Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-18-2008, 12:09 PM   #166
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Damn those ftp protocols!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #167
billbirchall
Enthusiast
billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony E-Reader
Terry Pratchett

My contribution to this thread, is to totally endorse the reading of Terry Pratchett. I was introduced to his books by a relative who has a shop that sells everything Discworld. He supplied me with a number of books and that set me off. I have read 7 on the trot and have just purchased Making Money.The irony is that Pratchett started out as a journalist on our local newspaper and I only found out, when I read his first book.

Any author that can make me laugh out loud,has to be recommended. The beauty of Terry Pratchett books is that you do not have to read them sequentially. My favourite so far, is Night Watch. I do not agree with the person who said that his first books: Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, were not up to the standards of his later books. I thought that they were brilliant and extremely inventive and funny. Incidentally, these two books were made into a TV movie in the UK, and it was a pretty good attempt, to interpret his books.
billbirchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2008, 09:52 AM   #168
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The reason I say it's best to read in published order is the way characters are introduced. Terry doesn't go back over things. so you can miss a lot by reading out of order.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #169
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Just quick update for those interested.

Amazon UK has Terry Pratchett's The Colour of Magic TV adoption DVD available for preorder, with a launch date of 3rd November.

For those who haven't seen it, its definitely a keeper.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #170
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post

Amazon UK has Terry Pratchett's The Colour of Magic TV adoption DVD available for preorder, with a launch date of 3rd November.

Oooo! There's a short video clip there, with wonderful visualizations of many things I remember from the book.

Anybody know if there will be USA versions (regions) of the DVDs??
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 03:17 PM   #171
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post

Actually, I thought The colour of magic wasnt even half as good as Hogfather (Movie-wise).

O loved what they did with Hogfather, but somehow, I was not pleased with Colour of Magic, even though I loved the book. Can't quite put my finger on why though.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #172
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Oooo! There's a short video clip there, with wonderful visualizations of many things I remember from the book.

Anybody know if there will be USA versions (regions) of the DVDs??
Probably not for a while, keeping History in Mind. As Sky One is a UK channel, the DVD has gone up for sale here first.

The same thing happened with Hogfather which took over 6 months to show up up for sale in the US after the UK.

If you've got a multiregion DVD player you could always import it though its will still be a little expensive.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #173
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Actually, I thought The colour of magic wasnt even half as good as Hogfather (Movie-wise).

O loved what they did with Hogfather, but somehow, I was not pleased with Colour of Magic, even though I loved the book. Can't quite put my finger on why though.
I do agree that I enjoyed Hogfather much more, but then again I prefer the later books to the first few.

But I still say that it is an excellent adoption of the first two books, though they did have to streamline it and ended up removing a lot of the side plots.

It may be that some of the elements you enjoyed best got left out or trimmed.

Also, I have to admit that while David Jason was excellent, his portrayal of Rincewind was based completely on the first two books only and Josh Kirby's portrayal of Rincewind. My personal mental Image of Rincewind is more similar to Paul Kidby's.

Still, It was a good show, and definite recommendation for a fan of Pratchetts work. Perhaps not a buy for some, but at lest definitely worth a watch.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:52 AM   #174
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
I loved Hogfather the movie. One of my favorite Pratchett books was Thud. Took me a while to get into Pratchett, but I'm glad I stuck with it.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:10 AM   #175
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I must also thank the recommendation to read Pratchett.
I must say how much I am enjoying his zany, often topical, sense of humour.
I'm up to book 6 in the Discworld series....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #176
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If anyone is looking to purchase the Discworld series or any of the books except one for a very good price, go read the following post...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...rpe#post275435

The books are in secure Mobipocket format and you'll need Windows with Mobipocket Reader.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #177
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

On TV last night ION ran Hogfather. We watched it and I loved how they portrayed Death. I did miss the footnotes. But I am looking forward to eventually reading this one. I'm just now starting Small Gods. I've found out that The Coulor of Magic was released in 2008 not as an animation. Eventually, I'll get a hold of that one to watch.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #178
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I had volumes 4, 5, & 6 queued up at Fictionwise, then got distracted by the Books on Board freebies. So, they are still sitting in my cart at FW, but I betcha not for the $23 the whole order was going to cost. It was the 40% off sale which ended yesterday.

BTW, Equal Rites (book 3 of the series) was magnificent. A teen could enjoy it, but it was full of tongue-in-cheek references that made it fun for an adult.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #179
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I'm about to start Witches Abroad.

So far ... I'm really enjoying the books, and I'm also really glad I am reading them in publication order.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:50 PM   #180
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Witches Abroad is one of my favorites. Don't forget to read the Tiffany Aching books, too. Any time, at this point, I would say, as they don't overlap so much with the others, and you've got enough of a handle on the rest of the witches to have good context for Tiffany.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
terry pratchett, unutterable silliness