Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In what programs would the nav.html to displayed in place of the NCX ToC when using the ToC control if the NCX was not created ?
Any ebook-reading program that claims to support epub3.

Now move on, Jon. Your point is irrelevant to the discussion and is only being used to increase your chances of being able to inject your tired anti-epub3 rhetoric. I've warned you about this already. In this very thread, in fact.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:06 PM   #32
Peter Ahlstrom
Connoisseur
Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Okay, so, I was trying to use the nav.xhtml as the TOC, but the preview window in Sigil will not show the fonts correctly on that one file. Is this a Sigil bug?

The nav.xhtml has this at the top:

<style>
ol {
list-style-type: none;
}
</style>

I moved that to my stylesheet instead and linked the stylesheet as usual, but suddenly everything's numbered in the preview window, and the other styles from the stylesheet are not applied.

Looks correct in Apple Books though.

Last edited by Peter Ahlstrom; 11-09-2021 at 04:12 PM.
Peter Ahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2021, 04:27 PM   #33
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
My guess is your external stylesheet link is incorrect or the stylesheet is invalid and is being ignored.

You might want to run the stylesheet validator on that sheet to rule that out.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:31 PM   #34
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW, since a nav.xhtml must stay machine readable (as it replaces the functionality of the NCX from epub2) be careful when hand editing it to make sure you have not broken the rules for nav files structure.

Some devs move the nav to the end of the document spine but set it as linear="no" and then use an simple html toc edited to present to the user as the official table of contents.
Old 11-09-2021, 06:08 PM   #35
Peter Ahlstrom
Connoisseur
Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not passing ePubCheck validation with this error:

nav.xhtml 8 294 Col: 70: ERROR(RSC-007): Referenced resource "Styles/style.css" could not be found in the EPUB.

But...it's there. Here's my nav.xhtml header:
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8"/>
<title>Contents</title>
<link href="../Styles/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
</head>

and here's another xhtml file's header:

<head>
<title>Preface</title>
<link href="../Styles/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
</head>

The reference to the stylesheet is exactly the same... I also removed the meta line and that made no difference. So weird.

OOHHHH I think I got it now. The problem is that Sigil fakes nav.xhtml's location in the sidebar. I opened the ePub in BBEdit and it shows that nav.xhml is NOT inside the Text folder like Sigil shows. It's in the OEBPS folder. So the stylesheet reference needs to remove the "../"

Now to see if that works!

And it does, perfectly.

Last edited by Peter Ahlstrom; 11-09-2021 at 06:17 PM.
Advert
Old 11-09-2021, 06:25 PM   #36
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Sigil does not fake any location for any resource. BookBrowser is not a file browser and BookBrowser's folders are virtual folders with each representing the files of a specific media-type. This need not be the same as the physical location (full path) of that file unlessyou set it to be.

To see full paths for any entry in BookBrowser, you simply mouse over that entry and the tooltip will show the full path of that file.

Alternatively, you can set a Sigil Preference to always show the full paths in BookBrowser.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #37
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ahlstrom View Post
OOHHHH I think I got it now. The problem is that Sigil fakes nav.xhtml's location in the sidebar. I opened the ePub in BBEdit and it shows that nav.xhml is NOT inside the Text folder like Sigil shows. It's in the OEBPS folder. So the stylesheet reference needs to remove the "../"

Now to see if that works!

And it does, perfectly.
You can also Tools > Restructure Epub to Sigil Norm.

This will move all files to organized folders:
  • HTML/XHTML
    • ../Text/example.html
  • CSS
    • ../Styles/example.css
  • Images
    • ../Images/example.jpg
  • Fonts
    • ../Fonts/example.jpg
  • (Audio/Video + all other [Misc] move into their own folders too.)

and Sigil will update all your code as well.

So if your TOC links pointed to:

Code:
<a href="Chapter01.xhtml">
it will update to:

Code:
<a href="../Text/Chapter01.xhtml">
Side Note: This file moving/renaming is what older versions of Sigil forced upon opening EPUBs. Now, it's optional.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #38
Peter Ahlstrom
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Sigil does not fake any location for any resource. BookBrowser is not a file browser and BookBrowser's folders are virtual folders with each representing the files of a specific media-type. This need not be the same as the physical location (full path) of that file unlessyou set it to be.

To see full paths for any entry in BookBrowser, you simply mouse over that entry and the tooltip will show the full path of that file.

Alternatively, you can set a Sigil Preference to always show the full paths in BookBrowser.

Hope this helps.
It does, thanks. Could have fooled me though, and did—because the Book Browser mimics a file browser in every way except for the folder placement of nav.xhtml and the ordering of the files.

I never noticed the mouseover text since I never hovered long enough for it to pop up.
Old 11-10-2021, 03:45 PM   #39
KevinH
Sigil Developer

In the old days, Sigil did use those to represent file locations, but the epub spec does not require or specify any particular folder names or paths. When Sigil went to 1.0 it dropped those non-spec "standard folders", and added the ability to show full book paths and to move both files and folders. These "standard folders" then became virtual folders that grouped files by media-type so that multiple-selection, renaming, and etc all continues to work as expected. As Tex2002ans said, if you want these two different representations to coincide like the old days, just use "Restructure Epub to Sigil Norm". Otherwise feel free touse whatever folder naming and structure you want that meets the epub spec.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:53 PM   #40
Peter Ahlstrom
Connoisseur

The structure must match in the book I'm looking at because I've been using my years-old Sigil-produced ebooks as starting points to make new ones.
Old 11-12-2021, 02:00 PM   #41
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ahlstrom View Post
The structure must match in the book I'm looking at because I've been using my years-old Sigil-produced ebooks as starting points to make new ones.
That's very-likely the case. Even a decent majority of commercially sold epubs will match sigil's former structural requirements. It's just that you can longer rely on ALL epubs matching that structure (especially if they originate elsewhere) because Sigil no longer forces epubs into any kind structural "standard" when first opened any more.

I leave the "Show Full Paths in Book Browser" preference setting on at all times, so that I always know for sure what the structure of any particular epub is.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote