Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
nook screensaver images

I really like the 'Authors' screensavers that come with the nook. The formatting of the image is kinda cool; it's not grayscale, and the image seems more like it's sketched or something. I don't know how to explain it, but I'm sure my fellow nook owners know what I'm talking about.

Any idea how I can get more images like that? I've downloaded a few more images (of authors and otherwise) and they display fine, but as a grayscale image. I want them to be like the black & white 'lined' image of the original authors.

Is there any place I can get such images? Or, alternatively, some way I can convert my existing images to look that way? Any guidance will be appreciated.

P.S. I use a Mac, if that makes a difference.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:14 AM   #2
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
I don't know of one either, however, it's not too difficult to make a Nook screensaver. You could start with some of these or some of these
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 03:00 AM   #3
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for those, Poppa.

I see you searched for "woodblock". Is that what this style of pics are called?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Thanks for those, Poppa.

I am not sure if it's called woodcut art or wood engraving art, but you can search for these terms additionally to get more pictures like that. To answer your original question, there is a photoshop plugin called engraver that transforms pictures to similar art style, go to http://www.alphaplugins.com/products/products.php and take a look.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Quote:
You might try "scratchboard"
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
frossie
Geek Herder
frossie is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
Another way to find e-ink friendly images:
  1. Go to Google image search
  2. Search for an image of interest (eg. "Eiffel tower")
  3. In the search options to the left, click on "Line Drawings"

You'll get lots of black-and-white material, rather than "grayscale" images, which I think is what the person was asking for (apologies if I misunderstood).
frossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
I don't think any of the images are actual engravings from wood, or linoleum, or copper. The images look like very well crafted photoshop images. By that I don't mean it was from a manipulated source, but rather they were drawn from a blank image.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #8
afa
The Forgotten

Good suggestions, guys.

Thanks. I'll give those a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
To answer your original question, there is a photoshop plugin called engraver that transforms pictures to similar art style, go to http://www.alphaplugins.com/products/products.php and take a look.
I actually had guessed that Photoshop would it. Unfortunately, I don't have Photoshop. In fact, I've never used it, and don't really know how it works. And considering its steep price, it's not something I'm willing to pay for it.

Might be wishful thinking, but I don't suppose anyone knows any free image editing software that can do this?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Might be wishful thinking, but I don't suppose anyone knows any free image editing software that can do this?
There is an open source image editor that I've used for years on Linux. It's available for Windows at Gimp for Windows. There are a lot of tutorials online and it's nearly as powerful as Photoshop.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
afa
The Forgotten

I actually have a Mac, but fortunately Gimp seem to have a version for OS X, as well.

That's awesome, Jerry, thanks a lot. I'll try and teach myself to use it.