Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
pistoli
pistoli began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
Exclamation New Kobo Aura - Dead pixel!

Hello and happy new year.
I just realized that my new Kobo Aura which i bought last week has a dead pixel! Didn't notice it in the beginning but i really didn't searched for it till today that i read somewhere about dead pixels and i checked my kobo and found one!
Now its there on the left watching me.
Does this happen often? Should i take it back and get a new one hoping that the new one doesn't have a dead pixel or more than one? Or should i just forget about it as it is a tiny black spot?
Does a dead pixel mean that more will be off soon or a bad screen or something? Please help a noob! Other than that i have been really enjoying my device this past week but now i feel a bit disappointed (new devices should be perfect right?)
pistoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
Many manufacturers have a specific set of conditions for warranty or replacement when it comes to dead pixels. usually, ONE dead pixel is not enough. it typically has to be a group of maybe 5+ to be eligible.

i have 8 computer monitors, 2 of which have ONE dead pixel each - one that's shining red, another that's shining green. once you have actual content on the screen, you don't notice ONE dead pixel
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #3
pistoli

I didn't know that about the set point for replacement. But im pretty sure that if i want to take it back to the shop i bought it from, they will accept it as there is a 14day return policy (if im not mistaken).
I have been reading the Stand by S. King for the last week and really didnt notice anything until today that i searched for it. So you suggest that i should not ask for a replacement even though i may be eligible ?
Old 01-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you could just return it for a refund. finish that transaction quietly. then, just walk over and buy a new one as if nothing happened.

karmically uncool, but if it helps you read in peace...

(now, what if the 2nd one you get has one dead pixel as well? or.... TWO dead pixels!?!?)
Old 01-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
pistoli

hahah damn you really arent helping! (just joking mate )
Yes thats why i ask if its common to get dead pixels in kobos (not monitors) and most important: what people had done in the past while in my situation.
Btw if i decide to take it back there is no reason for a refund, just replacement and crossing fingers the new one wont have more than one dead pixel!
Old 01-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #6
burnafterreading
Groupie

glad to avoid helping!

i wouldn't be surprised if a single dead pixel occasionally shows up in anything that has a million pixels, be it an e-reader, monitor, camera sensor, etc. the only way to avoid it is to have production screening for every panel, checking every pixel, and that isn't going to result in an affordable final product (not just due to the effort to screen, but also due to "so, what do we do with the rejected ones that cost us money to manufacture but have a dead pixel?")

if you ask for exchange, they might ask why, and if you say dead pixel, they may say that's not a good enough reason or give you a hard time. it might be easier and less hassle to just to an outright refund, and then buy another one. but that really depends on the store.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:41 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
E-ink screens don't get dead pixels. If it's a large black spot, that's a burst e-ink capsule. If a bright spot, it's likely a defect or damage to the light guide layer (or a mucky screen, sometimes!). Do you have a good photograph?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:54 AM   #8
pistoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
E-ink screens don't get dead pixels. If it's a large black spot, that's a burst e-ink capsule. If a bright spot, it's likely a defect or damage to the light guide layer (or a mucky screen, sometimes!). Do you have a good photograph?
Thanks for the reply! Didnt know that about dead pixels and e-ink.
Its a small black spot on white background but when i turn off the kobo and a dark screensaver comes up, the spot is greysh-white. Strange! Should i call the shop for a change (if its still possible)?

Here are 2 photos:
Spoiler:
Check on the left of the screen. You can see a black spot and down of it a smaller black spot less intense! I couldnt get a good picture of them apearing whitish on the black screensaver.
http://s18.postimg.org/jfk2ptqop/IMG_1729.jpg
http://s18.postimg.org/y3zkengih/IMG_1733.jpg
Old 01-03-2015, 05:56 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoli View Post
T
Its a small black spot on white background but when i turn off the kobo and a dark screensaver comes up, the spot is greysh-white. Strange! Should i call the shop for a change (if its still possible)?
I don't know whether I'd personally return that. You could try reading through a book or two and seeing if it's constantly bothering you. Or just exchange it (I'm hoping most stores would say yes when you point out the blotches).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:18 AM   #10
pistoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I don't know whether I'd personally return that. You could try reading through a book or two and seeing if it's constantly bothering you. Or just exchange it (I'm hoping most stores would say yes when you point out the blotches).
I have already read around one thousand pages this last week i have been having the kobo and didnt even realize it was there till i searched for it after reading about it somewhere. So it truly doesn't bother me. But i would like to know at least what it is.
Anyway i think ill keep it and just consider my aura special hoping i dont have any other problems in the future.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:09 AM   #11
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
Just forget about it, it doesn't interfere with your reading and it's barely visible. If everything else works on your Aura you're good. (And you risk getting a replacement with worse problems)
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:20 AM   #12
BookChook
BookChook began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
bright spots and defects in screen

I have had a similar issue where I see various bright spots on the screen. I never had this issue with my Kobo Aura H2O. It is most visible at night time (when I do most of my reading) with the natural light filter turned on. It bothers me quite a bit, and since this was a high end model and cost quite a bit i did go to the effort of exchanging it for another. I have just exchanged it for the second time (onto my third version) and this one has the same issue too. All THREE Kobo Formas have had this issue. I am now at a loss as to what to do. It is clearly an inescapable error for the Kobo Formas. The first one had approx 5 faulty pixels, the second only had 1 (should have kept it!), and the third one had about 6.
BookChook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead, dead pixel, pixel