Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #16
DeReader
Connoisseur
DeReader doesn't litterDeReader doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iRex DR1000S, Kindle DXG, Jetbook Color
I also ordered the DR800S today. I'm a long time user (nearly 1,5 years) of the Iliad and like the display size and resolution.

Primarily I read technical books in PDF format on the Iliad, but it is sometimes very slow, especially if there are graphics on the page, so I hope there will be a speed improvement with the DR800S. The native support of ePub is also a plus for me.

Sure, the price point is high and not what I expected after the first announcements of $399, but I wanted a device with a resolution higher than the "standard" of 600x800, but not as big physically as the Irex Digital Reader. And the only available device at the moment, which fits that requirement, is to my knowledge the DR800S.

I'll post a little comparison between the Iliad and the DR800S after I get the unit.

What pisses me off a bit is that, despite the expensiveness, there's no leather cover included. They want further 42,- EUR for that
DeReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #17
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeReader View Post
I also ordered the DR800S today. I'm a long time user (nearly 1,5 years) of the Iliad and like the display size and resolution.

Primarily I read technical books in PDF format on the Iliad, but it is sometimes very slow, especially if there are graphics on the page, so I hope there will be a speed improvement with the DR800S. The native support of ePub is also a plus for me.

Sure, the price point is high and not what I expected after the first announcements of $399, but I wanted a device with a resolution higher than the "standard" of 600x800, but not as big physically as the Irex Digital Reader. And the only available device at the moment, which fits that requirement, is to my knowledge the DR800S.

I'll post a little comparison between the Iliad and the DR800S after I get the unit.

What pisses me off a bit is that, despite the expensiveness, there's no leather cover included. They want further 42,- EUR for that
Seems to be the actual trend, not including covers anymore.
Kindles don't have them. Sony 300 and 600 didn't either.
Very positive surprise and exception: Sony 900 came with a leather cover and an additional protection cover.
At least, iRex 800 comes with a sleeve.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #18
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmm, the press release did mention it would be delivered with a cover.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69864

Quote:
Price and Availability
The device will sell for Euro 499/GBP 449, including VAT, and comes with a custom cover and stylus.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #19
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Hmm, the press release did mention it would be delivered with a cover.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69864
Let's see what I'll get.
Their webshop states:

In the box:

IREX Digital Reader 800S
Protective sleeve
Stylus
Micro-USB cable
Wall charger with International set of plugs
Quick start guide
Old 01-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #20
DeReader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
IREX Digital Reader 800S
Protective sleeve
Stylus
Micro-USB cable
Wall charger with International set of plugs
Quick start guide
Ok, then there's at least a sleeve included, but not leather cover offered in the shop.

Hopefully the included sleeve will protect the device adequately.
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #21
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, it should be on its way now! Wonder how long it will take...
Old 01-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #22
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Has anyone received shipping information yet?
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #23
DeReader
Connoisseur

I received shipping information a few minutes ago . Estimated date of arrival is the 21. of January.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #24
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Quote:
I received shipping information a few minutes ago . Estimated date of arrival is the 21. of January.
Cool, I'm sure there are a few of us here who would like detailed impressions. Pictures and videos would be great if you have the time and equipment. I'm particularly interested in overall impressions, build quality, time to boot, suspend functionality and of course battery life. Thanks in advance for anything you can find the time to share. Enjoy!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #25
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Cool, I'm sure there are a few of us here who would like detailed impressions. Pictures and videos would be great if you have the time and equipment. I'm particularly interested in overall impressions, build quality, time to boot, suspend functionality and of course battery life. Thanks in advance for anything you can find the time to share. Enjoy!
You don't want much, do you

But I agree with Goodbar, we just want to know everything, all done by friday, naturally!

(though, if you can tell what the battery life will be by friday, I doubt it'll be any good )
Old 01-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #26
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Ok, then there's at least a sleeve included, but not leather cover offered in the shop.

Hopefully the included sleeve will protect the device adequately.
Technically, it can be this:
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #27
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Just got the UPS confirmation for delivery on 21st as well. Will post first impressions about 1pm CET, if all goes by the plan.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:10 PM   #28
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
You don't want much, do you

But I agree with Goodbar, we just want to know everything, all done by friday, naturally!

(though, if you can tell what the battery life will be by friday, I doubt it'll be any good )
No, I'm pretty easy to please, did I mention HD video would be good as well! Good point on battery life, but maybe they can at least get an early feel for it based on initial usage.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #29
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Just got the UPS confirmation for delivery on 21st as well. Will post first impressions about 1pm CET, if all goes by the plan.
I'll be looking forward to your first impressions. It'd be nice to see how well it all works out.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #30
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Well, it's not for sale at the Mediamarkt here yet, with a random employee stating "he had not seen the name come up at all in the orders yet"

Last edited by zerospinboson; 01-20-2010 at 11:05 AM.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote