Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 08-04-2016, 03:32 AM   #1
nikoski
Zealot
nikoski began at the beginning.

Device: none
found more than one calibre: smart device / wireless device?

win10 buid 1607
CC 5.1.4.2
calibre 2.63

Recently (since some 3-4 weeks?) on each connect by wireless the following options dialog shows up from which to choose:

found more than one calibre:

smart device client (port 9090)
wireless device client

What does this mean? And why do i have to choose each time?

Last edited by nikoski; 08-04-2016 at 03:49 AM.
nikoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:35 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoski View Post
win10 buid 1607
CC 5.1.4.2
calibre 2.63

Recently (since some 3-4 weeks?) on each connect by wireless the following options dialog shows up from which to choose:

found more than one calibre:

smart device client (port 9090)
wireless device client

What does this mean? And why do i have to choose each time?
Excellent question. What it looks like is that the machine running calibre has more than one network interface, or at least more than one IP address. CC uses two methods to find calibre, mDNS (also known as zeroconf and bonjour) and a broadcast search for the driver. In your case it seems that the two methods are returning different IP addresses or ports.

If you send me a CC debug log I should be able to see what is going on. CC logs what mDNS and the broadcast find. See How do I get help? for instructions. Please erase the multipie.co.uk address when sending the debug log.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:52 AM   #3
nikoski
Zealot
nikoski began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
...the machine running calibre has more than one network interface, or at least more than one IP address...
Yes, you are right...thanks a lot!

My PC is at the moment a laptop on a dock with WiFi set to auto-connect and a LAN-connection by cable plugged into the dock and active as well.

With one of the networks deactivated: the dialog above does not appear. The issue is solved.

Btw: is there a reason why one of the devices on the dialog above is called "SMART device client" and the other "WIRELESS device..."?

Last edited by nikoski; 08-04-2016 at 04:56 AM.
nikoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:23 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoski View Post
Btw: is there a reason why one of the devices on the dialog above is called "SMART device client" and the other "WIRELESS device..."?
Back in the early days CC finding calibre wasn't particularly reliable. The problem was (is) that lots of home routers block mDNS. To work around this problem we added the "broadcast" method. At the time I wanted different strings so I could tell at a glance from the logs which IP address source was being used, and I never got around to changing it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote