Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
Bierius
Enthusiast
Bierius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 / Sony PRS-505&500 / ipod touch 2nd gen
Where is the PRS505 manufactured?

Hi All

I was just wondering if the PRS505 is made in Japan like my old trusty PRS500.

I was really impressed with the build quality of my reader and am now considering upgrading to the 505 when they are released in sunny UK.

Cheers

ps sorry if this has been covered b4
Bierius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The 505 is made in China, but the build quality is just as excellent (if not better).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
The 505 is made in China
bummer ...
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From what I hear it was designed in Japan.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
Bierius
Enthusiast
Bierius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 / Sony PRS-505&500 / ipod touch 2nd gen
Most products manufactured in China do seem to have some quality issues. But as long as the new PRS505 still has that solid feel/look coupled with good reliability, I don't care where it's made.

Thanks for the info igorsk!
Bierius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
igorsk
Wizard

Well, Apple products are made in China too. Does that make them shoddy?
Old 07-31-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierius View Post
Most products manufactured in China do seem to have some quality issues.
I think that's a wild exageration.

I am an amateur astronomer, and the Chinese optical industry has revolutioned that hobby by providing low-cost, high quality telescopes at a fraction of the price they'd cost if made in western countries, Japan, etc. They are high quality and superb value for money.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote