Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 01-06-2024, 03:15 AM   #1
oldbear
oldbear began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Exclamation KOReader on Remarkable 2 with version 3.9.3.1986

Hello,
I've just bought a Remarkable 2 and I thought I'd be able to install KOReader on it. Except that I'm starting to notice on the forums that the update to system version 3 (latest version 3.9.3.1986 installed as standard on the tablet I bought) has rendered many hacks unusable, such as Toltec, which was recommended for installing KOReader until now.
Is it still possible to install KOReader, or is it now dead?
oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 07:36 PM   #2
everdred
everdred began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Remarkable 2, Android, Linux
While I understand that installing KOReader on newer firmwares (some, at least) is possible, I've been sticking to the latest version that Toltec supports. You can downgrade your device to a system version that supports Toltec.
everdred is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2024, 07:36 AM   #3
oldbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everdred View Post
While I understand that installing KOReader on newer firmwares (some, at least) is possible, I've been sticking to the latest version that Toltec supports. You can downgrade your device to a system version that supports Toltec.
I didn't find any source saying that KOReader could be installed on the last firmware.
I saw that I could downgrade my Remarkable but I fear of bricking it.
I saw some posts about how to unbick a Remarkable 2 and I won't be able to do it (you'd have to create a little USB dongle, with a little circuit... I really don't know how to do that!).
So I'm going to wait for Toltec to be ported to the new firmware one day (although I doubt it, since I've been reading around that a Remarkable 3 will probably be released this year).
If anyone has other proposition until this, i'd be glad
Old 01-09-2024, 07:43 AM   #4
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
The RM1 has no external dependencies. The RM2 requires https://github.com/ddvk/remarkable2-framebuffer

Trying KO in a newer firmware is just a matter of checking prerequisites, enabling ssh and see what happens. 99% of the port should work as is.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 08:03 AM   #5
oldbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
The RM1 has no external dependencies. The RM2 requires https://github.com/ddvk/remarkable2-framebuffer

Trying KO in a newer firmware is just a matter of checking prerequisites, enabling ssh and see what happens. 99% of the port should work as is.
It seems simple when you say it but i don't know how to do that ?
Advert
Old 01-09-2024, 12:19 PM   #6
everdred

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
It looks like framebuffer isn't currently supported on the newest system versions of RM2, so 3.3.* is the latest.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:46 PM   #7
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbear View Post
It seems simple when you say it but i don't know how to do that ?
I would recommend you to follow everdred's suggestion and use toltec (if/when available or downgrading your device).

Anyhow, if somebody wants to test KO on a 3.x firmware just follow steps 0 - 7 on https://github.com/koreader/koreader...l-installation
Old 01-09-2024, 02:47 PM   #8
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by everdred View Post
It looks like framebuffer isn't currently supported on the newest system versions of RM2, so 3.3.* is the latest.
Good to know, thanks!
Old 01-09-2024, 05:12 PM   #9
everdred

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbear View Post
I saw that I could downgrade my Remarkable but I fear of bricking it.
I did a bunch of reading about the process and found the same scary hardware recovery process for recovering from a softbrick. But from what I read, the actual system version downgrade is not considered risky (with the caveat that Remarkable notes created on a newer system version can't be opened on an older version due to format changes). To downgrade you just need to be comfortable using ssh, editing files in a unix terminal, and running a python script on your PC (following the directions I linked yesterday).

What you do need to watch out for when using Toltec is that performing a factory reset with Toltec installed will softbrick your device. (Factory resets on Remarkable are counterintuitive; it wipes the user data but doesn't reset the system software, which Toltec modifies). In short, best practices are to: uninstall Toltec before any factory resets, and always have key-based SSH authentication enabled just in case.

Last edited by everdred; 01-10-2024 at 11:12 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-10-2024, 10:50 PM   #10
nixR3ad
Enthusiast
nixR3ad began at the beginning.

Device: Sage / rm2
I rushed to buy an Rm2 when I learned how hackable they are. I downgraded to 2.15.1.x immediately and installed KOReader plus a bunch of other things. I am heavily invested in the KOReader project and wanted this so badly. My other reader is a Sage.

I'm a linux support engineer. (Fancy title for technician), and I know a few things, but I still had so many close calls and rescues that were only possible because I was in the SSH session already, that I gave up, undid the patches and mods, updated to a newer stock OS (which is still root access linux btw). I am so much happier. Decide for yourself though.

Remarkable does a wonderful job of pushing quality improvements in each release. It's not a reader. It's a notebook. That said, I'm applying some softer mods, but nothing extreme that will keep me out of the coolest "notebook" features in the latest OS. Give your Rm2 a solid chance. Read books on a dedicated device with KOReader, and use your "notebook" to make cool notes on what you read. After 10 years chasing that unicorn, I'm telling you there is no "one device."
nixR3ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 06:02 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixR3ad View Post
Remarkable does a wonderful job of pushing quality improvements in each release. It's not a reader. It's a notebook. That said, I'm applying some softer mods, but nothing extreme that will keep me out of the coolest "notebook" features in the latest OS. Give your Rm2 a solid chance. Read books on a dedicated device with KOReader, and use your "notebook" to make cool notes on what you read. After 10 years chasing that unicorn, I'm telling you there is no "one device."
Hype. Good to see you admit it's a poor ereader, though has a good PDF viewer.

Last FW I tried added a touch keyboard. It's one of the worst 10.3″ eink notebooks on a the market. A poor clone of Sony DPT / Fujitsu Digital paper.
It's the most slickly marketed and hyped of all eink tablets ever.
Small amount of Flash storage (6 to 7 G free), only networking for USB, no metadata library interface. Inferior to Pocketbook, Scribe, Boox, Sage or Elipsa.
Note taking on Nebo on iPad (or Android models with a digitiser pen), Sage or Elipsa is better.
Actually I think the original reMarkable is better to write on and use than reMarkable 2.
The Kobos don't need jailbroken.

It was trivial to add KOReader to the Elipsa or my 7.8″ boyue Likebook Mars Android eink.

I gave away my reMarkable.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-11-2024 at 06:05 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 02:34 PM   #12
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Hype[...]
Please do your reviews elsewhere, on another subforum where it adds something to the conversation.

Thank you very, very, much.
Old 01-12-2024, 12:05 AM   #13
nixR3ad
Enthusiast

I'm not saying Remarkable is better without Koreader. And I'll take koreader over my Rm2 any day. But it's a buggy experience that is less then stellar at best. One should t least know how to work with systemd, undo stuck bind mounts, and/or check the hash of a binary for patches, delending on your installed Rm2 hacks.That's not for when hard "briking," might occur. That's just for when koreader or or specifically its dependencies like rmfb bisbehave.

I root devices to put open source software onto them. Koreader is one of my favorite. Remarkable is GP, and . They dio a good job, plus the root account is freely available already. Ironically, the most popular Rm2 "hack" is not itself open source...
Old 01-12-2024, 12:56 AM   #14
nixR3ad
Enthusiast

^Edit: GPL. Can't correct the typo.

to add, because there are a lot of ruined Rm2's out there, this isn't Koreader's fault. There is a 100% safe way to install Koreader on (much older) Rm2's firmware provided the following method is used: running it as the sole graphical application. Actually, by following the default method of the package maintainer's documented way of installing it, this is what happens. Koreader gets installed (from the Toltec repos), the stock suftware, xochitl, gets disabled, and Koreader comes on at each boot. Changing the GUI application requires an ssh session and systemd services. Changing the application back is the same process. Oother packages are needed to make it work the way most people expect, and those do not play well with Rm2's design. Rm1 is better for this. Uninstalling isn't guaranteed to work for a lot of people, and factory resets over certain Rm2 hacks that didn't fully uninstall will 100% brick it.