Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-11-2018, 04:13 AM   #1
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7
Connoisseur
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about

Device: PW4 32GB (G000 T607) 5.12.3
Is it possible to select only a portion of a word to look up in the dictionary?

Am looking for this because my dictionary perhaps has an entry for "water" and "monster", but when the book has a weird compound word like "watermonster" there is no way for me to get any useful information from the dictionary feature.
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You cannot select a part of a word, but you can initiate a search and type in the word you want to look up.
- tap at top of screen
- tap search - virtual keyboard appears
- type in word
- select Search Everywhere for ‘[word]’
- one of the results will be Dictionary, tap on that.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:05 AM   #3
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 View Post
Am looking for this because my dictionary perhaps has an entry for "water" and "monster", but when the book has a weird compound word like "watermonster" there is no way for me to get any useful information from the dictionary feature.
Try using a different dictionary. On my kindle both the Oxford Dictionary of English and The New Oxford American Dictionary corectly defined the compound word right-wing.

Last edited by Ricky D'Angelo; 07-11-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
Try using a different dictionary. On my kindle both the Oxford Dictionary of English and The New Oxford American Dictionary corectly defined the compound word right-wing.
The problem might be that Oxford dictionary cannot find compound "watermonster" since it doesn't exist.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:33 PM   #5
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
The problem might be that Oxford dictionary cannot find compound "watermonster" since it doesn't exist.
Yeah, I don't think it's a compound word either. Searching for water monster doesn't yield results either in the dictionaries currently installed in my kindle. However, going to the wikipedia section does yield some results. Following the links leads to the following definition.

Sea Monster. A large and aggressive creature living in or under the sea that attacks ships.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I’m not sure what one should expect if you look up a word and it is not in any dictionary. There are always going to be obscure or archaic or borrowed or invented words which you’ll have to figure out from context, or (depending on how motivated you are to investigate), consult other references. That is assuming it is not a typo or other error missed by proof readers.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:30 AM   #7
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7
Connoisseur
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about

@tomsem > - select Search Everywhere for ‘[word]’

This would have been a usable (albeit horribly clumsy) workaround, but it seems to only search the english dictionary, not my sideloaded Norwegian Bokmål one (which works great for the book itself).

https://media.giphy.com/media/20vJhJ...icxS/giphy.gif (sorry for the tilt)

Calibre's metadata said the book said is in "Norwegian" (3 choices, norwegian, norwegian bokmål, norwegian nynorsk), and my dictionary should hopefully be marked as nb-NO (norwegian bokmål). So am guessing the problem is not there (as it definitely shouldn't open an english dictionary if it were)

> I’m not sure what one should expect if you look up a word and it is not in any dictionary.

In my case, either bug in my scripts, bug in the parser am using or the word not being defined on Wiktionary ^^

@Lady Stardust >The problem might be that Oxford dictionary cannot find compound "watermonster" since it doesn't exist.

Indeed, the compound word may not even exist in an actual dictionary, (and may thus be a mistake on author's part), but I'd still like to be look up the two words to see what they meant.

Last edited by 3QVKwyNT9hR849t7; 07-13-2018 at 04:00 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #8
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

Quote:
. . .but I'd still like to be look up the two words to see what they meant.
My kindle fire can do that. . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage.png
Views:	201
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	165043   Click image for larger version

Name:	2Webp.net-resizeimage (1).png
Views:	126
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	165044  
Old 07-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #9
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7
Connoisseur

I updated my FW from 5.8.11 to 5.9.6.1 hoping that they added that feature meanwhile, but no.

Interesting that the Fire lineup can do that, sad that PW3 cannot.

EDIT: Figured how to make tomsem's workaround work after a call with support.

So, first of all, this is retarded, as you can only search a single dictionary at a time without having to manually switch them in settings.

I have a Norwegian to English dictionary I would like to search in.

In the "Language & Dictionaries" Settings tab, my kindle has "Language" set to English.

This means it'll use the dictionary that is set as default for English when using the search function (Which defaults to The New Oxford American Dictionary).

The dictionaries have a value for IN and OUT language. My Norwegian dictionary has nb-no for IN and en-us for OUT.

Now, this means that my correctly-marked nb-no>en-us dictionary will pop up under a separate entry without any language. - https://i.imgur.com/FBIv0d0.png

So there is no way for me to select it when trying to make it the default dictionary for the English language - https://i.imgur.com/LzhN5yc.png

The solution is simple and stupid. Incorrectly mark my Norwegian dictionary as en-us>en-us and set the default dictionary for the English language to my now-incorrectly-marked Norwegian dictionary.

This means that if I want to browse the English dictionary, or Norwegian Nynorsk dictionary instead of Norwegian Bokmål, I have to manually swap it to be the default dictionary.

And that still is just a workaround for not having a feature that the fire edition apparently has.

Last edited by 3QVKwyNT9hR849t7; 07-15-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:59 AM   #10
heythereimkira
heythereimkira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H20 Edition 2
Quote:
I updated my FW from 5.8.11 to 5.9.6.1 hoping that they added that feature meanwhile, but no.

Interesting that the Fire lineup can do that, sad that PW3 cannot.

EDIT: Figured how to make tomsem's workaround work after a call with support.

So, first of all, this is retarded, as you can only search a single dictionary at a time without having to manually switch them in settings.

I have a Norwegian to English dictionary I would like to search in.

In the "Language & Dictionaries" Settings tab, my kindle has "Language" set to English.

This means it'll use the dictionary that is set as default for English when using the search function (Which defaults to The New Oxford American Dictionary).

The dictionaries have a value for IN and OUT language. My Norwegian dictionary has nb-no for IN and en-us for OUT.

Now, this means that my correctly-marked nb-no>en-us dictionary will pop up under a separate entry without any language. - https://i.imgur.com/FBIv0d0.png

So there is no way for me to select it when trying to make it the default dictionary for the English language - https://i.imgur.com/LzhN5yc.png

The solution is simple and stupid. Incorrectly mark my Norwegian dictionary as en-us>en-us and set the default dictionary for the English language to my now-incorrectly-marked Norwegian dictionary.

This means that if I want to browse the English dictionary, or Norwegian Nynorsk dictionary instead of Norwegian Bokmål, I have to manually swap it to be the default dictionary.

And that still is just a workaround for not having a feature that the fire edition apparently has.
Hi, I can’t seem to grasp how to make a Norwegian Bokmål and a Norwegian Nynorsk dictionaries. Would you mind sharing yours? I would really appreciate it
heythereimkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #11
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Really? My dictionary will find "nut" and "job" and then finds "nutjob". Ah, but nutjob is a word. Now, if, as the title of the thread indicates, you want to look up "water" or "monster" then you can, on the Kindle, open the dictionary and look up the word. Although I'm not at all clear on what you actually want to do.

Last edited by patrickt; 04-19-2019 at 09:00 AM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote