Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
lopez948
lopez948 began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Smile nook or sony 950? also some 950 questions

Hello im new here and have recently got into ereaders via kindle 3 and nookcolor. I am looking to purchase one more and it will be a nook or sony 950 what are your opinions? Also i have a the nookcolor if I get a sony 950 can I download my books from barnes and noble onto it and my nookcolor? thanks in advance
lopez948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you have a Nook Color then I would go for the Sony 950. I love my DXG and its larger screen. I think you would enjoy the larger screen on the 950. And this way you have one of each of the big three.

My understanding is that the Nook can read Sony but I don't think that Sony can read B&N DRM.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
If the price for the 950 isn't an issue they hey what the hell run the gaumet of the Big 3 ereader companies.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Hi Lopez,

You got two good ereaders (if I can call Nook Color an ereader, I think it's more like a tablet, but let's leave the topic there, lol)

I would go for the Nook 1st generation. Like ProfCash said, I don't think you can read DRM protected books from B&N. Maybe an actual Sony ereader owner can confirm. Of course, not talking about DRM removal and all that stuff, making my statement "as is".

Device perspective, I think the Sony it's better hardware than Nook 1st generation but on your case, I would prefer keep it simple and keep buying or using same brand. However, Nook 1st generation is not so sluggish anymore. Most recent firmware made page turns faster and even improved battery life a little bit, so keep that in mind. It's cheaper I think.

Last edited by jocampo; 12-17-2010 at 05:15 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
If you get the Nook you can sync your two readers so when you pick the other up you will be in the same spot in your book.

I don't know much about the 950, but around here they are much more expensive than the Nook. As of right now I don't think the Sony's can read the B&N drm ebooks without manipulation.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert