Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Some pictures of the eDGe

The more I use it, the more impressed I am. Excellent for a first generation release. Attached are some pictures of how the Edge has displayed some of my technical ebooks (PDFs). I am very satisfied so far. I will have more along with more pictures coming later with a better quality camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02849.JPG
Views:	846
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	46623   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02850.JPG
Views:	802
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	46624   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02851.JPG
Views:	777
Size:	892.8 KB
ID:	46625   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02852.JPG
Views:	786
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	46626   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02854.JPG
Views:	742
Size:	903.2 KB
ID:	46627   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02862.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	46628   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02863.JPG
Views:	766
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	46629   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02864.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	46630   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02865.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	46631   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02866.JPG
Views:	757
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	46632  
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
This looks great. Two question:
1. How big is this thing when closed? Comparing to a letter sized paper?
2. Can you turn off the LCD and just open the eInk screen?
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
karavisa
karavisa began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Would you please compare the quality of eink to other device. How sharp is it? Is it possible compare to kindle DX.
karavisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

I am not sure if you can turn off the LCD. I will be trying that next. Attached is a picture for size comparison with an old Dell D600 14.1". As far as comparison with the Kindle DX, I compared it last night with my neighbor's Kindle DX and the quality of the eInk on the eDGe looked better in all the PDFs we tried. We both agreed the eDGe displays sharper eInk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02869.JPG
Views:	689
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	46633   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02871.JPG
Views:	699
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	46634  
Old 02-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
I am not sure if you can turn off the LCD. I will be trying that next. Attached is a picture for size comparison with an old Dell D600 14.1". As far as comparison with the Kindle DX, I compared it last night with my neighbor's Kindle DX and the quality of the eInk on the eDGe looked better in all the PDFs we tried. We both agreed the eDGe displays sharper eInk.
Hi Z,

Your photos look impressive, thanks.

About that comparison with Kindle DX: it is possible that Edge has a better PDF rendering, since I think it features Adobe's native technology.

But another thing on these photos caught my eye: the eInk seems to be really bright, the background looking almost white. So besides PDF rendering, can you tell us how does the brightness/contrast compare to that of your neighbour's Kindle?

Thanks again!
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
zetareticuli
Addict

John, you are correct. Better than the Kindle DX on all counts including eInk. My friend who has been a proud Kindle DX owner some some time now is extremely impressed with the eDGe. You can't go wrong with it. The clarity of the PDFs, the zooming, the speed, page turns, notes, etc. Very impressive. Page turns, zooming, etc, is noticeably faster than the Kindle DX. The background looks brighter in the picture than it is really is. I see the background just fine and it doesn't bother me. I will try with a better quality camera. I will post some more stuff later.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
Looks like the only big issue so far reported is the weight. The spec says 3 pounds, which means it is not supposed to be held in the hands, but put on something like the desk or thigh etc.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
zetareticuli
Addict

The weight is a problem, yes. Don't know about the battery life yet. I have had on for 2 hours now and the battery indicator still shows full charge. But I have not been using it nonstop through that time so I can't say yet. The weight is an issue and the Kindle DX would win in that category, of course. The eDGe is certainly not a "grab and go" reader. It is equivalent to a netbook in weight and size. In fact, some netbooks are lighter.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Can you read books on the LCD side of the device? (so you can read both in dark and light surroundings?)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:18 AM   #10
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Those are some great photos! Thanks for sharing.
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #11
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Can you read books on the LCD side of the device? (so you can read both in dark and light surroundings?)
Yes, wondering about that too! =)
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
zetareticuli
Addict

Yes, you can read books (PDF) on the LCD.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #13
mgm1979
Zealot
mgm1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage eDGe
nice pics, Z...

The LCD screen can be powered off by locking it - to use the eInk side exclusively...this is where the eDGe should come in near that claimed 16 hrs of battery life.

Also, to clarify...PDF books are read on the LCD screen via the DocsToGo software by DataViz - which also means, if you had books in Word (.doc), you could also read them on that side. There are some Android eReader apps I noticed on a couple sites, which I would imagine could open/read books on the LCD screen as well, but that is purely speculation on my part - I haven't gotten to the point of testing that yet...
mgm1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
So - two separate 'brains', so to speak?

Could you be reading on the e-ink side and then switch over to the other screen immediately with the same book and in the same place if it got dark, for instance?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
mgm1979
Zealot
mgm1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
So - two separate 'brains', so to speak?

Could you be reading on the e-ink side and then switch over to the other screen immediately with the same book and in the same place if it got dark, for instance?
Pretty much...I don't think there's any communication between the eInk and DocsToGo, considering they just loaded that software on the devices in the last 30 days and there are more pressing software updates in the works. I would imagine it would be possible, down the road though - good thinking!
mgm1979 is offline   Reply With Quote