Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I'm assuming Kindle 3 will work with WPA encryption?

Hi,

Just wanted to make doubly sure that the Kindle 3 would be able to work with wifi networks that have the WPA encryption on?
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Yes, you assume correctly.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK_Matrix View Post
Hi,

Just wanted to make doubly sure that the Kindle 3 would be able to work with wifi networks that have the WPA encryption on?
Works perfectly fine with my Kindle.
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
WEP, WPA, WPA2, Personal, not Enterprise.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
SpeckledJim
Enthusiast
SpeckledJim began at the beginning.

Device: K3 WiFi
I do hope no one is still using WEP.
SpeckledJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #6
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeckledJim View Post
I saw some one in some post in some forum some where say that they were using WEP. Go figure.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeckledJim View Post
I know of at least a dozen people still using WEP.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:35 AM   #8
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
WPA worked perfectly in my network.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:17 AM   #9
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
WEP is perfectly fine where I live. The signal doesnt extend past our house and we dont use it for anything special. I know, go figure.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #10
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
WEP is perfectly fine where I live. The signal doesnt extend past our house and we dont use it for anything special. I know, go figure.
Same here, I live in the sticks, the only neighbor that has the slimmest of chance of getting a weak signal is an elderly gentleman who doesn't even own a cell phone

But I will probably change over to WPA anyway for no other reason than: Because I Can!
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I know people who are stuck with WEP because they or their kids have a Nintendo DS which stupidly only works with WEP. The way Nintendo designed it means that it can't get a software upgrade to WPA support. You need to buy a DSi to get WPA.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
KarlL
KarlL knows what time it isKarlL knows what time it isKarlL knows what time it isKarlL knows what time it isKarlL knows what time it isKarlL knows what time it isKarlL knows what time it isKarlL knows what time it isKarlL knows what time it isKarlL knows what time it isKarlL knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFK_Matrix View Post
Hi,

I ran a Kindle (3g,WiFi) on a WPA home network while using an IP spoofer with no problems
from the Kindle at all. I've ordered a Kindle Touch (not here yet) and expect no problems
with that same home netwrork, BTW, Caliber also runs in that network with no problem.
KarlL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
I know people who are stuck with WEP because they or their kids have a Nintendo DS which stupidly only works with WEP. The way Nintendo designed it means that it can't get a software upgrade to WPA support. You need to buy a DSi to get WPA.
Many modern Wifi routers allow mutliple virtual wifi networks (with different SSIDs). I set one up to use WPA for the main connection, and a WEP connection for the NDS).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote