Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #106
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've been running Kindle on PC on Windows 10 before 10 was easily available (I ran the beta version of Windows 10 starting 2014) and have not seen an auto update on any of my PCs.

I also haven't seen a wave of complaints about the program updating when you tell it not to.
I've had Kindle for PC unexpectedly auto-update twice. Both times after I downgraded from a test upgrade. In both cases, I suspect the downgrade re-enabled the auto-upgrade and the auto-upgrade happened when I opened K4PC and before I clicked on do not auto-upgrade. I now disconnect from the network, open K4PC and change the setting.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:02 PM   #107
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've had Kindle for PC unexpectedly auto-update twice. Both times after I downgraded from a test upgrade. In both cases, I suspect the downgrade re-enabled the auto-upgrade and the auto-upgrade happened when I opened K4PC and before I clicked on do not auto-upgrade. I now disconnect from the network, open K4PC and change the setting.
Sounds fidgety to me!

But...after my most recent fidgets...I now have all of my Kindle books fumigated...and when I buy a new book, I take care of it right away (so far).

It's SO NICE to be able to read a book in FBReader instead of the Kindle app.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2019, 09:46 PM   #108
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
I have to ask: Were you actually replying to my post?
What part of what he wrote is not in reply to your post? You like Kindle, but don't trust anything else from Amazon technology wise. Amazon did not start out as a book store and then branch out. It was just coincidence that the first thing Bezos conquered was books. His goal from the very beginning was online commerce. Amazon as name came about to become the biggest online commerce company. He seen the potential back in 1994, sold his first book in 1995. So retail? Nah. Retail is a drop in the bucket in the greater scheme of things in online commerce. The thing itself has to be built. And that includes creating solutions in need of a problem you don't have the vision to see yet.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:28 PM   #109
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'll admit I was wrong. It was pure speculation
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:10 AM   #110
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Hence arrow on logo reaching from A ->Z on the name.
Though all their retail (which cunningly makes profit and pays little tax) is now a tiny part of Amazon's income. Their data centres / Hosting servers is the big profit & income and now close to top of the top 5.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #111
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Looks like Amazon saved me some money. No upgrades to their tablets. I've bought (at least) one pretty much every year.
There is new Fire HD 10 due the end of October.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:32 AM   #112
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But that's really a locked down Android Tablet, not an eink based ereader. Certainly buying a cheaper generic 10" Android tablet is fraught with risks (too slow CPU, too little RAM or Flash, too old a version of Android) but admittedly the Fire is cheaper than high end Tablet brands and works.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #113
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Yep. Announced after my post. And still saving me money as I'm not interested in that size.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #114
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Finally comes with USB-C
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:04 AM   #115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Finally comes with USB-C
And that is a downgrade and not an upgrade. It means if I am carrying the tablet and my Reader, I'll need two cables instead of one. It also means I'll need to stock more cables instead of using the cables I already have.There's no benefit to USB-C in this case.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #116
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
... It means if I am carrying the tablet and my Reader, I'll need two cables instead of one. It also means I'll need to stock more cables instead of using the cables I already have. ...
Or carry one cable and get a USB-C to micro USB adapter. Similar for stocking your stocking of cables.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:30 PM   #117
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Amazon has Hydra style data cables (do pay attention: many are charge Only)
I currently have a Thor's Hammer style (Mini + Micro) I leave in my car .
I found that at Walgreens years ago (Mt Astak was Mini,The Kindle was Micro)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:42 AM   #118
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
And that is a downgrade and not an upgrade.
I knew you would say that. If only Amazon had already begun updating their devices to USB C earlier...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #119
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I knew you would say that. If only Amazon had already begun updating their devices to USB C earlier...
I just like that it’s Amazon’s fault the ereader uses micro usb still.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote