Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
paulsparrow
paulsparrow began at the beginning.

Device: vox
Newspaper reader

Does anyone out there know of a newspaper reader that works with the Vox. I have a subscription to a local newspaper and PressReader now wants nearly $400 per year fee to use their software. Surely someone out there must be using something as I don't see why a single subscription would sell.
paulsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I have an app called Canada Newspapers on my Vox. Not a true reader for subscriptions but it has a number of choices of Cdn papers and I get my news free...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Kobo has support for newspapers in the reading app
http://www.kobobooks.com/newsstand
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:27 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsparrow View Post
Does anyone out there know of a newspaper reader that works with the Vox. I have a subscription to a local newspaper and PressReader now wants nearly $400 per year fee to use their software. Surely someone out there must be using something as I don't see why a single subscription would sell.
Paul they want 400 dollars a year to subscribe to 1700 newspapers, including five automatic downloads of your choice daily. Definitely not a bargain if you only want one paper, but for people who read several papers daily, definitely not a rip off.

Ask your local paper if they recommend a specific app.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
paulsparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Paul they want 400 dollars a year to subscribe to 1700 newspapers, including five automatic downloads of your choice daily. Definitely not a bargain if you only want one paper, but for people who read several papers daily, definitely not a rip off.

Ask your local paper if they recommend a specific app.
I figured out the issue with PressReader. I phone to cancel my Print subscription to the Province newspaper and they canceled both print and digital. Therefore PressReader was asking for the huge subscription fee. (and no its not $400 for 1700 newspapers but $400 to use a tool that can work on 1700 newspapers - you still have to subscribe to the papers).

After re-ordering my subscription and re-setting up the access in PressReader it now works.

As usual when there are poor to no directions and problems arise so does the difficulty in getting things to work.
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
It's $29.95 /mth which is $359.40 /year (in US Dollars) for access to over 2000 newspapers and magazines, or so it says on their web site. Though to be honest it is clear as mud to me what you really get for that subscription fee. It looks like maybe you get a certain number of downloads/credits per month to download newspapers but they don't seem to say anywhere I can find what that number is.

From their web site:
"For the price of a single newspaper subscription, receive access to over 2000 full-content newspapers and magazines every day, and help save our forests. "

I think I will stick to using Calibre for the little bit of newspaper reading I do, its free! and also saves our forests

Last edited by jiminrussell; 12-21-2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: slight correction to my math
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
paulsparrow

After my subscription issues were solved what I have now is a local newspaper subscription at 11.50 per month, a savings of $23 per month over my print subscription. With PressReader now working with that subscription I"ll have my Vox paid for in less than a year and I'm saving trees. That alone is the reason I bought the Vox.

I do find it frustrating as Jiminrussell pointed out that information on programs and such are very limited and questionable. Hopefully one day that all improves.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsparrow View Post
I do find it frustrating as Jiminrussell pointed out that information on programs and such are very limited and questionable. Hopefully one day that all improves.
Yeah, I think though it is usual for the programs themselves to offer help files, rather than the folks who make the device they are used on.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote