Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-28-2018, 01:44 PM   #16
Derf
Connoisseur
Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD / Mac User
Plastidip Modification for grip

I just posted a video showing the PlastiDip back cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUGfY9xRH9g

send me some Karma if you like this

Last edited by Derf; 07-28-2018 at 11:02 PM. Reason: send me some Karma if you like this
Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:11 PM   #17
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Oh wow, looks a lot better than I had imagined! Thank you!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #18
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo Clara HD

How is the PlastiDip holding up after about a month of being all over the Clara? Is it necessary to spray the front bezel too?

I was waiting for a skin to be made as that would be less permanent... but it's taking too long so I stuck a screen protector on the back. I'm extremely surprised at how much easier it makes the Clara to hold... But of course the screen protector itself doesn't stick to the holes very well. I think I'll go for the more permanent spray-on after all. I found a so-called "SprayDip" which states to be the European version of PlastiDip, and actually says "liquid vinyl" on the can (important as I don't want latex due to allergy). I'll either do a clear or a creative "galaxy" coloured chameleon mixed with black...

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 08-22-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:21 PM   #19
Derf
Connoisseur
Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD / Mac User
The Plastidip has held up fine, and I’ve been pretty rough with it. But I would say that 50% of my luck has to be pre-application prep, 30% is the application, and 20% is the brand of spray rubber.

Tips:
1) clean the surface with alcohol.
2) put the spray can in a pot of very warm water for a few minutes before spraying. It’s helps with atomization of the rubber.
3) the first coat should be a light coating, let it dry before the next coat.
4) subsequent coats should go on heavy.
5) the more costs the thicker the coating and the better. I did 5 costs.

It does pick up more lint/ stuff than smooth plastic. But it all brushes off easily enough. No you don’t have to do the front bezel, I only did the back cover.

-Edit-
I just noticed there is a small piece like a fingernail that was starting to lift up on the rear corner. My OCD got the best of me and I peeled the whole thing off in one piece. It is a perfect facsimile of the textured pattern on the back, including the Ramirez Kobo logo.
The upshot is my spray can should have at least another 20 or so jobs worth in it, considering how small the area is that I’m covering, and for me it’s readily available in several local stores so I can easily enough just spray on another application tonight.
Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #20
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Kobo Clara HD

Thank you very much times a thousand plus karma!!

Hah - I'm happy about your OCD because I like knowing it'll all come off in one pretty piece 😀
Old 09-01-2018, 03:47 PM   #21
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Very happy with the result!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9078.JPG
Views:	560
Size:	820.0 KB
ID:	165984

It feels really nice too. I'm contemplating doing the front bezel too (in plain black) as it is so slippery in contrast...
Old 09-05-2018, 06:57 PM   #22
cband7
cband7 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch glow
Hello

Hi Folks -
Just jumped ship from the Nook forum today; after almost a year thumb wrestling with Barnes & Noble help people who steadfastly refuse to acknowledge or fix well known problems and bugs in the Glowlight 3 I did some research and a Clara HD is on the way. It's a shame as this was my third and final Nook (Original, Simple Touch Glow and Glow 3). Life's too short - when dealing with bugs takes more time than reading, somethings got to give.

I'm interested in anything that speeds up a reader so I'm watching the info here on faster SD cards. Ditto on the 'wake from sleep' method. I used to routinely power off, kiss that good bye. Anyway, I'll be checking all the mods and catching up here, Thanks in advance for the info!
cband7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:55 AM   #23
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Congratulations, good choice! I hope you enjoy your Clara as much (or more) as I do
Old 09-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #24
cband7

The Truth Is Out There

After more than a year of hassle and endless emails Barnes & Noble officially sent an email today confessing that a major bug in the Nook system was always intentional but they wouldn't admit it until now. It was designed so that the 'shelf' system would refuse to hold ANY ebook that was not a B&N or B&N-purchased ebook. Once again, the corporate big wigs know what's best for us. Goodby Nook, Hello Kobo !
Old 09-07-2018, 05:40 AM   #25
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Pfff that's outrageous! Glad you've said goodbye to B&N
Old 09-12-2018, 10:58 PM   #26
cband7

Kobo Clara HD Question

I have a Clara HD on the way and have one big question - Can the Clara read free generic epubs (non DRM, sideloaded plain .epub) ? The "free" part is not the issue, it's not being forced to only using Kobo/DRM books.

Anyone successfully using generic epubs with no DRM of any kind ?

Thanks !
Old 09-12-2018, 11:15 PM   #27
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by cband7 View Post
I have a Clara HD on the way and have one big question - Can the Clara read free generic epubs (non DRM, sideloaded plain .epub) ? The "free" part is not the issue, it's not being forced to only using Kobo/DRM books.

Anyone successfully using generic epubs with no DRM of any kind ?

Thanks !
Non DRM work fine I have my Aura packed Full of ebooks & 300+ on the SDCard
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:20 PM   #28
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
The Plastidip has held up fine, and I’ve been pretty rough with it. But I would say that 50% of my luck has to be pre-application prep, 30% is the application, and 20% is the brand of spray rubber.

Tips:
1) clean the surface with alcohol.
2) put the spray can in a pot of very warm water for a few minutes before spraying. It’s helps with atomization of the rubber.
3) the first coat should be a light coating, let it dry before the next coat.
4) subsequent coats should go on heavy.
5) the more costs the thicker the coating and the better. I did 5 costs.

It does pick up more lint/ stuff than smooth plastic. But it all brushes off easily enough. No you don’t have to do the front bezel, I only did the back cover.

-Edit-
I just noticed there is a small piece like a fingernail that was starting to lift up on the rear corner. My OCD got the best of me and I peeled the whole thing off in one piece. It is a perfect facsimile of the textured pattern on the back, including the Ramirez Kobo logo.
The upshot is my spray can should have at least another 20 or so jobs worth in it, considering how small the area is that I’m covering, and for me it’s readily available in several local stores so I can easily enough just spray on another application tonight.
Wouldn't it be better to just buy a case for it Heres quite a few on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=32ZK65CZGVFDW

Here is the style I like... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...CR0CNC5C&psc=1
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:14 AM   #29
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Wouldn't it be better to just buy a case for it Heres quite a few on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=32ZK65CZGVFDW

Here is the style I like... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...CR0CNC5C&psc=1

No, a case, however slim, makes the device more bulky/heavy. Some of us prefer to hold the naked device while reading
Old 09-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #30
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
No, a case, however slim, makes the device more bulky/heavy. Some of us prefer to hold the naked device while reading
each to their own. i like my ereader's covered up and only on show while reading. if i'd used them without a cover from the start then perhaps i would agree with you. it's obviously personally preference/what you get use to.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote