Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-28-2018, 06:50 PM   #1
kentosbento
kentosbento began at the beginning.

Device: KoboVox
Question What type of file is this?

I recently purchased a kindle version of book off Amazon and downloaded Calibre and the DeDRM plugin in hopes of converting it, but it doesn't seem to recognize the file type.
Clicking "Get Info" shows the name of the file is:

B00KIQGG6S-0-EBOK-7XBKBYB7af.textClipping

Any ideas on how I could go about converting this?

EDIT:
I got this by dragging the book from the kindle application onto the desktop. Any other ways to convert the book into an ePub would be helpful as nothing seems to be working out for me. Don't have a working eReader anymore so the "Download & transfer via USB" shtick doesn't work as it just says "No device is eligible for downloading the selected content".

Last edited by kentosbento; 07-28-2018 at 07:19 PM.
kentosbento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:25 PM   #2
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
https://fileinfo.com/extension/textclipping
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2018, 11:03 PM   #3
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
You got the wrong file. The actual book file will have the extension of either .azw, .azw3 or .kfx. I think on the pc app it will probably be .azw3. I don't really use Kindle for PC but I believe it stores its data under "My Documents" in "My Kindle Content". If the file is azw or azw3 it will convert just with calibre and the properly set up De Drm tools. For kfx files you will need to install the kfx input plugin as well. In either case you should be able to drag and drop the azw or kfx file from Windows Explorer into Calibre.

Last edited by darryl; 07-28-2018 at 11:05 PM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:49 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
You got the wrong file. The actual book file will have the extension of either .azw, .azw3 or .kfx. I think on the pc app it will probably be .azw3. I don't really use Kindle for PC but I believe it stores its data under "My Documents" in "My Kindle Content". If the file is azw or azw3 it will convert just with calibre and the properly set up De Drm tools. For kfx files you will need to install the kfx input plugin as well. In either case you should be able to drag and drop the azw or kfx file from Windows Explorer into Calibre.
and if you haven't unhidden 'known' file extensions: the type is Kindle Content (and is usually the biggest file with the same base filename)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentosbento View Post
EDIT:
I got this by dragging the book from the kindle application onto the desktop. Any other ways to convert the book into an ePub would be helpful as nothing seems to be working out for me. Don't have a working eReader anymore so the "Download & transfer via USB" shtick doesn't work as it just says "No device is eligible for downloading the selected content".
If you browse to your My Kindle Content directory and its subdirectories, calibre will select the correct file without needing to drag it to the desktop. Depending on which version of Kindle for PC you are using, you may want to check the Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 and KFX in calibre sticky at the top of this forum.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-29-2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: fat fingers cause typos...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2018, 05:40 PM   #6
kentosbento
kentosbento began at the beginning.

Device: KoboVox
Ahh, thank you so much for all the replies and helpful links.

I actually was able to grab the azw file and have it on my desktop but, good lord, it was one thing after another trying to convert it. Tried three times which produced zero results because it needed the KFX plugin- downloaded that and installed it, then it went back to needing the DeDRM plugin again which was already installed and enabled. A whole slew of other problems arise with that-- Anyways, I'm just going off on a rant.
kentosbento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:10 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
You may have to redownload the azw file you can drm it with the kfx plugin.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:22 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentosbento View Post
Ahh, thank you so much for all the replies and helpful links.

I actually was able to grab the azw file and have it on my desktop but, good lord, it was one thing after another trying to convert it. Tried three times which produced zero results because it needed the KFX plugin- downloaded that and installed it, then it went back to needing the DeDRM plugin again which was already installed and enabled. A whole slew of other problems arise with that-- Anyways, I'm just going off on a rant.
My preference is to disable downloading KFX files since they are not the greatest format for conversion. The sticky I referenced covers doing this. The only issue I've seen so far was one file that was only available as a KFX.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, calibre, converting, epub, kindle