Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
whyamisotired
whyamisotired began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel 7"
Pandigital Novel 7" - Canada/Kobo

How do i load books stored on the SD card rather than the internal memory?

I have loaded them Via Caliber but when i go to the SD card on the device it does not let me put them in my Library nor read them?
whyamisotired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
ssarmazi
ssarmazi began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
I believe the Novel wants you to put the files in internal memory under the ebooks\Kobo folder. If you use Calibre to transfer the file to internal memory ('Send to device' then 'Send to Main Memory') it copies the files to the ebooks folder (not the ebooks\Kobo folder).

I use this method (so that I also get the thumbnail onto the Novel) and then move the epub file from the ebooks folder to the ebooks\kobo folder, and then move the thumbnail from the ebooks\.thumbnails folder to the ebooks\kobo\.thumbnails folder. Or, if you don't care about the thumbnail, just copy your file to the ebooks\kobo folder and you're good to go.
ssarmazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
whyamisotired
whyamisotired began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel 7"
by using this method you are still using the main memory. I wish to load a few books on the external memory for my long trips.

So can I load books on the external memory (SD card) and read them on the Pandigital Novel ? or is the expandable memory just for music and video?

Thanks
whyamisotired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
For the Kobo reader the books have to be in internal memory but, if you load your books on the sd card you can use a file manager to move them over as needed and move the ones your finished with back to the SD card.

Have you done the FW update that opens up the Black Cnd PDN to the Android side. I have and I managed to install a youtube player as well as an excellent PDF reader that does "Text Flow". It's called RepliGo. I understand that there is a newer version but I prefer the versionn I have. This reader reads from the SD card. Also Documents to go has a free version that gives you access to Word docs and Excel in view mode. Again these access the files on the SD card.

=========
Update Jan 27, 2011
Pandigital supplied the Open Android FW on their website and it installed without a hitch.
=========

I also use ES File Explorer which does give access to read txt providing they are not too large.

For larger txt there is "Easy Reader" but it doesn't have the controls that you would expect in a reader. Text scrolls vertically.

ireader can access books from the sd card and page turns are horizontal and it does provide bookmarks, search feature, rotation feature and various settings for background and font style/color page scrolling setup etc.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 01-27-2011 at 09:13 AM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #5
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

I should add - if you have a problem getting the CND FW version I have a copy.

Also for the Youtube player - if you cannot find a version that works I have that as well.

I also have the prior version of RepliGo Pdf reader.

Just PM me and I'll make arrangements to get then to you.

John in Ottawa.
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
ssarmazi

I'm now using a free app called CoolReader, which does read my files from the SD card. And it's so easy to flip pages with it (something that is an absolute nightmare with the Kobo app). Perhaps you can try it.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:20 AM   #7
gbmarsh
gbmarsh began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel Black (Canada)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssarmazi View Post
I'm now using a free app called CoolReader, which does read my files from the SD card. And it's so easy to flip pages with it (something that is an absolute nightmare with the Kobo app). Perhaps you can try it.
Hi , new guy here. I have tried running CoolReader on my Pandigital Novel (Black 7" Canadian FW) It looks nice and opens my epubs fine but whenever I try to change anything in the settings menu it crashes to my home screen
Any thoughts?
gbmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
jlg432
Addict

gbmarsh I am in the same boat. I have the same issue. I suspect that it may have to do with the Android 1.5. Most options take you out of the reader.

Does any body else have a Black PDN that doesn't do this. May be any earlier version (if available) of Coolreader would work better for us.

John
Old 01-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
gbmarsh
gbmarsh began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel Black (Canada)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg432 View Post
gbmarsh I am in the same boat. I have the same issue. I suspect that it may have to do with the Android 1.5. Most options take you out of the reader.

Does any body else have a Black PDN that doesn't do this. May be any earlier version (if available) of Coolreader would work better for us.

John
Hi john, thanks for responding. I have tried earlier builds of Coolreader and they all seem to do the same thing. After asking this question here, I found this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112682
The developer of this app (Buggins) has posted links to all of his builds on sourceforge in that thread. I guess maybe we should take this discussion over there?

In the meantime do a Google search for FBReaderJ for android 1.5. I have this installed and working on my black PDN.

For 'whyamisotired' FBReaderJ will allow you to load books directly from the external SD card also.

Cheers,
Geoff
gbmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
jlg432
Addict

Gbmarsh thanks for the tip on fbreader. I am in the Soo and decided to check out MR using my pdn. So I did the search, downloaded the file and installed it (all using the pdn). I am even using it to respond to this. I am not interested in crap apps. I have a working copy of "doc to go" but I am trying to decide if I should buy it to gain full access. I wonder if anyone else has purchased this package on a pdn blk 1.5 android.

Btw. I had downloaded other versions of fbr but they had issues.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 01-31-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #11
jtintle
jtintle began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel Black
have any of you tried Aldiko reader on the PDN? I have installed it on mine, and works fine, just a thought
jtintle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #12
ssarmazi

jtintle,

I tried a couple of different version of Aldiko and it just won't display the books correctly. You actually have to scroll to the right to see the rest of the sentence, then scroll back to the left to start reading the next line. I've read about others having the same issue. I tried playing around a bit with the options but got nowhere. I did try 2 or 3 different epubs - same issue for all of them.

And the latest version (I think it's 2.0?) which just got released...well, that one I couldn't even install.

Otherwise, the flexibility / options look fantastic - I wish it would work for me.

What version do you have? And did you have to do tweak any settings to make it work for you?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #13
jlg432
Addict

I tried Aldiko but I found that the text would not wrap around to fit the screen. I tried several books but always the same problem. I have the black pdn (And 1.5). I do not find it convient to pan back and forth to read lines of text.

Anybody else having that problem?

John
Old 01-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #14
ssarmazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg432 View Post
I tried Aldiko but I found that the text would not wrap around to fit the screen. I tried several books but always the same problem. I have the black pdn (And 1.5). I do not find it convient to pan back and forth to read lines of text.

Anybody else having that problem?

John
Wow, what timing! Looks like we posted the exact same issue at the same time. So yes, I, too, an having the word-wrap problem!
Old 01-31-2011, 11:52 PM   #15
jlg432
Addict

I tried version 1.1.6, 1.2.13, 1.2.14 & 1.2.6 - the first two had problems downloading books and the last 2 allowed downloading but still had the word wrap problem. I even imported two ePubs that I know have no issues and they displayed the same once I reached the chapters. The same with the other prior books. The header page and copyright notices and dedications displayed fine.

John