Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
jdege
Connoisseur
jdege began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
Custom USB cable

The Nook Color comes with a nonstandard micro-USB cable.

I understand why - charging times on a standard micro-USB would be prohibitive. But it causes a problem.

I used to have a number of portable devices that used USB - phone, bluetooth ear piece, GPS etc. That they all used the same charger and the same communications cables was convenient. I'd have one charger at work, one at home, one in the car, and kept a cable connected to by PC at home, and at work, and one in my laptop case, and I didn't need to drag around separate cables for each.

My new phone uses micro-USB. And so does the Color Nook - almost. The question is, how close is almost?

Can I transfer data between my Nook and my PC using a standard micro-USB cable? Can I safely transfer data between my phone and my PC using the Nook micro-USB cable?

Can I safely charge my phone using the Nook micro-USB charger and cable?

In other words, I have six locations where I used to have USB cables - charging location at work, charging location at home, charging in the car, transfer to PC at work, transfer to PC at home, and transfer to laptop. Now that everything is moving to micro-USB, I need a second set. Or do I need a third?

If the Nook used a standard micro-USB, I'd be able to keep a micro-USB cable at each of the six locations, and use it with my Nook, my phone, and whatever other micro-USB devices I might collect. But since the Nook doesn't use a standard micro-USB, do I need to keep two micro-USB cables at each location? Or are there situations where I can use the same for Nook and phone? And if so, which?

Thanks.
jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
The NC USB cable is required for fast-charging. For data transfers, you can use a standard micro-USB cable.

You can also charge the NC with a standard USB cable and charger (I charge it with the nook classic charger and cable), but at a much lower rate (about 4 times slower). You could have your fast-charger at work and standard charge at home for overnight charging. That said, I am not sure you could use the NC charger for other devices, I haven't tried that.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert