Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 06:51 AM   #1771
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
"We search for patterns, you see, only to find where the patterns break. And it's there, in that fissure, that we pitch our tents and wait."

-Nicole Krauss, Great House (2010)
I did not really enjoy the novel itself, but there were some excellent slices of prose here and there.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #1772
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
"We search for patterns, you see, only to find where the patterns break. And it's there, in that fissure, that we pitch our tents and wait."

-Nicole Krauss, Great House (2010)
I did not really enjoy the novel itself, but there were some excellent slices of prose here and there.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=80
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #1773
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I've been reading poetry today and came across a couple for lines that particularly struck me and thought it might be interesting to start a thread of lines (opening lines, selected lines, or quotes) from any reading you might be doing along with references of course so that anyone interested can look them up and read for themselves. .....

Kenny, I know it's been a few days since you've wrote this, but I'm a little bit irritated because a post dissappeared here during the last hours. Do these "rules" preclude profound lines we thought up by ourselves? Are only quotes and wise thoughts allowed that we find in other books? Are they necessarily better than our own thoughts?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #1774
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
When they're self-promoting their own books, they belong in Author Self-Promotions.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #1775
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Tom (although I didn't conceive it this way).
Old 10-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #1776
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Kenny, I know it's been a few days since you've wrote this, but I'm a little bit irritated because a post dissappeared here during the last hours. Do these "rules" preclude profound lines we thought up by ourselves? Are only quotes and wise thoughts allowed that we find in other books? Are they necessarily better than our own thoughts?
A few days....

As Tom said. I got dinged in the short story thread for mentioning one of my stories.

The intent here is to stimulate interest in reading the book/books where the quotes appear or quote from an author in general...but really I think a bit of everything has shown up here over the years. ... yes years...that's more than days.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #1777
Billi
Wizard

Quote:
I think a bit of everything has shown up here over the years
That has been my impression, too.

Quote:
The intent here is to stimulate interest in reading the book/books where the quotes appear or quote from an author in general...
Great thread!

Quote:
... yes years...that's more than days.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #1778
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
That has been my impression, too.

Great thread!

Old 10-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #1779
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

:drags thread back to topic:

"It's a curious thought, but it is only when you see people looking ridiculous that you realize just how much you love them."

- Agatha Christie in An Autobiography
Old 10-21-2011, 04:47 AM   #1780
kennyc

The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.
- Isaac Asimov
Old 10-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #1781
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.
- Isaac Asimov
Old 10-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #1782
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
“When I was growing up, Sweden was still a country where people darned their socks. I even learned how to do it in school myself. Then suddenly one day it was over. Socks with holes in them were thrown out. No one bothered to repair them. The whole society changed. ‘Wear it out and toss it’ was the only rule that applied. As long as it was just a matter of our socks, the change didn’t make much difference. But then it started to spread, until finally it became a kind of invisible moral code. I think it changed our view of right and wrong, of what you were allowed to do to other people and what you weren’t. More and more people, especially young people like you feel unwelcome in their own country. How do you react? With aggression and contempt. The most frightening thing is that I think we’re only at the beginning of something that’s going to get a lot worse. A generation is growing up right now, the children who are younger than you, who are going to react with even greater violence. And they have absolutely no memory of a time when we darned our socks. When we didn’t throw everything away, whether it was our woollen socks or human beings.”

~ The Fifth Woman by Henning Mankell
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #1783
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Ghost Story

"My gast was pretty well flabbered."
Harry Dresden in The Dresden Files #13 - Ghost Story - By Jim Butcher
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #1784
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
*snort*
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #1785
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I... don't... understand...
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote