Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
CaptainPhil
CaptainPhil began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Newspaper Graphics on Kindle 3 / DX

I'm in the debate between the DX and Kindle 3. Although I'm frustrated, being from Canada, the restriction, I'm getting past it.

I mostly want to read books, but I read the daily newspaper (Edmonton Journal) and would like to do that electronically, but I'm discouraged at the idea of no images/pictures.

My understanding is that Kindle shows NO images/pictures in the daily newspaper.

Can anyone confirm/deny you can/can't see images in newspapers in either the Kindle 2 / 3 / DX? This will go a great way towards deciding which I'll be purchasing, I think.

Much thanks.
CaptainPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Well, I don't have a subscription to a newspaper via Amazon, so I can't weigh in on that. I think it's up to the newspaper whether they include pictures in the subscription.

I do sometimes load up on The Huffington Post from Calibre, and that does show pictures on my DX. It's about the quality of the screensavers on the DX, which is pretty decent. But remember, I've got a DXi, not the graphite, which had the improved Pearl screen. So pics might look better on that.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
CaptainPhil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post

I do sometimes load up on The Huffington Post from Calibre,
I'm not reallly interested in Calibre as a newspaper. I'm stuck in my ways, I guess, but I'd like the complete local paper.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
See if your paper has a recipe in Calibre, if not either make your own or put in a request for one. I use Calibre for The Washington Post and am very pleased with it. No, it's not exactly like the print edition but mine has plenty of illustrations.

If you really want your newspaper on the Kindle go to Pressdisplay.com and see if they have your newspaper. It will be exactly like the print edition. You can also download to your Kindle via USB.

Also, if Amazon has your newspaper there is a free trial, 14 days IIRC, and you can see if you like the Kindle version.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
CaptainPhil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
If you really want your newspaper on the Kindle go to Pressdisplay.com and see if they have your newspaper. It will be exactly like the print edition. You can also download to your Kindle via USB.
My paper does use Press Display, which I've used on my iPod Touch (just tiny reading). Will the kindle's edition appear exactly like the Press Display version? I'd like to be able to download the paper without any computer access, as I travel quite a bit.

I know, I know, picky, picky picky!!!
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
CaptainPhil

So? Newspapers... do you see graphics on the Kindle2/3, or on the DX?
Old 08-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Phil,

Why not install "Kindle for PC", buy a single copy of whatever newspaper interests you, and see what it looks like? It will appear exactly the same on a "real" Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPhil View Post
My paper does use Press Display, which I've used on my iPod Touch (just tiny reading). Will the kindle's edition appear exactly like the Press Display version? I'd like to be able to download the paper without any computer access, as I travel quite a bit.

I know, I know, picky, picky picky!!!
AFAIK, you need a computer to download the Kindle file and then sideload it on your Kindle. The pages appear exactly like the paper edition but the articles are listed separately. I find that everything works fine except the comics. There's no way to zoom on the comic pages at least on the Kindle file.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I get a blog--the NYT Latest News blog, as it happens. Yes, it has pictures.

If you want, I can try the Edmonton Journal for you--Amazon has it--since if I cancel within 14 days I don't have to pay. However I don't have any way to compare it to the paper version. I could go to pressdisplay.com, which also has it--even in a mobile browsing version for small screens like the Kindle's (at least, my screen is small because I have a K2--if you get a DXG your screen will obviously be bigger.)

Let me know.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #10
CaptainPhil

Would there be any difference between what I see on PressDiplay and what I would see on Kindle?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPhil View Post
Would there be any difference between what I see on PressDiplay and what I would see on Kindle?
I'll check it today.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPhil;
I doubt if many here have seen Press Display. The kindle newspapers are completely unlike press display. While press display is basically a scan of the entire newspaper sheet by sheet, the kindle newspapers are more like their books, with"chapters" comprised of each newstory.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #13
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Just to be clear - I subscribe to the Chicago Tribune through Amazon on my Kindle and you are correct - there are no illustrations.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #14
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
I don't know if Canada falls under the out-of-US rules that are imposed, say, in Europe, but I usually don't get images. (To be fair, sometimes I get them with the Boston Globe, but it has been a surprise.)
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #15
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
In all honesty Calibre is a great program...

there's also instapaper but that might take while if it's the whole paper that you want.

but in a sense newspapers and magazines would be nice if they were a la carte but that's never been done
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kindle 3, kindle sc