Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 09:25 PM   #1
kpoviv
kpoviv began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle touch 8th Frozen

A couple of months ago I left my kindle connected to the USB of my PC and I forgot about it. The next day I grabbed the kindle and it was frozen, that is, I remain on a page of a book I was reading and there was never a way to defrost it.
Try all this:
-Press the button for more than 40 seconds to reset.
-Charge the battery until the light turns green and try the same and different steps of resetting youtube and the kindle page.
-I saw a video of how to disassemble a kindle, opened it inside and took out the battery and the connection of the flex and replaced them correctly.
-Everything remains the same, it is more 2 weeks ago the kindle has no battery and remains on the same page where I am frozen.
The only solution I can think of is to touch the motherboard of the kindle with a tin soldering iron, for that I think I need someone to help me. Someone should know how to do a reset of the kindle through the motherboard.
Is that or throwing away something that doesn't work for me more than a month ago. (I don't have money to buy another one)

Model motherboard "30-001931"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191202_215322157.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	951.7 KB
ID:	175301   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191202_215340016.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	813.8 KB
ID:	175302  

Last edited by issybird; 12-03-2019 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Oversize images.
kpoviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:59 PM   #2
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Try connecting your Kindle to a wall charger for at least 20 hours. Yes, twenty hours even if you're sure that it's already charged. You'd be surprised how often that clears up problems.

Then try a Kindle restart (hold the power button until it reboots).

If it remains frozen try connecting to a different USB port on your PC. But first reboot your PC if it hasn't been rebooted since this problem happened. Can you see your Kindle files in your file manager? I would also try removing the book you were reading and your most recent (book) download.

Still no joy? Then you could see if an update will clean things up. You can manually download a Kindle firmware update from your computer then transfer it to the root directory of your Kindle, then restart it by holding down the power switch again. The update will automatically install when your Kindle restarts.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:38 PM   #3
kpoviv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
Try connecting your Kindle to a wall charger for at least 20 hours. Yes, twenty hours even if you're sure that it's already charged. You'd be surprised how often that clears up problems.

If it remains frozen try connecting to a different USB port on your PC. But first reboot your PC if it hasn't been rebooted since this problem happened. Can you see your Kindle files in your file manager? I would also try removing the book you were reading and your most recent (book) download.

Still no joy? Then you could see if an update will clean things up. You can manually download a Kindle firmware update from your computer then transfer it to the root directory of your Kindle, then restart it by holding down the power switch again. The update will automatically install when your Kindle restarts.
It is already charging, I will wait 20 hours or a little more, I will test if the first step works and answer here, thank you very much.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
kpoviv

Quote:

I just tried the first and second step.
* - I left charging the kindle battery for 21 hs, I did all types of reset and none worked.
- I tried to use another USB (my cell phone) on another PC (my brother's). in none of them he reads his memory, nor does he make the sound of windows when a pendrive or some type of memory is connected. It simply does not give any type of response, continue with gelado as always. The only thing that works for my kindle is the orange light until it changes to green to warn that the battery is charged and for the restart when I keep it pressed for a long time and flickers.
-The last step could work without the PC detecting the connected device?
I return to my theory that there must be some way to reset the device from the motherboar as I have seen in the photo of another kindle, but its motherboard is completely different.

reset of another kindle:
Old 12-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First we need to look for signs that the battery is charged. Nothing else will work if the battery is actually discharged, defective or unconnected. Ideally we'd like to measure the battery voltage with a meter or install a serial port connection to see if the processor is running. But basics first.

You charged it for 20 hours which is sometimes necessary to charge a weak battery.

Did the LED (power light) stay solid amber while charging?
Did the LED eventually turn green or not?
With the USB cord disconnected, what does the LED do when you try to turn it on with the power switch?

There are several "8th gen" Kindle models, you appear to have a Kindle 2 (2016) which is usually referred to as a KT3 model here.

With the USB cable disconnected, press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. You should see the the LED turn amber and blink four times. You can let go of the power switch after you see it blink four times. Or let us know if it doesn't blink so we can see where to go next. You sort of described this already but it wasn't entirely clear to me what you observed.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
kpoviv

Quote:
First we need to look for signs that the battery is charged. Nothing else will work if the battery is actually discharged, defective or unconnected. Ideally we'd like to measure the battery voltage with a meter or install a serial port connection to see if the processor is running. But basics first.

You charged it for 20 hours which is sometimes necessary to charge a weak battery.

Did the LED (power light) stay solid amber while charging?
Did the LED eventually turn green or not?
With the USB cord disconnected, what does the LED do when you try to turn it on with the power switch?

There are several "8th gen" Kindle models, you appear to have a Kindle 2 (2016) which is usually referred to as a KT3 model here.

With the USB cable disconnected, press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. You should see the the LED turn amber and blink four times. You can let go of the power switch after you see it blink four times. Or let us know if it doesn't blink so we can see where to go next. You sort of described this already but it wasn't entirely clear to me what you observed.
When I left the kindle charging his battery yesterday, the color of the light was orange, 2 hours, 30 minutes passed and the light changed to green (charged battery) and I left him charging the battery until the hours we agreed (20-21 hours) .
Disconnect the cable and press the button for more than 40 seconds. While the button is pressed the light turns on in green for 2 seconds, then flashes 2 times in the same color (green) and then automatically changes to orange, flashing in that color 5 times. And that whole pattern is repeated 4 more times during those 45 seconds.
I just tried to press and hold for 30 seconds with the cable on and something similar happens with no cable connected, with the difference that when I release the power button the light turns green.
*I have a kindle touch 8th the motherboard model is "30-001931"

The last photo I uploaded is not from my kindle, it is from another kindle old of some unknown user of another forum that the only way to solve the freezing of his screen was by touching the motherboard. My Kindle is the one above where you can see two photos together.

Old 12-05-2019, 01:25 AM   #7
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius

The picture you added is from a different and much older Kindle model. It looks like a Kindle keyboard model reader. AFAIK there is no reset switch like that for your KT3. A hard reset on your model would normally be done by making choices on a screen menu or alternately with a serial connection. Mechanical reset switches like that used to be more common on Palms and older Kindles but are seldom seen on newer devices, Kindle or otherwise. So that really isn't an option on your Kindle.

Can I assume that there has been no screen activity at all throughout this? This would be useful to know.

The LED blinking pattern suggests that it is blinking a diagnostic code which would be very useful information if we knew what it meant. Amazon hasn't graced us with a full list of LED diagnostic codes such as would be found in a service manual but a call to Amazon support reveals that this means that you have a critical battery fault.

So we think that the battery has charged because the LED goes from amber to green in the expected manner. But the processor still isn't getting a sufficient voltage.

To me that suggest the most likely problem is a failing battery. But it could also be a failed voltage regulator, capacitor or other power component. Or it might simply be an egregious software fault that is spurning misleading data. You should try to get the battery tested. Perhaps you can find a full service battery shop or a general electronics dealer that could take a moment to measure the battery voltage for you? Or somebody that you could borrow a multimeter or voltage meter from?

A normal battery would be about 4.2 volts fully charged. And 3 volts fully discharged. Anything below 3 volts would suggest a defective battery. If you need a new battery they appear to be about $10 - $15 through ebay, aliexpress, etc.

If the battery is OK or you can't find a way to check it, then I would suggest that you borrow or buy a serial port adapter ($3 - $15). This would give detailed information about what the processor is doing, the likely failure point and battery voltage. As well as giving us a way to update firmware or do a hard reset if necessary.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #8
kpoviv

I read your comment last night. In my country they do not sell that spare battery so I invented one with a battery of a used cell phone that has the similar voltage and it went quite well. It works the same as the original battery. I conclude that maybe it is some kind of voltage that damages the kindle's memory, since in my first comment it said that it stopped working after I forgot the kindle connected in the usb of the pc for a long time. In fact, now I remember that when I stopped working, I went to Kinlde's page and spoke with a representative for char. When I told him what happened automatically he told me that they were going to change my kindle (they didn't do it because later I told him about the country it was and they told me that there is no way to change me for another because there are no branches). Since they knew that atomotically, leaving the kindle connected for a long time could freeze or damage the memory.
I already ruled out the battery problem with the experiment I did last night. If it were the problem that kindle's memory was frozen, is there a solution or is there nothing else to do? That's why my question from the beginning "is there a way to reset the kindle from the motherboard?" Maybe that is the only solution.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #9
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius

There isn't a switch or the like to reset your Kindle from the motherboard. You could buy a serial adapter and temporarily solder (or even tape if you are careful) it to the motherboard. This would give you a lot of information about what the Kindle processor is doing and a way to reset your Kindle by typing commands on a connected PC.

You would need a 1.8v TTL serial to USB UART adapter e.g. like this. I have also seen them priced < $3 from Chinese vendors on ebay. Although you get more erratic quality control and documentation and have to wait a month or two to receive items from such vendors.

What type (chemistry) and voltage was this cell phone battery that you used for the Kindle? That could easily have a lot of bearing on this situation. Something that you might have mentioned much earlier.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #10
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoviv View Post
Since they knew that atomotically, leaving the kindle connected for a long time could freeze or damage the memory.
Well, that's definitely not true. I wonder what faulty script these customer service people are working from?
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:27 AM   #11
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I don't know what country you're in, but can't you just buy a new battery from amazon or ebay? Seems like it would be easier to fit a new battery, especially as the battery appears to be the main possible cause of the problems.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
amazon don't sell kindle batteries, they write off faulty devices. [ and sometimes offer a discount to buy a replacement]
buying from ebay/amazon marketplace sellers is a risk because even if they supply a good battery the actual fault could be some other component.
surely given the low cost of s new one with a full warranty it is daft to chase after repair solutions that could cost as much or more. It's not like its a valuable antique or has irreplaceable content ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:46 AM   #13
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
amazon don't sell kindle batteries, they write off faulty devices. [ and sometimes offer a discount to buy a replacement]
buying from ebay/amazon marketplace sellers is a risk because even if they supply a good battery the actual fault could be some other component.
surely given the low cost of s new one with a full warranty it is daft to chase after repair solutions that could cost as much or more. It's not like its a valuable antique or has irreplaceable content ?
Good point. A Basic Kindle wouldn't cost much.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead, frozen, not working, problem, troubleshoot