Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2011, 03:13 AM   #1
kivsha
kivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle dx
does prs-t1 support it?

does prs-t1 support Hebrew PDF's? i understood it doesn't support Hebrew in txt, in the browser and such, what about PDF?
Thanks!
kivsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kivsha View Post
does prs-t1 support Hebrew PDF's? i understood it doesn't support Hebrew in txt, in the browser and such, what about PDF?
Thanks!
The T1 will read epub, pdf and txt. If you don't get a suitable reply from another knowledgeable Hebrew reader you could attach a small sample (no copyright stuff) of each format, then we can try them out for you.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
kivsha
kivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipsekivsha can illuminate an eclipse

Thanks alot!

I attach a TXT and PDF, with an image of how it is supposed to be.
These formats matter to me. leave epub for now.
(I made these texts myself, so it is not copyrighted)
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Heb Img.bmp (54.4 KB, 226 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Heb PDF.pdf (7.7 KB, 191 views)
File Type: txt Heb TXT.txt (48 Bytes, 164 views)
Old 12-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
pdf looks fine, txt does not.
The pdf can be shown in two sizes (which is a bit strange, as the reader offers 8 sizes actually), the small one definitely too small, the big one on the big side, but it looks ok. Maybe if there was more text, the reflow would react differently.

Although you didn't ask for it, I put the books into calibre, too and converted the pdf to epub. The result is questionable, but not completely bad either (see attached file). There are more competent calibre-users to tell, which settings are required for a good conversion.

The txt shows garbled letters on my laptop, too, so I guess, with the right character set, it should work and then also calibre could use it as a basis for conversion, which would be preferable to pdf.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Microsoft Word - Document1 - admin.epub (5.3 KB, 168 views)
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
kivsha

Is this epub a screenshot from the reader?
This epub is squashed, but readable...
So I guess that with PDF it is ok, I think I'm going to buy this device anyway...
Thanks a-lot!
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivsha View Post
Thanks alot!

I attach a TXT and PDF, with an image of how it is supposed to be.
These formats matter to me. leave epub for now.
(I made these texts myself, so it is not copyrighted)
I was able to save the TXT with UTF-8 encoding such that Hebrew characters were visible on my PC. However, once transferred to the T1 none of the 7 font options would display the TXT correctly.

The T1 does have a built-in Hebrew font (which isn't selectable using the T1 font selection options) so I converted the TXT to EPUB using Calibre and added some css code to
  • reference the T1's Hebrew font
    Code:
    @font-face {font-family: serif, sans-serif, monospace;  src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/DroidSansHebrew.ttf)}
  • display right-to-left
    Code:
    body {direction: rtl}

The results were mixed. The epub displays OK (I think) on the PC in the Calibre Viewer. I've attached the epub so you can check for yourself.

Unfortunately, once transferred to the T1 the standard epub application displays the Hebrew characters but unfortunately it displays them left-to-right not right-to-left (see attached). Not having any experience of RTL languages I don't know whether there is a trick to getting this to work properly.

Alternatively, it's possible that a different Android epub reading app (FBReader or CoolReader) would read the epub correctly. My T1 has not been rooted so I'm afraid I can't check for you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heb_epub.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	80453  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Heb_from_utf8txt.epub (2.4 KB, 274 views)
Old 12-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Alternatively, it's possible that a different Android epub reading app (FBReader or CoolReader) would read the epub correctly. My T1 has not been rooted so I'm afraid I can't check for you
I tried FBReader and it looks the same. CoolReader I uninstalled, so I can't check this one.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Arrow

Adobe Digital Edition doesn't support RTL direction attribute value and Sony reader is using it. I also tried the ebook sample on ADE on PC, same problem.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

seabee's link stated that the PocketBook supports Hebrew correctly. As I have a PocketBook 360 I tried both the TXT and the EPUB. I can confirm that both appear to work correctly as long as you use the PB's FBReader application rather than its Adobe reader application. No hacking was required. See attached screencap of the TXT file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heb_PB_txt.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	80473  
Old 12-29-2011, 05:58 AM   #10
vishcompany
Addict

I was very disappointed with the 302 by pocketbook, but the new line seems to be quite good.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
I was very disappointed with the 302 by pocketbook, but the new line seems to be quite good.
Yes I don't think I'll be buying from PocketBook again. I found the PB360 to be a very nice 5" reader when I bought it (mid-2010, so not Pearl eInk)). It's also a tinkerer's delight because it's so customisable. What I didn't like was that every time they released a new firmware it was worse than the previous one. The last one they released for mine was Dec 2010 and was a beta version. Here we are in Dec 2011 and the bugs have not been fixed. It's obviously been abandoned.

Nevertheless, if I needed to read Hebrew books it would have to be a consideration as none of the Sonys would appear to be suitable.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
kivsha

Thank you all guys!

Quote:
Did anyone actually try a different reading app on Sony's PRS?

By the way jackie_w, I have got a Kindle DX in-house for a year and a half now, and I didn't see even a single update by now, eventhough cheaper products of anazon already have more advanced features such as columns cropping...