Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Kindle font hack ??

Have we already talked about this and I missed it? If we haven't talked about it, why not?! Looks like somebody out there has created a "font hack" which some feel is a great reading improvement for the Kindle 2. I'd like MR opinions before I install anything!

===========
Quote Anarel Riyl on the Amazon Kindle forums:

I have also installed the font hack on my kindle, and I would definitely recommend using it; I'll post the link to the site in a moment.

https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati...-install-files

Midway down the page there is a list of fonts you can choose from. You click on one of them to download it, then you connect your Kindle via usb to your Computer.

Individual font files are installed by placing a single of the the update_xxx.bin file into the top level directory of the Kindle 2 through a USB connection. The Kindle 2 is then to be updated to install the new fonts. This is done as follows:

1. From the "home" screen, press "menu"
2. Select "settings"
3. Press "menu"
4. Select "Update Your Kindle"

The Kindle will go through the installation procedure and restart itself. Don't use the slider or the menu 'restart option' to do this. This causes an infinite reboot cycle. Just let the Kindle do its thing when you go through the update process. I've done this hundreds of times now without a single glitch.

There are several different font sizes to choose from, and it definitely makes the text MUCH darker; it's a world of difference from the font the Kindle has in it's original state.

Also, as long as you follow the simple instructions, it does not screw up your kindle, and it is easily uninstalled, without a trace on your Kindle. The only thing that does happen is that your Kindle will not be able to wirelessly update- meaning, if Amazom sending out software version 4.0, the font hack will prevent it from updating. But, seeing as software updates don't happen so much, if and when you find out that there is a new update you simply uninstall the hack, download the update and then install the hack again.

It really only takes a few minutes, and it's definitely worth the effort!
Unquote
===========
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
benjaminkitt
benjaminkitt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
There's a thread about it here. I have Helvetica 2 installed and love it! It's very easy to do.
benjaminkitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Visual Kindle Guide
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Made my Kindle 2 100% better.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
I've been linking to that in my signature for awhile now. I agree that it improves the Kindle 2 alot.
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Ah, now I recall that thread. I read that some found it to be not a great improvement, so I decided to skip it. But now at least I *know* one can change the fonts -- and I may change my mind later on, and MAKE the change!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote