Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-15-2008, 10:29 PM   #181
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Witches Abroad is one of my favorites. Don't forget to read the Tiffany Aching books, too. Any time, at this point, I would say, as they don't overlap so much with the others, and you've got enough of a handle on the rest of the witches to have good context for Tiffany.
Which books are those?? I assume that if they are part of the Discworld series, then I'll hit them at some point.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:29 AM   #182
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Tiffany Aching is The Wee Free Men (excellent), A Hat Full of Sky (excellent) and Wintersmith (not bad, I'd save Wintersmith until you have no other pratchett left or just have to have more Feegles in your life.). In that order.

I wouldn't bother with the non discworld novels until you've finished discworld There's a good list here http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Bibliography I'm not suggesting that some of them aren't just as good.

My personal favorites are Wyrd Sisters, Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, Pyramids, Small Gods and Carpe Jugulum but you could grab any you like the look of. If you read The Colour of Magic, read The Light Fantastic right after since it's the only real duology (better than the movie btw). Of the discworlds, I'd save Wintersmith and Monstrous Regiment for last as I think they're the weakest but that's just my opinion.

oops, one more note. If someone is starting with The Colour of Magic, skip all the prologue, foreword, preface stuff and go straight for the story. Get into the story before you try to learn the physics and astronomy and that background stuff Mr. Pratchett thought you needed to know. It put me off from reading the book the first few times I tried and fortunately I read a later book and got hooked, then went back and realized what it was that was so off-putting. His strength isn't world painting, it's dialogue and plot where his brilliance shines. Again, in my opinion.

Last edited by wayspooled; 12-16-2008 at 03:56 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #183
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

I'm plugging on with reading them in publication order ... introductions and all. And, so far, that is working for me extremely well.

I rather enjoy leaving a character for awhile, moving through some other part of the Discworld, and then coming back to that character later.

I also really like the fact that I know a character's back-story (like the Librarian ---- "ook") from its beginning.

I haven't found a book I haven't really enjoyed yet ....
Old 12-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #184
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Yeah, whatever order you're enjoying them in, is the right order
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #185
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Yeah, whatever order you're enjoying them in, is the right order
That sounds about right.

My younger daughter (14) is just finishing Wee Free Men. She's going to read A Hatfull of Sky next. I may see if I can pry her away from her moody goth vampire books long enough to read the rest of the Witches books, but I don't think she'd go for the others. Maybe the Susan books, though there's a lot of context she'd be missing with Soul Music--not Discworld context, either, but stuff in our world. She'd probably like The Hogfather and Thief of Time, though.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #186
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I found the portrayal of Death in Hogfather (movie version) to be quite good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #187
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I found the portrayal of Death in Hogfather (movie version) to be quite good.
I bought it for us to watch together on Christmas Day.

So I'm dying from curiosity... how do they do THE VOICE?
Old 12-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #188
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
oook....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:43 AM   #189
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Oook!!
Old 12-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #190
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I think I just found out about another major gap in my education ...
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #191
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
I think I just found out about another major gap in my education ...
Oook, eeek!!

It does help to speak Orangutan, as well as Llamaese, and Duck, if you plan to hang around here very long. Pandaese is also a good bet.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #192
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
So that's why I can't get my head around most of these threads.
They have a weird green icon in front of them ... something with "unutterable silliness"

mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:45 AM   #193
atesta
Banned
atesta began at the beginning.

Device: TBA
After reading the books don't forget to look at "The Annotated Pratchett File". There you can find most of the references you might have missed. There is no information on more recent books (2004), but it should be enough.
atesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:57 AM   #194
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by atesta View Post
After reading the books don't forget to look at "The Annotated Pratchett File". There you can find most of the references you might have missed. There is no information on more recent books (2004), but it should be enough.
Good site, but doesn't address one question I have: is "Hogswatchnight" partially inspired by Hogmanay? Not that Terry Pratchett isn't perfectly capable of coming up with a porcine-based holiday on his own, but when I ran into references about it today, I couldn't help but wonder.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:28 AM   #195
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Good site, but doesn't address one question I have: is "Hogswatchnight" partially inspired by Hogmanay? Not that Terry Pratchett isn't perfectly capable of coming up with a porcine-based holiday on his own, but when I ran into references about it today, I couldn't help but wonder.
Wikipedia says "the name is a pun on "hogwash", Hogmanay and Watch Night, and possibly on the ancient holiday of Samhain" though it doesn't cite a source.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
terry pratchett, unutterable silliness