isn't so.
I have a 505 and I use Calibre to convert each book as I place it on my reader so the font is the size I want and there are spaces between paragraphs, etc... During this conversion I also select the option to "Insert the book metadata at the start of the book." under the structure detection section.

This option inserts a page immediately after the cover page with the metadata. I attached a sample of what the page looks like. This feature helps me know what book in a series I'm reading and it has the summary I can read to help me recall why I thought the book might an enjoyable read.

Even though the 505 doesn't have a spot for this info I now have access to it in every book in my library.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metadata_page_insert_example.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	44857  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:03 AM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
If many users want such feature, it could be implemented in PRS+ project.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:48 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
If many users want such feature, it could be implemented in PRS+ project.
I'm not looking for this feature. Between putting the info in a book jacket as seen in the above attachment and now being able to create a catalog of all our books I have all the metadata/comments I could ever want.

Others might feel differently.
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Hi Dwanthny,

Yep I saw that is a way to do it, I was just hoping I didn't have to open the book and that it could be an option in the menu. I will do it your way for now, the only thing being is there any easy way to get it on the books I have already converted? Can I do an EPUB to EPUB and LRF to LRF convert in calibre so I can get the metadat into the books?
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK_Matrix View Post
Can I do an EPUB to EPUB and LRF to LRF convert in calibre so I can get the metadat into the books?
I have done epub to epub conversions. If a setting is wrong though the output book overwrites the input. If the epub is your only copy you may want to save it to disk prior to converting it.

My settings rarely change so I just hit convert and don't think twice. If you find a need to convert a book that already has the metadata page make sure to uncheck that setting or you'll end up with two metadata pages.

I've never tried lrf to lrf.

Try creating a catalog by using the dropdown menu next to convert icon. That way you can have a single book with all the comments for each book. It actually makes use of the table of contents section of our book menu. The books are by author, title, or tags.