Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-30-2008, 03:25 AM   #196
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I bought it for us to watch together on Christmas Day.

So I'm dying from curiosity... how do they do THE VOICE?
Now that you've most likely seen Hogfather what do you think of Death? THE VOICE I think was done quite nicely. I am looking forward to when I get to reading Hogfather. But as I am reading Discworld in order, it'll be a while.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #197
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Thanks. Through Google I found this interesting post from 1997 which is possibly an early source of this connection:
https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/w...-L&D=0&P=46631

It seems possible that this comment came from or is related in some way to this segment (allegedly) of The Discworld Companion, by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Briggs:
http://www.geocities.com/liessa_nl/discworld
"Take Hogswatchnight, the Discworld winter festival. It's partly a pun on 'hogwash', but also takes in 'Hogmanay' and the old Christian 'Watch Night' service on 31 December. Even if people don't directly spot this, it subconciously inherits the feel of a midwinter festival."

That was the closest I came to finding a source attributable to Pratchett. Most of the pages were just copies of each other, usually taking text from the current Wikipedia article or what I suspect are just earlier versions of the Wikipedia article.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #198
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now that you've most likely seen Hogfather what do you think of Death? THE VOICE I think was done quite nicely. I am looking forward to when I get to reading Hogfather. But as I am reading Discworld in order, it'll be a while.
This may be hard to believe, but no, we haven't watched it yet. There's a bit of a problem getting all the family members who want to see it in one place at a time (with a TV). We're working on it!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #199
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm finding Small Gods to not be all that wonderful. It kind of plods along.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #200
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
It gets more hectic toward the end.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #201
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
I felt that way for the first half, and then I thought things got a lot more interesting. It took me two tries to get through that one, though, because I gave up during the first half the first time I tried to read it.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #202
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm not giving up on Small Gods. I just read a little bit at a time. I have 120 pages left. What I plan on doing is finishing Final Jeopardy which is really good. If Linda Fairstein's latest book didn't have such an interesting description, I never would have been reading her first book in the Alex Cooper series. After this one, I'll finish up Small Gods and then move on to the Book Club's March choice.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #203
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
That's my favorite Discworld book so far.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:39 PM   #204
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
That's my favorite Discworld book so far.
I just started it, and so far I'm finding it very funny. Of course, I am on some pretty strong medication ... so even waking up to find my nose hard up against a seriously poopy cat butt seems pretty damn funny to me.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #205
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I just started it, and so far I'm finding it very funny. Of course, I am on some pretty strong medication ... so even waking up to find my nose hard up against a seriously poopy cat butt seems pretty damn funny to me.
Hard for me to be sure about other people's reading tastes, but I think you'd find this one funnier than cat poop even without the meds, Ricky.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #206
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Pratchett is great There are also some really good audiobook versions of his books at Audible which I listen to sometimes (very well read). However I mostly read them as paperbooks when I was a teen - got the imagination going!!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #207
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:

Which book is that in - I haven't got that far yet ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:41 AM   #208
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
... so even waking up to find my nose hard up against a seriously poopy cat butt seems pretty damn funny to me.
Probably wouldn't be so funny if it turned out to be Greebo
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #209
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Small Gods did get better towards the end. I rather liked the last 1/4 quite a lot.

Lords and Ladies is the next book in the series for me to read.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-01-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #210
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I found Lords and Ladies a tad hard .... maybe on the second read-around it might be better ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
terry pratchett, unutterable silliness