Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 12-09-2018, 03:55 AM   #1
devtech8
Enthusiast
devtech8 began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD, phone, laptop
Post Does one need server?

I have known about Calibre for a very long time and have always wanted to use it more, and now I am.

That said, I was wondering if I have Calibre installed on Linux (Ubuntu 18), do I need `calibre-server` or calibre content manager or whatever? Searching Google to try and find answers and/or suggestions, but not coming up with enough.

Can some elaborate please and provide additional guidance?

Thanks much.
devtech8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:09 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Depends

If you only side load books, then NO. Just don't configure the 'Sharing over the net' section. The other programs (in the package) are mostly used standalone. All they do is us a small bit of file space when not being used.

It is a lot easier to update, if you stick with the standard package and someday, those standalons might bail you out if something glitches.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:19 AM   #3
devtech8
Enthusiast
devtech8 began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD, phone, laptop
What do you mean side load? I intend to store all my books and mags on a ubuntu server and want to be able access via web from local and remote and also be able to manage from command line as well as from Calibre gui from windows machines.
devtech8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:23 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devtech8 View Post
What do you mean side load? I intend to store all my books and mags on a ubuntu server and want to be able access via web from local and remote and also be able to manage from command line as well as from Calibre gui from windows machines.
Side load means load from the Calibre GUI (typically over a USB connection). If you want to be able to load books over the web then you definitely need calibre-server to be running (or one of the third party apps that provide web based access to a cCalibre library). Calibre-Server can be started either from the Calibre GUI or independently to run as a background process.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote