Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-23-2018, 05:34 PM   #1
heXdot
heXdot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle Keyboard (Wifi)
"and" click modifier in tag-browser

So maybe this already exists in some way and I couldn't find it cause it is hard to google but I would really like to be able to have an "and" click modifier when selecting multiple entries in the tag-browser.

As far as I know you can switch between "+" and "-" (not) and when pressing shift or ctrl + mouse click you can connect multiple entries with a logical "or" which is nice. It would be cool if the same functionality would be implemented with logical "and" with e.g. the alt key as modifier.

Maybe there is another way to do this that I'm missing.
I'm interested if anyone knows and if I'm not alone with this.
heXdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The 'And' "Or" behavior is set at the bottom of the Tag Browser
Use the wrench-screwdriver icon to see the options for the Tag Browser
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2018, 08:38 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The 'And' "Or" behavior is set at the bottom of the Tag Browser
Use the wrench-screwdriver icon to see the options for the Tag Browser
I have trouble considering a single toggle between matching any item and matching all items as being all that useful. It makes a search of the form ((item1 or item2) and item3 and not item4) rather difficult.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:17 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
It makes a search of the form ((item1 or item2) and item3 and not item4) rather difficult.

Be good if the "Advanced Editor" allowed one to build multi-term search expressions. When I need one, I do it by copying individual terms into a text editor and then adding the parentheses, or's, and's, and not's.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:59 AM   #5
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
A RegexMagic for calibre
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

Be good if the "Advanced Editor" allowed one to build multi-term search expressions. When I need one, I do it by copying individual terms into a text editor and then adding the parentheses, or's, and's, and not's.

BR
Hmmmm.... great minds think alike, fools seldom differ?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:16 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Way too much work, at least for me, patches are welcome. Though I have to say, is it really that hard to edit the search expression and replace any ands/ors as needed?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:43 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Way too much work, at least for me, patches are welcome.
As much as I'd like it, I'm not volunteering
Quote:
Though I have to say, is it really that hard to edit the search expression and replace any ands/ors as needed?
That's what I do. Select them in the tag browser until I have all the conditions I want and then change the ands and ors as needed and add parentheses where appropriate.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:30 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No dates or quantities in Tag browser, nor should there be. I do quite a lot of date searching and, with audio/video, value searching on resolution and run times - the Advanced Search is very useful in this scenario. I also find shift/control clicking in the tag browser difficult due to disability.

BR
Old 07-25-2018, 05:18 AM   #10
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Though I have to say, is it really that hard to edit the search expression and replace any ands/ors as needed?
It isn't really a problem for "us" because a lot have somehow a close/fare IT background and we are using calibre since a long time. But there are also a lot of users around who are not familiar with programming.

A flexible "tool" will also not really help if peoples do not understand what they are doing and how to use it (one of the cons for all super duper ultimate tools).

Finding the correct information in the manual is maybe a point to think about. You can find a lot of information for all kind of problems, but it is more or less a lucky accident finding what you are looking for. You fight with search results that are mixed up in different language and the chance to find in search results the requested information on first place is also not the best. To be clear, it is not blaming but maybe there is something what can be optimized a bit. There a some rare cases where a user find within calibre a direct link to the matching chapter in the manual. Maybe more of this direct links pointing to the correct place in the manual is something to help a users a bit more. It is something you can build up easily by demand over the time if needed and w/o huge recoding activities.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:28 AM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Are your sure that reading the chapter is going to give the expected information? If we are talking about building logical expressions with precedence... I don't think a simple entry in the manual is going to help you.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:31 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You are welcome to suggest places where links to the manual can be added. IIRC there is already a link to the search interface in the advanced search dialog.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:08 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
If we are talking about building logical expressions with precedence...
@Terisa de morgan - I didn't imagine the advanced search dialogue would actually set the precedence parentheses or the inter-term operators.

What I had in mind was: a) make the Advanced Search dialogue non-modal, b) add a multi-line edit box and c) add a button "Add Term to List". After creating the list of terms, the user would edit the content of the box to insert the parentheses, ands, ors, and nots. And when they're done they would cut and paste their expression into the search box. But I can appreciate how even that is non-trivial.

:aside: a tab for Numbers (similar to the one for Dates) would be welcome, as would a Between operator for dates and numbers.

BR
Old 07-25-2018, 07:16 AM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
@BetterRed Been there, done that (universal interface): wasted time
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:19 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
@BetterRed Been there, done that (universal interface): wasted time
Damn - was hoping you might volunteer to turn one of my wild dreams into reality

Hope you're well, I have a cold I can't shake off

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-25-2018 at 07:23 AM.