Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
estral
Just trying to survive
estral doesn't litterestral doesn't litterestral doesn't litter

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
Calibre - Ever on 64 bit Vista or Windows 7?

OK folks, this is not an invitation to slam operating systems!

I run Vista 64 on my main workstation because of Photoshop CS4 benefits. I would like to run Calibre on the same machine.

Is this ever going to happen? Eventually, it will have to happen because of the new machines being shipped 64 bit only.

Please advise.

TIA, and thanks for all the good work on the product.

Uncle Eric
estral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by estral View Post
I run Vista 64 on my main workstation because of Photoshop CS4 benefits. I would like to run Calibre on the same machine.

Is this ever going to happen? Eventually, it will have to happen because of the new machines being shipped 64 bit only.
Calibre is a 32-bit app, but it (as will most every other 32-bit app) should run fine on 64-bit Vista/7. The only exception is that the Sony 500 driver won't work on it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Eventually, it will have to happen because of the new machines being shipped 64 bit only.
You are probably right,....eventually. However even though 64 bit machines have been the norm for a while now, there is no requirement to run a 64 bit OS on them. There is so little software that really takes advantage of 64 bit capabilities, that it is often not worth the loss of compatibility to run a 64 bit OS. Obviously that will eventually change, given enough time.

Here is a thread about running Calibre in a 32 bit VM on a 64 bit machine.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37894
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre runs fine on 64 bit machines
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
(as will most every other 32-bit app) should run fine on 64-bit Vista/7.
That really depends if WOW64 has the resources the app requires doesn't it? Is it certain that Calibre will run correctly on WOW64?
Old 03-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre runs fine on 64 bit machines
That answers my questions!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
That really depends if WOW64 has the resources the app requires doesn't it? Is it certain that Calibre will run correctly on WOW64?
Why would you expect that it would not?

BOb
Old 03-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Why would you expect that it would not?
Emulation, such as WOW64, always has some gotchas, but Kovid already answered the question regarding Calibre, so that settles it for this thread.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
estral
Just trying to survive
estral doesn't litterestral doesn't litterestral doesn't litter

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
I may not have been clear, I know the product runs on 64 bit machines.

Will calibre run on machines with a 64 bit OS.

Also, will the Calibre Sony 505 drivers work on the 64 bit OS.

FYI, Sony's 2.3 software did not run on my 64 bit Vista; however, version 2.5 runs ok.

TIA

Uncle Eric
estral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
The only exception is that the Sony 500 driver won't work on it.

BOb
What exactly does that mean? Are you talking about the Sony Connect software? Or, is this a drive that Calibre needs to transfer books to the Sony? Does the 505 need this driver?
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
What exactly does that mean? Are you talking about the Sony Connect software? Or, is this a drive that Calibre needs to transfer books to the Sony? Does the 505 need this driver?
I mean the driver that comes with Calibre. No, the 505 doesn't need this driver since it mounts as a mass storage device.

BOb
Old 03-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Will calibre run on machines with a 64 bit OS.

Also, will the Calibre Sony 505 drivers work on the 64 bit OS.
Yes and there are no drivers needed for the 505.

BOb
Old 03-18-2009, 11:48 PM   #13
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: Boox Leaf2 (broken) Past: H2O, Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
I think all question has been answer, but I'll add anyway. I'm on Windows 7 Beta x64 and happily using Calibre with PRS-505 everyday. The only downside I know of is that I can't type Thai when editing metadata on the main view. That has nothing to do with being x64 OS anyway.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #14
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Guys,
I have not purchased an ereader yet and am bouncing between the K2 and Sony PRS-505. I loaded Calibre on my Vista 64 machine last night to get a sneak peek (great program btw)... Thought I saw a message regarding no Sony support in 64 bit OS... IS that not true any more?
Thanks,
RA
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
Thought I saw a message regarding no Sony support in 64 bit OS... IS that not true any more?
Thanks,
RA
That is only true for the Sony 500.

BOb