KingOfMyWorld
KingOfMyWorld began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350, Touchpad, Kindle 2, Kindle Touch
Mobi and Empty Spacing?

I have a book that's got spacing between some paragraphs such as this

Quote:

paragragh
Paragraph

A letter to somebody or a news article on tv or in the paper.

Paragraph
paragraph
But instead of the spacing it all runs together as such.

Quote:

paragraph
paragraph
letter
paragraph
paragraph
Does mobipocket and AZW by association not allow spacing in the files? I've tried with Calibre and Book Designer, Calibre either has all spaces between paragraphs or none. Book Designer looks right until I make the file, then it's all smashed up leading me to believe it's a flaw of the mobi files.

Or is there a way that I have somehow missed to allow these "empty" paragraphs to remain.

I've also noticed that when converting there appears to be the last line of a paragraph is spaced funny, is this a problem with my eyes or the program?

Thanks for any help given.
KingOfMyWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
You could try editing the HTML file of the book (Notepad ++ or KompoZer are my favourites).

It should look like

<p>paragraph</p>
<br>
<p>letter</p>
<br>
<p>paragraph</p>

Also working:
<p>paragraph</p>
<blockquote>letter</blockquote>
<p>paragraph</p>

Using blockquote, the letter indents and there's space before and after. In the lower part of the screen attached, you can see the quote, and a quote with <br> to simulate a verse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Formate.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	54955  
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 04:17 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You can add vertical space in mobi by using the "height" property:

<p>Normal paragraph</p>

<p height="1em">A letter with space above</p>

<p height="1em">The next paragraph after the letter has some space above too</p>

<p height="2em">And then comes a "scene break", with a larger space, before this paragraph</p>
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:06 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Jellby's method is the best.

Empty paragraphs (or spans) are a little problematic in Mobi. Most versions of Mobi Reader respect them, and display a blank, but some (most notably the Windows desktop version) do not. Using the "height" attribute is much more reliable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
KingOfMyWorld
KingOfMyWorld began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350, Touchpad, Kindle 2, Kindle Touch
Both options work great, it's easier to replace the
Code:
<div align="justify">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</div>
in html's that are already made with the <br> tag using find and replace, and the other works best on newer documents.

You peeps have been a big help, Thank you.

Now I have to figure out page breaks to make the chapters separate as opposed to all run together...is there a thread anyone can point me to?
KingOfMyWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
glad we could help you!

as for the pagebreak:
<mbp:pagebreak/> does the job. It actually doesn't need the closing tag, but some editors close it automatically like <mbp:pagebreak></mbp:pagebreak>

Last edited by bear4hunter; 07-12-2010 at 02:25 AM.
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #7
Piscean
Piscean began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7, Windows Phone, ASUS tablet
I have a similar issue to KingOfMyWorld's original post.

My mobi formatted ebooks have the correct spacing when I load them into the Kindle for PC reader. But when I load them into FBReader (v 0.9.2) on the PB 360, all the paragraphs are crammed together.

The fact that the Kindle reader displays the formatting correctly leads me to believe it's been created correctly by Calibre and FBReader is not displaying it correctly.

Is there an option or switch for FBReader to alter this behavior?

Thanks.
Piscean is offline   Reply With Quote