Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 08:05 PM   #1501
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
It's autumn here so only a few late roses and the pelargoniums I forgot to prune! But lots of little bulb stems are appearing everywhere. (Daffodils etc flower in winter and very early spring here). What we do have is passionfruit! Tons of it. And the vine keeps madly flowering so I guess there are more to come.
We get most of our flowers on native plants from about now to very early spring as this coincides with the rain. Every year lots of honeyeaters nest in the garden, it's too hot in summer so now is "mate-finding" time. You would not believe how aggressive some of these tiny birds get. It's like a late Saturday night bar-room brawl!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #1502
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
The herbs are growing like crazy now! I harvested two different types of Rosemary, Thyme, Marjoram, Italian flat leaf parsley, and three different types of Oregano. They are tied into bundles and are hanging over my kitchen to dry. (If they don't get used up first!) The Lemongrass is just beginning to wake up from its winter sleep.

Besides the herbs, I have a large Jade Plant, a big Yucca, a pot of Lily getting ready to flower, and a few others that I can't name. Oh, and of course, two Tea bushes!

Edit: Forgot all my Aloe, Christmas Cactus, and stuff, even forgot my more Avocado tree! Familiarity breeds contempt...

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 04-30-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #1503
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Thank you
I've attached a photo of an empty bag, so it's easier to see what I've altered.
The bags are made from woven plastic, so it drains fine without holes.
Ea, can you tell us, what is the advantage of using these bags vs regular plastic or wooden containers? Is it just decorative, or is there something that aids growth?

Stitchawl
Old 04-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #1504
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Ea, can you tell us, what is the advantage of using these bags vs regular plastic or wooden containers? Is it just decorative, or is there something that aids growth?

Stitchawl
I can answer that! They are cheap -- 59 cents here. Easy to move -- they have handles. And almost indestructible. I've only torn one once, and that was while dragging it down a long driveway filled with old cast iron sewing machine heads.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #1505
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I can answer that! They are cheap -- 59 cents here. Easy to move -- they have handles. And almost indestructible.
Thanks, Betty. I had a feeling that was the case. I'm about to put in some zucchini and need some rather large planters. The one's I've been finding here would cost me about $10 USD. I prefer 59 cents...

Quote:
I've only torn one once, and that was while dragging it down a long driveway filled with old cast iron sewing machine heads.
The life of a 'Bag Lady' is not an easy one...

Stitchawl
Old 04-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #1506
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

The life of a 'Bag Lady' is not an easy one...

Stitchawl
Nor is the life of a collector of antique sewing machines!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #1507
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I can answer that! They are cheap -- 59 cents here. Easy to move -- they have handles. And almost indestructible. I've only torn one once, and that was while dragging it down a long driveway filled with old cast iron sewing machine heads.
I misread this and was about to ask you exactly WHY your driveway was filled with old cast iron sewing machine heads...
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:30 AM   #1508
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Another advantage that came to mind is the light weight. I'm not sure how significant that is, but if you want to grow plants on a balcony it might be... at least that's the first thing I thought about, because my little windowsill trees are in bad shape now, and I think it could be because they don't have enough soil in the small planter I put them in. But I don't see how I could hang an Ikea bag to my windowsill anyway...
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #1509
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Another advantage that came to mind is the light weight. I'm not sure how significant that is, but if you want to grow plants on a balcony it might be... at least that's the first thing I thought about, because my little windowsill trees are in bad shape now, and I think it could be because they don't have enough soil in the small planter I put them in. But I don't see how I could hang an Ikea bag to my windowsill anyway...
Actually it has more to do with my lack of a car and living in a small apartment. Much easier to transport and store if I don't use them. And ordinary containers take up more space on small balcony.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:03 AM   #1510
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
After a day with strong dry winds that reached gale strength for a few hours, rich green foliage on beech hedge and clematis has been severely damaged .... such a shame this early in the season.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:19 AM   #1511
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
My new raised bed is starting to produce. The netting is to protect from hail. I use the squares approach. Personalized. Weeding is very easy. I do not use fertilizers, but just the compost. I put some flowers also, to make it ... more human. The plants seem to cooperate. Weather is especially favorable. I have also many zucchini ready to be picked, but I want to finish the ones I bought. The last ones I hope.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0545.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	553.1 KB
ID:	71868 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0547.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	804.4 KB
ID:	71869

That is what I will have for lunch to day. It is a lettuce. I'll dress it with raw onions and tuna fish. Maybe lox? With home made whole wheat bread? And that new organic unsalted butter? A cup or two of Oolong? Yeah, and than a nap with the blue hair fairy.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #1512
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That salad looks tasty!

One of my "trees" died, so I took it away and sowed something else in its place. I'm not sure what it is, the label is in German. It's a kind of weed that should reach 40-70 cms.

I also sowed poppies and daisies
Old 05-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #1513
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
That salad looks tasty!

One of my "trees" died, so I took it away and sowed something else in its place. I'm not sure what it is, the label is in German. It's a kind of weed that should reach 40-70 cms.

I also sowed poppies and daisies
Ah les Boches.

well, lettuce is not the most tasty of the salads. I find more taste in chicories f.i.
Lettuce relies on the dressing. This one was very good. 15 minutes from picking it up to the sink for washing. Crunchy and so fresh. Very nice. To night repeat with a salade composè pour toute la famille. On boirais du bon vin aussi.

You will excuse my poor ortographe
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #1514
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

That doesn't look like lettuce (laitue) to me, it looks like feuille de chêne (oak leaf???), which is much better
Old 06-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #1515
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

One of my rockets is blooming already. Which is very cute and all, but where are the LEAVES I was supposed to eat?

I wonder if I can eat the flowers...