Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #16
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
Okay I solved that problem after a few times of plugging and unplugging.

Unfortunately my tags are again doing some weird things. I used the method superlucky outlined. But now I have two collections both with the same name. For instance I have a "Classics" collection with all books with the "Classics" tags. And I have a second "Classics" collection with the books stored on the memory stick with "Classics" tags.

Sorry if this is confusing. I'd really like to just have one classics collection showing all the books regardless of where they're stored.
I don't think you're going to get satisfaction on this one. For some reason the 505 will makes separate collections for books stored on its internal memory and those stored on the cards. For this reason, I usually just put books on the SD card.

You could use sort your books in calibre based on non-overlapping tags (e.g. fiction/nonfiction) and load, for example, non-fiction books on your reader and fiction books on the card.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #17
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
That's a good suggestion. It means a lot of deleting and resending, but I don't have a huge collection yet so that should work fine.
Thanks to all for all the help.
When all is said and done I love my Sony 505 and playing with it is almost as much fun as reading it. I think that'll wear off soon though and I'll just want to read without a lot of tinkering.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #18
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
When all is said and done I love my Sony 505 and playing with it is almost as much fun as reading it. I think that'll wear off soon though and I'll just want to read without a lot of tinkering.
I don't know, I still love to tinker.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:17 AM   #19
sideburnt
Connoisseur
sideburnt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@sideburnt: Stop spreading FUD
I think its fair to let people know BOTH Pro's and Con's to thier actions.

I love Calibre for what it is trying to achieve, and am impressed at the level of commitment and activity you have with Calibre.

However, this is a forum of opinions, it is not fair for you to ask me to silence MY opinion, which is based on fact, and personal experience.
sideburnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:31 AM   #20
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburnt View Post

I love Calibre for what it is trying to achieve, and am impressed at the level of commitment and activity you have with Calibre.

However, this is a forum of opinions, it is not fair for you to ask me to silence MY opinion, which is based on fact, and personal experience.
Booooooo

No one wants to silence you, but it does take some gall to insult calibre here at MR. I doubt you could come up with a more unpopular opinion.

Calibre is hands-down the best and most versatile ebook management software available. It's also free and open source. Calibre represents everything that's good in the world. Can it be improved? Sure it can, but have a little respect.
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #21
sideburnt
Connoisseur

Who's dissing anything?

I have expressed my admiration of Calibre, multiple times and was a happy user while the 5.x.x.x versions were core.

I have had multiple issues with Calibre and my metadatain v6 renditions, and expressed my opinion on its metadata management, which I think in a forum is a reasonable thing to do.

Im surprised at the backlash here, I happen to share your view that it could be improved, and that right now it doesn't do the job that prior versions did.

If I then mention that I am having a better time of things with another peice of software is that not something I can talk about?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Seems there's a couple of things in play here wrt Calibre.

If there are legitimate issues/problems this is a great place to bring them up, discuss them and potentially get resolution given that the creator is right here!

If there are differences of OPINION as to how something should work, that's a different thing and certainly fair game in an open forum, but if it is continually thumped on, that is just bad manners. You know the old saying -- "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:46 AM   #23
sideburnt
Connoisseur

but im not thumping anything?

I just happend to have 4 different issue all arise within a small space of time?, all caused by Calibre.
But I appreciate your help in getting this back down to earth.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburnt View Post

If you want to express an opinion, couch it in those terms, as your opinion, or as problems you have had. Do not go around posting in multiple threads something along the lines off "calibre cannot handle collections correctly". calibre *can* handle collections correctly, as plenty of people have said. If you are having problems, start a thread describing them, giving as much information about your problem as possible and ask for help.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote