Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 10-26-2018, 11:47 PM   #1
lori87
Connoisseur
lori87 doesn't litterlori87 doesn't litter

Device: kobo
Question What plugin do you suggest to move ebooks to your koreader?

Just curious which is easiest. I have downloaded books on my computer not from the kobo store and would like to move them without having to plug in my kobo each time.

Any suggestions?
lori87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
For KOReader, you have several choices, for both USB and Wireless book transfers. Assuming that you don't have SSH setup to your device, I would say the easiest to fit into the workflow of purchasing ebooks, removing the DRM, tidying up the metadata, converting to EPUB (as a standard format) then wirelesslly transfer to your KOReader equipped Kobo device would be the following:

1. Acquire the Ebook file from the site of your choice, downloaded to your PC. (If from Amazon/Kindle Store you want to download using the 1.17 version of "Kindle for PC", to avoid their new encoding/formatting.)

2. Add the file to calibre [equipped with the appropriate plug-in] and fix the metadata as you want it. Caliber's Add function opens to the folder from where you last added a book. (For the Kindle example that would be your "My Kindle Content" folder.) The first time you may have to navigate to the folder your book was downloaded to.

3. [Optional for some formats] Convert to EPUB, to have a consistent library on your device and PC.

---Repeat the above for as many books acquired/purchased---

4. Shut down calibre, saving your work and ensuring that the content server has what it needs.

5. Restart calibre and click on the "Connect/share" icon, then "Start content server". The three balls should turn green.

6. Open the KOReader file browser menu and select the "Search" icon. Select the "OPDS catalog" option. Now select the "Local calibre catalog" (You should be offered the option to turn on WiFi, if it is off. After you are connected to your router, reselect the Local calibre catalog.) You should now have a list of sort options for your catalog listing, of your calibre library. ( By "Newest" is the easiest, to find your just added book/s.)

7. You can now download a book from your calibre library, on your PC, to your KOReader equipped device. Selecting a book will give you a message box with the options to set a download directory and select the format to be downloaded, if the book is in more than one format in the library. Selecting the format begins the download.

-----------------------------------

It may look complicated here, but it usually works, with little problems and can become a relatively quick and easy way to do it.

There is also the "Calibre companion" plugin, but that hasn't always worked for me.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2018, 01:46 PM   #3
lori87
Connoisseur
lori87 doesn't litterlori87 doesn't litter

Device: kobo
WOOOHOOO thank you, it worked!

The only slight mistake at first was step#6, I was trying to connect to my router (0.1) instead of the content server that caliber was on (0.28 in my case).
lori87 is offline   Reply With Quote