Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Update: Oops. Not true. Numbers appear to be treated as symbols in Kindle 3

In the manual for K3 I read on p. 33:

Code:
"While typing, to enter a punctuation mark, symbol, or number, press the Symbol key"
This is a major letdown for me. Kindle 2 has separate keys for numbers. Kindle DX allows the top row to be used for numbers with key "Alt." This time, you have to go into a separate menu and then pick out numbers with a joystick (it is the bottom row in the symbols chart see p. 34). Ouch! I need numbers to be easily accessible, at least like in DX. The picture on p. 33 shows that there are no numbers on the top row for Alt+ combinations. Why couldn't they leave the DX-style operation for numbers?

Update:
My bad. I panicked too fast. I've just read page 144. Everything is as with DX there. Yey! The only issue is that the keys are not marked for numbers. I'll have to memorize that Y is 6, etc.

Last edited by osnova; 07-29-2010 at 05:59 PM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
yeah, that is one of the things that I'm really curious to see. I don't suppose I'm using location numbers constantly but I do use them a fair bit. It could be a real PITA.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Not to worry, it will apparently work like the DX as well as the SYM table. From the K3 manual, section 7.3: Kindle Shortcuts:

Quote:
While typing, you can use the top row of the keyboard to enter numbers. From left to right, starting with Q, the letters in the top row of the keyboard represent the numbers 1 through 9. The letter P represents the number 0. To enter a number: Press and hold
Alt and press a letter in the top row of the keyboard. For example, Alt + Q types the number 1, and Alt + U types the number 7.
I wonder if the line spacing adjustment will still work somehow, however (on K2, SHIFT+ALT+number). Not that I ever use that, but I like knowing it is there...

Last edited by tomsem; 07-29-2010 at 06:41 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote