Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 09-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Wiki forum?

I have had some ideas for the wiki, and would like to get some conversation going about the best way to implement them, as well as learn from people more knowledgeable than me about some of the limitations.

I am aware that I am able to edit the wiki, and that their are talk pages, but this seems to be a better location for the level of dialog i'm looking for. If the wiki and its maintenance do not justify their own forum, what forum would it belong in?
aapezzuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Here or the lounge would work. But since you started it here let's just keep it here for the present.

OK, what do you propose doing with the Wiki?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

i dont know what app this site uses, but i know that most CMSes offer some sort of modual plug in system. There are things like the table of what format work with what ebook readers. Those would be better implemented as some sort of database back end with a user interface on the front that allows for customizing what your looking at. Hopefully we could also work some sort of sort by feature into it.

similarly, comparing formats to each other would be a helpful thing to have, and would also make more since as dynamic content.

I was also wondering if we would want to have a separate name space for format names, or if the three letter extension they are know by would be best?

basicly, i have been looking at the wiki wondering how it could be properly maintained, and the answer is... some of the most dynamic content needs a better system.

It would be so cool if the different reader pages could each have a bit of code that had something like {ReaderCompatibleFormats:PRS-505} and in the page it output a comma separated list of all the formats in the data base.

so what now?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:34 AM   #4
aapezzuto
Zealot

ok, i have started looking into options for transclusion (including something from somewhere else)...

hopefully someone who has the power to alter the wiki install will contact me regarding this...

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/TestBook
Old 09-28-2007, 08:17 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Thanks for the pointer, aapezzuto! I am going to look into it and contact you.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert