Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-06-2010, 04:50 AM   #16
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon win either way. The majority of people who buy an iPad will probably not be existing eBook readers, and Amazon will still benefit via the Kindle app for the iPad.
Maybe a quiet deal has been struck to allow the Kindle app on the iPad, which is why we aren't seeing aggressive pricing on the Kindles in the run-up to the iPad launch.

Just a thought.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:54 AM   #17
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I agree, mostly.

The vast majority of users responded that they intend to use the iPad to browse the web, but most of the public is yet unaware that the iPad does not support Flash, and cannot match the desktop browsing experience. Thus, for browsing, the iPad is no better than a primitive mobile device and it cannot access a large number of site (or can only access "lite" versions for mobiles).
I guess that discounts the 75 million people who already own iPhones/iPods not to mention the millions that watch the news and have seen this discussed on tv shows.

Only really stupid people are going to be surprised and those are the ones that just assume things.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #18
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I wondered this myself.... The haters can crone all they want, but the iPad is going to have a big effect, and ripples to follow. If I were Amazon I would discount and lock as many people as I could into their revenue stream...... Perhaps they have a secrete weapon of their own?
I guess, their "weapon" is pretty simple: Having the Kindle app on as many systems as possible.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #19
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Perhaps Amazon believes that the reading experience on the iPad will not turn out to be everything it is hyped up to be. And that the Ipad is more of a threat to the netbook makers and to the iPod touch than it is to dedicated readers, or rather that this is how it will play out 3-6 months after the launch of the iPad when the initial euphoria will have died down.

After all, Apple's main focus for this new device is multimedia and the internet. These users probably outnumber avid readers 10 to 1. It will have an impact for casual readers, but would those ever buy a Kindle?

And in case the iPad turns out to be a great reading device Amazon and others will just have to come up with something better with color and a new screen technology. That would take time, of course. I am sure they are working on it, but the technology isn't ready yet. And in the mean time they could still sell ebooks on the iPad.

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-06-2010 at 08:29 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #20
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchll View Post
It's been just a matter of weeks since Steve Jobs announced the impending release of the new Apple (AAPL) iPad tablet.

A ChangeWave survey of 3,171 consumers -- conducted in the aftermath of that Apple announcement (Feb 1-10) -- shows a huge wave of pre-launch demand for the iPad and offers key evidence that the Apple tablet will have a major impact on the e-Reader, laptop and home entertainment markets.

Moreover, the survey shows Amazon (AMZN) and its e-Reader competitors are poised to take a big hit early on from the iPad's entry into their market.

http://www.investorplace.com/changew...ng-amazon.html

Thanks for the laugh.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #21
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I'm waiting to see what happens. If Amazon is happy with its present level of Kindle sales--i.e. selling to people who read a lot (who are more likely to read for long periods and thus want e-ink), I imagine they'll keep on making Kindles.

On the other hand, I already do some of my reading on my iPod Touch--because it fits in my jeans pocket so I always have it with me. Form factor does matter, even for a Kindle user like me. But I can't read on it for very long; my eyes get tired. This is not usually a problem in a waiting room or a checkout line, and it is an active bonus when reading in bed; when my eyes get tired it's time to go to sleep. However I don't think I would want to do the majority of my reading on it.

If iPads (or some non-Apple equivalent) turn out to be the book-container of choice in the long term and squeeze out dedicated readers, I guess I'll buy up a couple of used kindles and tuck them away in the closet for replacements when my kindle dies.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #22
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I'm a bit surprised that Amazon hasn't preemptively acted to entice customers into buying a Kindle before the iPad comes out.
Kindle = e-reader ; iPad = tablet
Not the uses, not the same need, they are not directly competting.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #23
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
Only really stupid people are going to be surprised and those are the ones that just assume things.
Which means that about 90% of iPad buyers are gonna be real, real surprised.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Kindle = e-reader ; iPad = tablet
Not the uses, not the same need, they are not directly competing.
I do think a lot of buyers will be reading eBooks on an iPad. So yes, it can possible be a direct competitor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #25
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
Stupid is pretty harsh. Let's just call them uninformed.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #26
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
And don't forget that Amazon had (alleged) tremendous sales of Kindles at Xmas when the other ebook manufacturers mostly missed the Dec. 25 delivery date. These readers are currently locked into Amazon. And although (as noted in the Kindle forum) there are increasing numbers of Kindles appearing on Craigslist, ebay, etc. - the Kindle is a totally different product from the iPad - it's the media that's conflating the two - so they can use the phrase "Kindle killer" over & over. And don't forget the Kindle app.

iPad sale will initially be huge - from the core Apple (pardon the pun) fan base and the gotta have the latest gadget fan base. The interesting phase will be after the buyers begin using them, and we get a clearer picture of what they can & can't do. And just how many people will use them instead of eInk readers.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #27
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
Which means that about 90% of iPad buyers are gonna be real, real surprised.
I'd say based on the surprise levels on iPhone forums that it would be more accurate that 10% of people will be surprised.

People will still be able to watch Youtube, Vimeo, Hulu (when they release their app), etc on an iPad without even realizing that Flash is missing. I also see this has an opportunity for website designers to expand beyond Flash into new directions.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #28
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do think a lot of buyers will be reading eBooks on an iPad. So yes, it can possible be a direct competitor.
But most of then will be peaple who haven't an e-reader and don't read enough to justifiy paying for an e-reader. But, the iPad, being able to do other stuff, will match their needs.
Some peaple will look for an e-reader, and get a kindle, some peaple will look for a tablet, and get an iPad.
They are two differants devices, fitting differants needs.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-06-2010 at 04:24 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #29
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
As Fox News tells you... don't believe the polls. Well, unless it was a poll they conducted of their viewership which always seems to agree heavily with what they say. Like over 70% of "Americans" are against the health care bill. We'll of course they don't say it's 70% of Fox News viewers.

I expect that if you poll people coming into the Apple store a high percentage of them would consider the iPad would be the first "ebook reader" that they would buy.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #30
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'll be in the minority who are considering the iPad as a predominantly reading-oriented device. I'm going to hold out for a while and see if developers make some good software for reading/document handling that takes advantage of the iPad's hardware much more practically and efficiently than a pageturn animation. I'd also like to see where other products are going (including reflective screens), and how Apple responds in gen2.

If I had to pick between a Kindle and an iPad, it would be a pretty easy choice for me, even though I'm not an Apple fan. Perhaps if the Kindle were $100 or less, I'd be more convinced.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote