Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 03-28-2003, 06:34 PM   #1
Aragorn
Aragorn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie NR-70
Question Reverse engineer HandStory clips

I recently had a PC crash and had to rebuild from scratch. I have re-installed HS, but all my custom direct clips are gone. Is there a way to "get them back" somehow from the PDA where the last clips I synched before the PC crash still exist?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 07:20 PM   #2
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Ouch...I hate it when that happens.

Any HS clip (.hsc) is merely the instructions on where to go to build the .pdb results file that ends up on your PDA. These won't do you any good to move back to the desktop for the purpose of generating new daily clips for your PDA.

Even if you could open (read) one of these .pdb files, I don't think it would have the original path you used to create the HS clip with, since by the time they get to your PDA they are essential encoded text files.

We have acccess to over a 1,000 pda-usable links here. Were your custom clips standard sites, or really custom to you? If there weren't that many, you could post a request here and somebody is bound to give you the correct links...then it's pretty easy to create the clip.

Sorry not to have better news, but will be happy to help you find your old links.
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2003, 05:36 PM   #3
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
I suggest that you start backing up the .hsc files that contain the clip information. If you have to reinstall HandStory, you can then copy these files into the relevant folder. You should back them up to some sort of removeable media - they won't be big, and you could even store them on your pda's expansion card.

The system is explained in the HandStory Suite online manual:

4. HandStory generates .hsc Clip definition files for Custom Clips

Before HandStory 2.2, Custom Clips added by users were only recorded in the HandStory preference file; if a user deleted a Custom Clip accidentally, there was no way to restore the lost information. Now that all Custom Clips have their own .hsc Clip definition files, backing up or re-registering Clips after accidentally deleting them will be much easier.

Simply run HandStory Clip Editor, select a Clip in the list, and click Register Clip. The .hsc files are stored in C:\Palm\HandStory (or your Palm Desktop path).
BasilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 06:40 PM   #4
Aragorn
Aragorn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie NR-70
BasilC,

A decidely wise recommendation! In fact, now that I know where they are stored, I may have them on the CD I was able to make just before the my PC finally failed. Thanks for that info.

gvtexas,

Having found this forum, I have indeed been able to find many of the links/clips that I had before the PC crash. I'm grateful a forum such as this exists.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote